1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Cao87, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Actually, I keep a Nitecore Tube on my car key ring. Works fine. Said key ring is usually either dangling from a belt loop or in winter in the coat pocket; generally the only item in that pocket.

To each his own...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal and Wishoot like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It seems to me that the idea of a Keychain Light is as much to make sure that you always have a light as it is to see a lock when using your keys?
    I also have no clear use for the light on the Keychain as I NEVER end up using it as I always have a light clipped to my pocket but I am still happy that I have it and never use it instead of that one time when I need it and do not have it!

Tony Sal and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I always have the Thorfire 007 stainless clipped in RF pocket. I feel naked without it. Once upon a time I did carry a cheapo 5mm light on keychain as a backup. Never once used it. Finally decided it was just taking up space. Replaced it with a single purpose bottle opener & life is good.

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats funny but I dont remember the last time I opened a bottle?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Since most good beer from around the world is bottled & capped, mine gets a lot of use. Most beeristas won't be found far from a good bottle opener. American "generic mass-market" beer has pop-tops or twist off caps. The good stuff opens old-school for the most part.

Tony Sal and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Some of us do not drink thus no need for bottle opening.

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I've read about that...:rolleyes:

8. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I had such good luck with the original Nitecore Tube (which was a freebie from BH Photo) that I bought two of the new ones (V2) in yellow for my two rig's keychains. I dismissed the original Tube as some sort of crappy gimmick until I started carrying it and found it had not only long life but a variable mode and switch lockout as well. The only hit on it for me is the exposed bulb. Not worried about breakage but it can be a little blinding in the dark. But for a $10 keychain light? Fuhgeddiboudit.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Di you find the PWM distracting on the lower levels of the original Tube? Is it any better on the newer version?

10. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

As I have no idea what that is, my answer is no.

11. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear that you are liking it. I really like the 10180 for a keychain light. They’re a nice size and sufficiently bright for most tasks, rechargeable and rather durable.

12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Great to hear. After hearing about the Tiki on this thread, I am considering one. But I am also looking at Rovyvon as well.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation. Basically, the LED is either on or off. To dim the light, the circuit flashes the light off and on. For 25% of maximum brightness, the light is on 25% of the time. If this is done quickly enough, it is not noticeable. The original Tube had a pretty slow PWM rate, and the flashing was discernible to some users, such as myself, who are more sensitive to PWM.

14. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Well, I never noticed on the original Tube I've had for some years and I don't notice it on the V2 version either. Good thing that it's a non-issue to me and most Tube buyers (based on the countless positive reviews on the web).

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

ThruNite Ti3 with Eneloop AAA since about five years now, still fits the bill.

May be replaced with a Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 (14500 battery) IF i can manage to reduce the number of keys on my keychain ...