1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

key chain issue

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by xkalifornian, Apr 28, 2010.

1. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

While attempting to start my car recently I found the key wouldn't turn the ignition. Had to have the ignition replaced. Turns out my keys, gizmos and ring apparently caused wear due to the weight and constant sway on the ignition. I don't carry lots of stuff. I'm somewhere in the middle as far as amount of items on the key ring. I had to break up the ring into two rings, one with car key and SAK, the other with assorted keys and pen light. Has anyone else run into this problem? I sure hate to have two sets of keys, does anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate this issue?

Thanks

2. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

I have had to replace dozens of ignitions while working as a mechanic. A light as posible key ring is the only thing I can think of. I have two rings, 1 with car key, fob house key and a Swiss tech. The other has assorted goodies and not as used keys.

3. swampinboy

swampinboy Loaded Pockets

Got to have 2 rings, one for vehicles and the other with additional keys and goodies. I prefer to keep the house and shop keys separate from vehicle. At least I wont lose keys to everything. A good friend swears by his stainless lobster clasp and hooks his 2 rings together and then un-clasp the vehicle keys for driving.

4. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Use some method of attaching the key to your keychain when not in use. A quick release couple or McGizmo clip for example.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i like having two key rings best. not only for the wear and tear to locks and ignitions. but two rings one for keys and on for your other goodies make carrying much easier. also when you have to give another your keys or keyring tools your not giving everything to someone just what you have too give.

to this reason i also use a two piece pull apart key ring with car keys on one side and house keys on the other ...

6. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to figure out a system using a main chain with removable rings. I don't like the common plastic ones as the removable metal link rings eventually wear out.

7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I was in high school my dad got on me about having to much weight pulling on the ignition, he is a locksmith. He recommended that I use a key chain that has some kind of quick connect and two split rings. One ring was for the ignition key and my house key, and the other was for everything else. When I wanted to start the car I would split it in two and put the other ring in my cup holder.

8. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I use the EDCF keychain that you can buy at the EDCF store and it works well. It's very easy to detach before putting your keys in the ignition and perfect if you have other tools on your keychain that you need to detach before using.