1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain EDC - how do you define this ?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by AlexZar, Jan 19, 2019.

?

What is your awareness level about key holder/organizer tool ?

1. Use key ring, have no idea what you're talking about

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Aware of such solution, but feels sceptical, prefer key ring

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. Aware and even tried some soft of, wasn't impressed

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Oh yeah, use one of these, prefer over the key mess on the ring

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. AlexZar

AlexZar Loaded Pockets

Sure, if the keys need to be switched on daily basis, the rings are still probably the only way to go

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have one key for the house and another for the car, which live on different rings. The house key is in an Orbitkey leather strap with a selection of tools (pliers, scissors, seat-belt cutter, combi-tool, and USB stick), along with a Nitecore Thumb light and a TrackR tracking device.

Moshe ben David and Moose like this.
  3. geogecko

geogecko Empty Pockets

Can you provide some details on this setup? I like it. Is that a 6 or 8mm delta quick link (stainless?)? Also, what size split rings are you using, and what material are those made of. I was originally looking up stainless split rings, but the more I read about them when they are that small, is that they are nearly impossible to open by hand. So now I’ve been looking at titanium ones, and don’t want to buy the wrong size because they are rather expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

TEC Accessories market 'kits' of split rings in a range of sizes; kits also include some oval ones. You can find these on Amazon as well as from the usual crowd of on-line sellers of the stuff we all buy... kits are generally under $10.

IF you can find a locksmith shop or maybe stop by the locksmith counter at Home Depot or Lowes you may also be able to buy just loose split rings relatively cheap. For a while I had an actual locksmith B&M shop nearby and I bought a bunch of SS split rings in varied sizes real cheap that have worked out for me... but they closed when the owner chose to retire.

I do not have nor have tried any Ti split rings; I usually use a very small jeweler's type flat screwdriver to pry open the SS split rings. No problem.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

geogecko likes this.
  5. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I buy split ring packs at Wally world or a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You can get brass, polished, or charcoal colored. They don't last forever, but I haven't broke one yet. I use a set of split ring pliers from fishing department at Wally world. They work great on even the tiniest split rings I use for my keychains.

geogecko likes this.
  6. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

The carabiner is about 6 mm and screws shut, so nothing quick about it. The screw is 8mm and it is 316 steel 60kn, bought cheaply from China. The splitrings are 11mm outer measurement, 10mm inner. I guess they are stainless. They were bought in a tacleshop (place where they sell fishing rods) so are meant to be in the occasional contact with water. They can be hard to open but I have plenty of implements to pry them open with...[​IMG]

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you need SS or titanium splint rings? Have you had aluminium ones fail on you?

8. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Aluminium? Surely regular splitrings used with keys are ss? Aluminium cant hold the curve

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I've never seen an aluminum split ring, but aluminum does not tolerate repeated bending & flexing well. Not really sure what real advantage titanium would have...theoretically lighter, but the difference in weight on something as small as a split ring is miniscule. For example, I have 2 1xAAA lights--one titanium, the other stainless steel....a whopping 7 grams difference. For those in the U.S.A. who are metric challenged, that is 1/4 oz.

10. geogecko

geogecko Empty Pockets

Thanks, I ended up getting the 6mm delta quick lock, which is really nice, wasn’t aware there were threads on both sides of the screw lock either, so it’s nice and smooth even after it disengages the one side.

The 10mm Ti split rings are kinda a disappointment though, they deform with anything more than about a 1.5mm opening of the split...I’m guessing the stainless ones hold the spring tension better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

For us in the US, it is really easy to get similar screw type 'carabiners' at places like Home Depot; look in the aisle that has chain and various sorts of rope. I'll go out on a limb and guess that in Europe and other places, most any general hardware store ('big box' or not...) would also have them. IIRC, none of these is expensive, especially if some sort of SS...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recently, or last winter, got me a "luggage plate" and in the packaging it was a wire that could be unscrewed, like 4 inch long. I opted it to be my keychain with my Leatherman Carabiner and TEC Accessories Raptors, works really well!

13. Joseph08

Joseph08 Loaded Pockets

14. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Loaded Pockets

I do not carry enough keys to need a key organizer. I have a small NiteIze S-biner with 2 house keys on it, and a car key separate. The S-biner could likely hold 3 keys in it, so I have room for one more before I need to get a larger S-biner. The small plastic ones have never come off on me, nor broken yet. I have some small metal ones as well, but once or twice they have worked their way off my keychain.

Moshe ben David and GrimmWolf like this.
  15. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I don't have a car so no oversized keys or fobs to hinder me.
    I made two key organizers with various bits I had in my hardware bins.

I usually carry my vic Fieldmaster or Ranger and they have all the tools such as screw drivers and pry tools and scissors so I can eliminate duplicate tools from my key carry.

the first is a metal ruler with plastic from an old cell phone slip on cover, this was very compact and I still use it for the keys to all my paddle and trigger locks.

the one I'm using for my house keys now is aluminum stock I cut with a hacksaw and trimmed with my dremel. it's a bit larger but still small enough to disappear in my pocket. it is tethered to my victorinox beltclip with a bit of paracord.

the last picture shows a swell idea using a leatherman carabiner that I am planning to try soon, the keys are bolted directly to the body using the 1/4" bit hole and it looks very compact.

I find this method simpler and easier to manage, I do not subscribe to the "1 is none" mindset and I keep the stuff I carry low cost and easy to replace. the way I carry my keys is just for keys, the tools I might need are in the other pocket in one place.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ox71

Nick4305 and jag-engr like this.
  16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I have been using the Keyport Slide 2.0 for about five years now. Since I have managed to eliminate two chipped Toyota keys with this setup, I think the Slide actually reduces volume in addition to reducing weight and making the keys more pocketable. My wife has the metal Slide 3.0, which she prefers because it feels sturdier. I still prefer the lighter weight of the plastic Slide 2.0.

[​IMG]

Main Items (clockwise from 9:00):
    Keybar Ti Hook:
    the best pocket clip hanger I have used so far
    Rofis TC1 Flashlight: touch-switch, 3-mode, rechargeable keychain light
    Keyport Slide 2.0: not the latest version, but lightweight and holding RFID chips for two auto keys
    clip-on USB drive: it says "HP' on it, but it's a cheap one off of Amazon
    RFID entry fob on Keyport ParaPull: an annoying, but necessary, item
    Remote Entry Fob: I need to try par this down like @ThirstyTurtle did with his (pic), but I haven't tried yet

Connecting Hardware:
    Cogent Industries Hook-Up Clips:
    the best QD spring clips I have ever seen, each a work or art
    Split Rings: 14mm titanium split rings from eBay - highly recommended, but not the 14mm wire split rings
    Blue Ring: titanium "circle carabiner" from eBay - not recommended

Nick4305 and ox71 like this.