1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Flash Drive: How do you carry it?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by rockingthe2, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rockingthe2

rockingthe2 Loaded Pockets

A bit of background, I've got a LaCie MosKeyto 16GB drive on my keys. It's got 2 attachment points, one on the drive and one on the cover. I was (<- Keyword there) carrying it on the cover attachment with a split ring, but it fell off yesterday and I noticed it missing earlier today. When I found it, it had been run over by a truck (~5000lbs, nothing too heavy) and sitting outside all day. Thankfully it still works but I'm waiting for the glue to dry to see if it's still usable. Does anybody else carry one of these and if anybody does; have you found a way to attach both the drive and the cover to the keyring while maintaining usability?

[​IMG]

These were taken just a few days ago to show how it was carried

2. NCDawg

NCDawg Loaded Pockets

I just pocket carry mine. Its a small 4g flip style, so no worry of a cover.

3. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

I have carried three that all crashed on me after 6months of EDC. They don't seem to be rugged enough. Complete data loss. :(

4. calipsoii

calipsoii Loaded Pockets

LaCie's IAmAKey has served me well for well over a year now. Very durable metal housing, contacts are very scratch-resistant and it's definitely not going to fall off my keychain.

[​IMG]

5. kubolaw

kubolaw Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying around one of these (link) for a couple of years attached to a swivel clip via split ring. After losing a few flash drives from my keychain I wanted one that had a very sturdy attachment mechanism. Clip makes it easy enough to take on and off my keyring (although not quite as simple as the "cap attached" designs as in the OP or like the Lexar Firefly series). I also started using TrueCrypt more diligently.

6. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

mine stays in a pocket on my backpack. I don't carry it on key rings, i've lost two that way

7. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I'm with you. I lost an 8GB keychain drive last year and I'm seriously debating trusting another...maybe in pill fob?

Heath

8. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Lacie Imakey. I have yet to have any issues with it. I absolutely love the thing and it is my go to drive. I take that back there is one issue ... 4gbs is not enough memory. Should have bought the 16gb. :)

9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Thats too bad. I use mine on a daily basis for over a year now. Actually i have yet to have one fail. Better than the old 3.5 disks that would corrupt if you looked directly at it.

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have the same issue with mine (although mine was a Christmas present either one or two years ago)
    It has lived on my keyring since I got it, and it has been faultless that whole time (other than not having enough room)

I also have a different 4gb (EDIT- now 16gb) thumdrive in my wallet, it's more of a backup though, I keep a scan of my passport, drivers license, insurance paperwork, and receipts and pictures of all my pricey valuables (laptop, cameras etc) on it.

11. clickstop

clickstop Empty Pockets

Don't give up hope on these little things yet! A simple mod to the cover should do fine. I did the same with my Staples Relay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you drill two (very tiny) holes on the cover, you should be able to insert a wire from the inside of the cover that would go through both holes that can wrap around the keyring. I used paperclip wire for mine, but I'm sure you could use something stronger. No more lost covers, and the flash drive is still super easy to remove and use. Good luck!

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Keeping a smaller memory stick in a pill fob seems a great idea - much better attachment point, and kept save from scratches and other damage inside (not that USB drives are particularly weak, but it never hurts).

The stick I use is a 4gb Integral one - mainly chosen for its shiny finish - that came with a wee leatherish 'case' - this lets me put a loop of paracord on the normal attachment point (which I expect to fail pretty quickly to be honest, same as most other drives) and then close the flap of the case over it too - so the velcro 'lid' holds it in place and takes some of the stress from the split ring.
    I will admit that I carry it in a pocket, not on a keychain, but it seems to have held up so far...

13. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I have one of those very tiny drives which fits flat in my All-ett wallet without being noticed.

14. Norzarie

Norzarie Empty Pockets

After 8 months my Lacie Cookey died as well. I bought a metal Easystore at Best Buy and put a 1/4" split ring on it, and it's the best design I've ever had.

15. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

simple 8gb 'Sandisk cruzer micro' on my key ring, been on there about 6 months and still holding up pretty well.

RS.

16. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

Kingston 8GB.I haven't got any files on it but it runs perfectly and there's no risk of losing it (except if I would be mugged...).Keep it attached to my keychain on a carabiner.
    [​IMG]

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

The 3 1/2s were not that bad. I folded one over in a binder and it still worked. I miss cassettes too. I could throw a Judas Priest in the back of the mustang and grab an Ac/Dc no problem. Can’t do that with a CD and we have been stuck with them for two decades. ;)

Edit: why did the Judas Priest turn blue? Dam f'n marketing...
    edit edit: and then gone...

18. mayhem

mayhem Empty Pockets

Sent my WhizKey 8gb for a warranty claim today. Worked well albeit slowish (typical for these kinds of drives) for about a year and a half. Did some digging around and found an unopened 4gb IMAKEY that I think I bought from ebay a while back.. using that for now.. hopefully works better than the Whiz.

19. Scott83

Scott83 Loaded Pockets

I was carrying a LaCie iamakey, but one day it suddenly stopped working. I was not impressed. Haven't replaced it yet; haven't figured out what to replace it with.

20. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

which one you carry neutrontech ? I used to have a SD cared that could transform into a USB chip, carried it in my Palm Treo. I sort of miss it, but then again, I have most what I need in the cloud.