1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain EDC for girlfriend

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by zuixro, Nov 13, 2009.

1. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

I want to put together a small EDC kit for my girlfriend to carry on her keychain. I want some input on what should go on it. Here is what I am thinking so far:

1. Knife of some kind (either a LM Micra or a small SAK)
    2. Photon
    3. Whistle (I need some help picking one. I've seen good ones that people call "rape whistles" but they were freebies and I don't know where to get them)
    4. Small FAK (band-aids, Neosporin, etc. in a small pouch. If it's too big, she could keep it in her purse)

So that's what I have so far. I think that will cover the majority of what she'll need. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Knife- My daughters like the SwissTech Utili-Key, small SAKs, etc. more than 'knifier' tools.

Light- I think the Photon is a good choice here, especially with a colorful body (easier to find in low light)

Whistle- a simple tube-style bobby whistle would be good. I know I have seen them around, but not where right off-hand.

FAK- in a small pouch or Altoids tin, build a small ;just in case kit'- some bandaids, cleaning wipes, lotion, sun screen, safety pins, etc.

You might also consider a pen, and maybe even a small multi-tool for purse carry (I like my Leatherman Juice, and my kids covet it.)

3. Estrie

Estrie Empty Pockets

For a knife, I would suggest either a Spyderco Ladybug, Cricket or a small Swiss Army Knife. I would get her some pepper spray instead of a whistle, but Tiffany's carries a whistle, lol.

4. gracingthestage

gracingthestage Empty Pockets

A Victorinox Silver Tech Signature Lite would take care of the light and knife requirements, plus she gets a pen, screwdriver, nail file, and scissors. Also, the silver tech isn't likely to clash with anything (purse, other items on keychain) the way a classic red (or pink breast cancer edition) might. It's a good looking little number.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Army-Brands-Silver-Signature/dp/B001NFKNNK

As for a whistle, how about a Falling Whistle? It's for a good cause, and she may dig it as jewelry; if not, it can easily be moved to the keychain.

http://inspiremeplease.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/falling-whistles/

5. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

LM micra is awesome. My wife loves hers, and it is small enough that she won't notice it in her purse.

6. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

Black Cat self defense thingy ;)

7. calooney

calooney Loaded Pockets

I gave my wife a Leatherman Squirt S4 and a photon light for her keychain. She uses them both regularly. She uses the scissors on the squirt more than anything. I also put together a small FAK for her purse. Also, a paracord fob or lanyard would be good. It gives something extra to hold on to and swing incase she needs to use the keys as a weapon.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I think the sound of a woman screaming will convey the necessary message better than a whistle would, unless I'm missing something. It also wouldn't require fishing her keys out of her pocket while being assaulted.

9. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Read this http://www.aware.org/toolsntechnqs.shtml before spending money on defensive stuff for a girl. It's written by women and has some sound advice in it.
    In fact the page is worth reading by everyone, there is good info here.

10. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

People are able to scream whilst reaching in their pocket.

Having one loses nothing, though fwiw i think one of those powerful rape alarm things is a better idea. The Fox 40 whistles are generally considered the best and come in a whole bunch of colours.

Also for defensive stuff, thats something id discuss with her about, whats the point in buying a cat shaped knuckle duster if she has no intention of carrying or using it for example.

I also agree with the Silver Tech Signature, its a lot safer a bet over the Sypderco Ladybug or Cricket since, at the risk of stereotyping, a lot of women wouldnt carry something so aggro looking and it also doesnt have the other tool advantages of the SAKs.

11. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

I'm going to be setting up a little EDC for my wife for Christmas. So far I've ordered a small but bright AA light, and am going to pick up a Micra to de-knife (as her workplace doesn't allow knife blades.) I've considered sticking it on a mechanic's-type wire keychain, but am considering packing it in some small zipper pouch instead, preferably one with a cord and snap hook. I look inside my wife's purse, and the last thing I think about is something else to get tangled up in there! Would also be an easy way to stick some band-aids and alcohol wipes in without adding something extra, and the snap hook could be used to fasten it to her purse's keyring loop.

If nothing else, I can get a change purse around the right size and punch an eyelet through it. Nothing says love like a paracord tether on her Christmas present :)

12. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Disaster-Systems-Inc-Waterproof/dp/B001CSAH0C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1258658036&sr=8-3
    That is the style whistle I was thinking about. It's small, metal, discrete. Looks very solid. Has great reviews. Has anybody here used it? I think I might get one for myself too.

She's not a "girly girl." She actually already has a multitool and a flashlight that she carries with you when we're working (we work in a theatre). The multitool is a cheap "Ozark Trail" from Walmart. The flaslight is pretty nice though, a $35 "Coleman" brand flashlight from Lowes. Has a 3watt white LED, blue LED, and red. Runs on 3aaa's. I want something for her to carry all the time though (not in her purse, she doesn't always carry her purse). I'm also thinking about getting her a LM Wave for Christmas, The Ozark Trail multitool is pretty trashy...

13. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

Sabre makes some great keychain pepper spray units. I got a pink one for my mom, my sister, and my girlfriend. A whistle is good, but it won't protect her if she is in harm's way. I also gave a Maratac AAA to all three girls and they love them. Its so much better than the little photon style mini lights.

14. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

Great info. One of the cool things about the pink sabre pepper spray is that it comes with an inert spray for practice so she can actually try it out and get comfortable with it in a safe environment.

15. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

As for self defense, I took Nihon Goshin Aikido for 7 or 8 years, sparring for 4 years, and several classes about Kubaton self defense. I'm going to get one for her, and teach her how to use it (something like this: :lolhammer: (sans "lol")).

16. TabascoJoe

TabascoJoe Loaded Pockets

Does your girlfrind actually want all that stuff on her keychain? Would she ever use any of them? Every girl ive ever dated wouldnt bother with it. They would probably smile and say "thanks" and try and find a way or reason not to carry all that extra bulk that they would never uses. Just a thought is all.

17. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

She would carry the multi tool and the flashlight. Maybe not the whistle though... That's why I wanted to keep it small.

18. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Its cool your girlfriend is into EDC preparedness, mine isn't. That being said I HAVE gotten her to use a Vic Classic and she loves it. For a keychain tool, the Victorinox signature lite would kill two birds with one stone, while not taking up a lot of space on her keychain. I recomend going that route. If she normally carries a multi at work, a good sturdy leatherman for Christmas should be apreciated, although I would go for a Victorinox Swisstool, or a Spirit if you/she would like something a little lighter. They are my favorites, and its a personal prefrence. For the record I don't have anything bad to say about leatherman, and almost any major brand name player will probably work just fine.
    Good luck and treat her well, she seems to be a keeper ;D