1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Duct Tape

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by bryan123, Aug 17, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

One of my patients no-showed today so I decided to make a keychain duct tape roll. I had a 2 inch wide roll of duct tape and I wrapped a couple of feet of it around a 2 inch length of tonuge depressor (Say, Aaah!) and a paper clip sticking out to provide a loop for the keyring.

So now that I have this really cool (and free) roll of duct tape on my keychain, what are some possible uses besides fixing my glasses if they break?

Thanks

Ulgrod likes this.
  2. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

Interesting idea -- would you prefer something round though?

3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Good question. We split the throat stick in half so the finished product isn't as oval as you'd think. We made a couple of other prototypes using a straw and a cut down Bic pen barrel. They all seem to work equally well but the Bic barrel was easier to load up.

I gave them out to co-workers to try out and report back.

Ethos and pks like this.
  4. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Don't taje this the wrong way but it's kinda funny thinking about a doctor doing som Macgyvering in a doctors office. Lol I guess in reality we are all professionals of some type, but if you knew my doctors abd you pictured this it might make you smile as well.

Anyway, recently I saw where a guy got an eyebolt and cut the shaft a little longer than the tape, next he got a steel cap bolt with nylon threads (so it wouldn't back off) and put it on the end, then wrapped the duct tape around that and put it on his keyring. If you did the same thing but used your Bic pen barrel with the bolt going through it it would free spin as you unrolled the tape, that would be perfect. You could even use a couple of washers to protect the ends of the role.

As far as uses for duct tape? They are endless. Car repairs, emergency splint, emergency cordageimprovised emergency shelter making, handcuffs, an strap for your bag, shoe repair, duct tape drinking cup (look it up), and a million more uses.

My problem just like my knife that I don't want to dull is I can find ways around using it then I will. I cary my cool gear but if I don't want to mess it up then I won't unless I have too or incase I need it worse later. Duct tape however I wouldn't feel so sentimental about. I think I may make one like I mentioned above, I hadn't thought of using a pen.

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

See heres one that accomplishes the same thing but he wants $20. No way, I would make my own first.

bryan123 likes this.
  6. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I improved the design. This time I got a wooden dowel at the craft store and cut it to the appropriate length. Easy to wrap the tape around this. I used a screw eye for keychain attachment.

Ulgrod, Ethos and pks like this.
  7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Nice! Picture please...

bryan123 likes this.
  8. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Regrettably I'm not set up for that. I'm one of those middle aged fossils who isn't tech savvy

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Lol. Well I'll take your word, you've been descriptive enough that I can imagine it anyway.

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

You only have a few feet. Not much. I use gorilla tape on glasses.

11. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

There is now a picture of the keychain duct tape roll on the thread entitled " My improved EDC keychain"

12. Particleman

Particleman Loaded Pockets

A large cotter pin works well

hotworms likes this.