1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain flasks

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by parnass, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I've noticed at the liquor store that cheaper brands of bourbon now come in plastic bottles. I should look at the recycling # to see what type it is.

As for the taste of alchohol stored in stainless steel... I haven't actually tried it for extended periods yet, but since the subjext has come up I guess I'll have experiment. Anything for science... :) I believe Bruner might have some insight on this subject.

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I keep an 8 ounce Coleman stainless steel flask from Walmart filled with Bourbon in my BOB. I'm pretty sure that it had the same warning too.

Every once and a while I "test" the contents of the flask and everything seems ok. The taste is normal and the little synthetic seal is holding up.

The only thing that is getting attacked by the alcohol is my liver ;)

Dan

:)

3. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Yeah. But WHAT a way to go, eh? ;D

4. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Bruner,

Thanks for the answer, I'm going to have to get one and "test" it out...... Being in Texas, Cabo Wabo Tequila will be the first one. This is a job I am going to like.....

Jim

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

This is terribly off topic, but please give the Red Rocker my best regards ;)

Dan

:)

6. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Dan,

Consider it done......

Jim

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I bought 4-ounce and 8-ounce round, soft plastic (HDPE) Nalgene bottles at a Cabelas store. These wide mouth bottles will tide me over until I find a flask.

The wide opening makes cleaning these bottles easier than the whisky flasks I've seen. Though the bottles are round, they are small enough to fit easily in jacket pockets.

8. Peter Atwood

Peter Atwood Empty Pockets

I picked up a couple of the tiny flasks mentioned at the beginning of this thread. They are not bad but I wish they didn't have the keychain dealy on them because the way it is attached causes the neck of the flask to be tilted slightly off center. Also you can't remove the flat sheet metal assembly that holds the ring. But beyond that minor quibble the thing is kind of nifty. :)

9. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Peter, thanks for the comments on the keychain flask.

10. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I have a 0.3l Platypus, which is just small enough to fit in my waist pack. Half a litre is too big.

I also some of the small bottles from Backpacking Light. The ones linked are 10ml. I use them for carrying antiseptic in first-aid kits. They have smaller ones, which I've used for fire-starting chemicals. It's an interesting site to poke around in.

11. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hey, check out what I just found on luigi's blog! These look pretty cool, and they can hold all kinds of stuff, including liquids. I want a few! :gimme:

Here's the official website, and here's some interesting information from the Equipped to Survive Forums; apparently these are PET bottle pre-forms (what will become bottles after they're subjected to an injection-moulding process), hence the compatibility of the caps. Very interesting!

I wonder how hard it'd be to get a bunch of these in bulk from a PET manufacturer... :thinking:

12. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Well, it might be your lucky day! Snow Peak has just announced a brand new line of products for their 50th anniversary. Included are new Ti flasks in several sizes! Of course, it wouldn't be Snow Peak if they were actually in stock.... so you might have to get in touch and bide your time -- but they're out there. I have several Snow Peak items, and they are all excellent products that I consider absolutely essential EDC for backpacking. I am planning on getting one or two of these flasks at some point too! I got a postcard from them the other day announcing the new products and the anniversary. It pays to advertise!

Link - scroll to the bottom.

Titanium Flask (S)
    T-011
    Capacity: 3.7 fl oz
    Weight: 1.9 oz

Titanium Flask (M)
    T-012
    Capacity: 5 fl oz
    Weight: 2.3 oz

Titanium Flask (L)
    T-013
    Capacity: 6 fl oz
    Weight: 2.7 oz

Titanium Round Flask
    T-015
    Capacity: 6.7 fl oz
    Weight: 0.8 oz (?!)

Titanium Flat Flask
    T-014
    Capacity: 5.6 fl oz
    Weight: 0.8 oz (?! again!)

13. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool! Thanks, souptree (and also to whoever bugged Snow Peak until they decided to make some smaller flasks)! :)

14. Peter Atwood

Peter Atwood Empty Pockets

It would be nice if you could actually order the Keep2go tubes or the Snowpeak small flask but neither seems to be available yet.

Yeah, I know, sounds familiar doesn't it? :p The big difference here though is these are mass produced products.

15. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

It'd be even nicer if Snow Peak started putting captive caps on their flasks. Still, the smaller flasks are a step in the right direction. As for the Keep2Go containers, I guess one would have to contact them directly by email or phone to inquire about an order. No "Click HERE to Buy" buttons to be seen...

I know I'd Like a few sooner rather than later...

:laugh:

Take your time, Peter! Can't rush good things! :knuppel2:

16. Blackheart

Speaking of flasks...

I was looking for a lightweight, collapsible flask or pouch to stash a small supply of water in a jacket or vest pocket and ran across these 20oz. Flexi Flasks. Apparently they are (or were, as everyone seems to be out of stock) made by Nalgene and can be boiled, frozen, or nuked (supposedly).

I wanted a couple to try and ended up buying a lot of ten off eBay. Sooo... if anyone's interested, keep an eye on the BST forum as there will probably be seven or eight of them showing up for sale soon.

17. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Platypus makes a whole line of collapsible bottles like that in a variety of styles and sizes.

• Collapsible design allows you to roll bottle up for easy, compact storage
    • Bottle is tough enough to be frozen or boiled
    • Modular design lets you create your own system
    • Gussted bottom keeps bottle upright for easier filling

Go to moosejaw.com or rei.com and search for Platypus. I carry one empty as a backup while backpacking, in case a Nalgene goes off a cliff.

18. Blackheart

I had forgotten about the Platypus products. The gusseted bottom looks like it would make life easier. I might pick up a couple of their larger (Water Tank) sizes for the BOB. Nalgenes have a wide-mouth opening, don't know off hand if it would make any difference to me. Looks like the Platypus is a bit less expensive.

19. EDCPHREAK

EDCPHREAK Empty Pockets

The key chain version is a really cool EDC size. I'm going to get one for the heck of it....

20. Stick_Scholar

Stick_Scholar Empty Pockets

I ran across some of these at a local bookstore. They hold 1 oz. of whatever one wants to put in them, I guess, but I was leery to get one only to have it languish in a drawer with the rest of my junk. Anybody use one to any degree of satisfaction, for whatever (not just to carry liquor)?