1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kershaw Knockout vs ZT?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Moshe ben David, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at the Kershaw Knockout as a possible new member of the herd. In part because of claims that this model is like a ZT 'budget'. Given my budget is a bit constrained at the moment this caught my attention.

So of course I looked at reviews on line, on YouTube...

I've seen more than once a reviewer state their opinion that this Kershaw knife is like a ZT but at a lower budget. The budget part is obvious of course. But I have no way of knowing if the performance aspect is really that good or are some of the reviewers repeating ZT PR hype. Given that ZT and Kershaw are members of the same corporate family I'm not totally skeptical.

Do any of y'all have hands on experience on this?

Thanks in advance!

Moshe ben David

2. Gadgetman7

Gadgetman7 Loaded Pockets

I love the Knockout and I can see the comparison. The Knockout has a stout heavy duty blade and feels like it was designed for hard use. The standard blade steel is 14C28N which is a good budget steel but it has been available in M390for a little more. Aluminum replaces titanium for the handle but that won’t be a practical difference - just aesthetics.

I think it’s a great alternative if you have budget constraints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Had the Knockout and more than one ZT. The Knockout is a good, actually very good, budget knife. The steel would not be my first choice, but well, maybe supersteels are more a “want” than a “need”. Depends what you use it for.
    The assisted opening works fine, but it’s something you have to want. You can deassist it I’ve heard (see YouTube).
    My ZTs have all been perfectly executed. So no complaints from this side either. The materials and craftsmanship was beyond doubt.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

4. Moshe ben David

@Gadgetman7 and @TheMac: thanks for the feedback. Matches what I've been reading and seeing on YouTube. Hadn't realized that a M390 steel variant was available. I'll keep my eyes open, although I've a few knives with the Sandvik steel and for what I do - pretty light duty actually - the Sandvik generally suits me fine.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

So Kershaw’s answer to Spyderco’s Byrd line then?

6. FilthyJ24

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

I love my knockout. I've had several ZTs including a 350, 566, 562 and my current favorite knife, the 804. With the exception of the 804 I've flipped them all for some reason or another, yet the knockout has remained. Currently only gets carried while I'm at work as its my "beater knife." As I've stated in previous post's I've thumped on the knockout way harder than any of my ZTs... mainly because I can buy for knockouts for the price of an 804.

I recently swapped out the stonewashed blade for a black one and gave the spare to a friend. While most ZTs will feel more premium and more substantial (as they should) the knockout feels great in hand and is an excellent slicer. I would consider a ZT lite. If there's anything I wouldn't use my 804 for, I go for the knockout. If there's anything too tough for the knockout, I grab the Adams. Basically, for around $50 it's hard to beat if framelock flippers are your thing. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David, Lateck and twin63 like this.
  7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

If you want it in M390, that's a great choice.

The Knockout reminds me of the 0350 in terms of size. The best ZT comparison in a Kershaw is still the Specbump in my opinion. It just feels like a smaller 0200.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That sounds like a unicorn.

9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Well whadaya know?! ;)[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

US Made Blade Exclusive. For Europeans still a But, yes, that’s an interesting one.
    But then, I would not buy it anyway. IF I ever buy another knife I’d be a Microtech or an SnG DGG or something like that.

11. Moshe ben David

Sorry. I'm not following your thought here. Can you elaborate?

Moshe ben David

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Sitting here at my Caribbean beach house and cringing at the near 50% extra that the government here charges for imported knives, I can say that there must be skybox companies that ship out of NYC to pretty much anywhere in the Eurozone. I have seen some forum members do that.

I spend about half my time in the US but some things can't wait so we just bite down hard and have it shipped in.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

13. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The Kershaw Knockout is a price-point Kershaw product as the Byrd line is Spyderco’s value line of knives?

14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

IF any comparison WOULD fly, then MAYBE that Kershaw is to ZT what Byrd is to Spiderco. But Kershaw is way better developed as a business and a brand, and they have a way bigger diversity than Byrd.

15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Kershaw created ZT about 20 years ago, I believe. Byrd was the Spyderco line for imports from China

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

16. Moshe ben David

I don't think the comparison holds. Kershaw line is a main product line at least IMHO whereas Byrd is intended as a discount line.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

adnj likes this.