1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kevlar

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Evilbunny, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

So I have some kevlar fabric its a bit stained though what can I make with it? I have a small sewing machine. Any ideas? I would say its maybe 2-3 yards

2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Mail it to Metro. Have some Bulletproof Skinths made up.

3. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

I made a wallet and a little FAK holder with some Cordura I had.

4. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

He’s asking about Kevlar, not Cordura. Cordura is not Kevlar.

Unless you have some pressing need for something made out of Kevlar, I wouldn’t bother. First off, are you even sure your sewing machine can even handle it? You need Kevlar thread to sew Kevlar - Kevlar is so abrasive it will destroy nylon thread. It’s not so easy to cut.

I have some Kevlar too. It has sat in my box of materials for years. It has specific uses. Trying to shoe horn it into a use it’s not designed for just seems counterproductive.

If you need Cordura, get some Cordura.

5. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

Indestructible dog toy!

echo63 likes this.
  6. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Here's a thread discussing use of Kevlar for a small project (LINK). Among the issues mentioned: requires special (expensive) scissors or tool to cut to size; unless coated, susceptible to UV/sunlight degradation; doesn't like water.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Its also doesn't like being repeatedly flexed

r-ice likes this.
  8. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

You could make the blade for a canoe paddle. Laminate it to a wooden shaft using a West System Epoxy.

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Actually, is this Kevlar fabric, designed for clothing, or Kevlar weave mat, designed for using with resin/carbon/fibreglass

If its Kevlar fabric you could use it to reinforce a pair of pants - motorbike riders run pants with kevlar panels to protect them if they fall off.

10. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Not true, it won't tear and shred nylon thread if it's stabilized. I have a friend in aerospace engineering (yes, his title is Rocket Scientist) and he gave me a flexible, stabilized kevlar/carbon weave that they won't use anymore because kevlar is hydrophilic and any kind of moisture in between the layups is a grave no-no.

I found that if you have a rotary cutter, it's worth using it and cutting it straight with that and having a sacrificial blade ready to be thrown out. The Tini Coated (gold) have the easiest time slicing through out.

It LIKES water, but the result is undesirable :)

Kevlar's real strength comes the confluence of materials, so on it's own it's alright, but you really need to sandwich it into a core of some kind (like two nylon backings) so you are able to sew it.

Nick4305 likes this.
  11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Point taken. Subtle, but distinct, difference. :)

12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Werd, what Metro said. I read that if Kevlar is wet, it dulls the cutting equipment exponentially faster.

13. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

When I cut kevlar and carbon fiber cloth i tape both sides of the line that I am cutting and it cut WAY easier because the fibers aren't jumping out of the scissor blades. Just food for thought.

metropolicity likes this.
  14. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I would make some snake proof leggings with some straps to secure it , and be able to remove them by using some type interlocking clips .

15. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

And what does the OP have? Some 25 year old Kevlar 29 from a decommisioned bullet proof vest, some Kevlar 49 for making boat hulls that was tossed out because it was damaged somehow, or some Kevlar for reinforcing tires? Is it this stabilized kevlar/carbon weave? He doesn't really know what he has, but what he does have is some specialized fabric that really isn't much good for an amateur sewer to tinker with. I tend to trust the people I know in the body armour industry. If they tell me you need Kevlar thread to sew Kevlar, I’m not about to argue with their knowledge. A good rule of thumb is to sew cotton material with cotton thread, nylon with nylon thread, etc.