1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keybar vs Keygrip vs keysmart 2.0

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Couloirman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

For anybody on the fence, the Keybar is far more robust and sturdy than the Keysmart. I put my truck keys on the Keysmart and it felt like it would fly apart everytime I turned the ignition. I had to tighten it at least once a week, etc. While the Keybar is a bit bulkier in the pocket, the trade off is something that feels indestructible and has yet to loosen up. The built in pocket clip certainly sweetens the deal.

Radley and Renton like this.
  2. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Love the little keygrip link, though the Prometheus Lights kappa keychain is a handy solution. Here are my keys and not keys done that way:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Similar to another post I made, not sure where to take my key set up, made my own mod to suit me but it's time to change, I designed mine for one handed opening. Must have a look at a keyn as well the key-bar
    [​IMG]
    As it fairly open I installed a thumb stud to the key, I'm aware the key-bar won't allow this although they do a extra that helps. How would the keyn fit in with this?

Unagi42 and Doraemon like this.
  4. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

You can cut notches in the keys so you can open them one handed from the Key-Bar.

[​IMG]

Radley, LRex and Doraemon like this.
  5. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I'm quite interested in one of these methods to carry my keys. Unfortunately I carry around quite a few.

Two front door keys
    Garage key
    Garage / Hall key
    Gun case key
    Side gate key
    Back door key
    Safe key
    Mothers house key

Most a flat but three are like this one, what's the best solution for fitting these in. Because of the shape they aren't going to lie flat.

[​IMG]

Unagi42 likes this.
  6. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I have used a bladekey (similar to a keygrip), keysmart 1.0, and keybar. here's my thoughts on each

Bladekey pros: small, lightweight. EDIT: customizable via 3D printing to accomodate your particular key setup
    bladekey cons: longer keys stick out too much, limited capacity. requires 3d printing equipment.

Keysmart pros: two pivots, expandable capacity, variety of colors/materials, comes in two different lengths
    keysmart cons: keys still poke out because of positioning of pivots in relation to handle, newer keysmart accessories/expanders not compatible with older keysmarts

keybar pros: two pivots, expandable via longer screws, widest variety of colors/materials (aluminum, brass, copper, titanium, and carbon fiber), pivots are offset a bit so the keys don't stick out so much when closed. 3rd party accessories/mods are available (I have the Chaves American Made Knives edition keybar, and they have a blade coming out that fits in there as a little friction folder).
    keybar cons: only one size, most expensive, thicker handle scales make it heavier.

Last edited by JustinJ, Oct 25, 2015
  7. ScarabDrowner

ScarabDrowner Loaded Pockets

I use a 3D-printed BladeKey. I can adjust it on my computer to fit whatever number of keys I have, and make it long enough for the longest keys I have. Completely customizable. Eliminates JustinJ's cons, I think.

It's lighter than the metal version, and though it may not be as durable, I can make a replacement in an hour.[​IMG]

Last edited by ScarabDrowner, Oct 25, 2015
    Radley, Unagi42, Doraemon and 2 others like this.
  8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

fixed it!

9. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Can anyone tell me if the KeySmart Extended will take these types of keys:
    [​IMG]
    It would need to be able to take three "regular" keys and one of these crosskeys per side, for a total of 8 keys. Can they handle that?

Thanks!

10. BenjaminDuncan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

BenjaminDuncan Loaded Pockets

Have all three and the Ti KeyGrip is the one I actually use daily. I used the extended Ti KeySmart for a while. The weight is perfect, but I found that things kind of flopped out of it while in my pocket. I could never find a sweet spot where the tension would allow me to get keys out for use without needing to pry them out and also keep everything from fanning out while bouncing around in my pocket. I didn't have any of those issues with the Key-Bar. It's a great product, but I found the KeyGrip to be a bit of more of a simple aesthetic and it fits me better. The Key-Bar may be a better fit for others and, in my experience, worked just as well.

All of them are better than loose keys on a keychain, IMO.

Regards,
    -Ben

Radley, Unagi42 and Bowman1911 like this.
  11. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Original KS Keysmart 1.0. Love it and as others have said all of them are better than a keychain.
    I have the extended versions and as Doraemon says the keys can accidentally come out the wrong side but this is a minor con. I've found it to be sturdy and reliable and will only occasionally need a tighten so it doesn't become too loose.
    I can easily manipulate the keys into the lock with one hand whilst holding a cycle and kid on the back with the other.

12. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

My day to day locks were just too much a pia for the keysmart, and I gave the keygrip a full year before I went back to a plain old rattling Key ring. Boring, I know.

Have gun, Will travel.

Unagi42 likes this.
  13. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I'm sure you've said before, but what is the black thing?

Bowman1911 and Unagi42 like this.
  14. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cheeser, it's a Lamy Pico telescopic pen and it came out of the Aus Passaround Box Part 2.;)
    Lovely to write with and very compact.
    [​IMG]
    Stock image.

Guarddog, Doraemon and Bowman1911 like this.
  15. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Cool :) I like that

Bowman1911 likes this.
  16. cruzmiguel

cruzmiguel Empty Pockets

i like these both for different purposes.

[​IMG]

Doraemon and Bowman1911 like this.
  17. Devon Scout

I decided to try a KeySmart, so I went for the extended version with an expansion pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not really the best of fits for the big dead lock keys. It's taken many attempts to get this far, and I've no doubt I will be tweaking it still at Christmas.

18. Devon Scout

Another tweak and that's better.
    [​IMG]

Ben Rubinstein and Bowman1911 like this.
  19. Devon Scout

Couple of extra washers from the washer drawer.

[​IMG]

Much better.

20. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I bought the original extended version of the KeySmart when they first became available. I had to modify most of my keys to fit the overly-wide posts, but after that it worked perfectly. I have since replaced that one with the second version so that I don't have to modify new keys.

A KeySmart has been in my pocket every day for well over a year. It took me a little tweaking to get the tension right, but I have never had to adjust it since. It holds seven keys (using one extension) and keeps them in the most compact arrangement possible while providing easy and organized access to them. It is a great minimal solution.

They KeyBar seems to offer similar advantages, but I haven't seen any reason to experiment since the KeySmart has been working for me so well.

Devon Scout and Ben Rubinstein like this.