1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kenyan mall shooting and one Good Man with a handgun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by hawkeye180, Oct 18, 2013.

1. LSJones

LSJones Empty Pockets

Look for cover, shoot the last bad guy in the line in the back, take his AK, repeat until you have a nice collection of AK's and be sure to drop them when help arrives.

Cobra 6 Actual and RoadWizard like this.
  2. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Rule 1 is getting family to safety, leave the area if possible. Simple enough.
    If their safety is in immediate danger then I will engage. I don't carry a weapon to make my wife a widow.

343KD, Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  3. K.Hurrle

K.Hurrle Loaded Pockets

I've thought about scenarios like this before and if it were a situation where we were cornered and my family were in immediate danger I would do everything I could. However if there was a safe escape option that would be the first priority.

My goal is to avoid situations like that unless there is no other choice.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

I would hope, in the US anyway, that there would be more than one of us with our concealed weapon. We may not all suddenly mind-meld and know what each other is doing and thinking, but if a majority, or even a large number, of the bad guys were taken out in the first few minutes it would have a strategically disturbing effect on the mindset of the rest.

I'm being very optimistic here. I'm talking about maybe half of the people in the mall carrying and doing what needs to be done. The founding fathers didn't have shopping malls, but being able to defend one, by ordinary citizens, from such an attack is part of "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Sent from my Motorola Droid Ultra using Tapatalk 4.

ta2edff and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. Renegador

Renegador Loaded Pockets

In this situation, it definitely appears as though the man carrying a weapon and well-trained did a far better job in getting people out than in starting a firefight in which he would have been most likely killed... As someone already stated, a handgun will never hold up to an automatic firearm. One or two attackers keep suppressing fire while the rest circle and kill the one guy trained enough to funnel people to safety.
    Personally, I think he made the right choice. I only hope that if I was in this situation, I would remain level-headed enough to find an exit and assist people in getting out.

343KD, Cobra 6 Actual and BklynBoy like this.
  6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

You should all be aware that most malls have a service corridor that runs along the back of the stores. There are always doors leading from the stores to the service corridors and there are always doors and loading docks leading from the service corridor to the outside. If you are ever faced with an active shooter (or a fire or earthquake) and need to quickly get out of the mall, this would be your best option.

As to the Kenya situation, I would get myself and my loved ones out of there as quickly as possible and leave the teams of police shooters with long guns to deal with the bad guys. Remember that in Kenya as well as Mumbai, the squad sized group of BGs were armed with full auto weapons, lots of reloads and had comms to coordinate. They were also trained by Al Quada vets (with lots of Jihad experience) to move and shoot as a team. A 'pickup' team of defenders armed with handguns would not have had a chance against them. This type of terrorist operation is different than something like the Clackamass mall shooting where a lone nut job had his AR jam, saw a CCW holder with a handgun and decided to commit suicide. Even in the lone shooter situation, I am not going to go up against a long gun with my handgun, except to cover my retreat.

groovster and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

That would depend on what state it would happen in. You would think in NYC, more people would be prepared but most don't even carry a knife.

8. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Loaded Pockets

"WHO DARES WINS"

9. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

In NYC, being prepared is considered a crime. For some reason, the government doesn't want you taking care of yourself.

Redneck Bear and snaplok like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

The malls in Louisville are all different. The main pedestrian walkway is in the canter and the back of the stores all have exits/loading areas in the back, all having their backs to the parking lot. So in our malls all the shops have back doors that lead out but are locked and the store manager has the keys. A few have fire exits, but in working for several that are just locked, while some are only locked form the outside and set the fire alarm off if you exit through them without the key.

11. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I didn't want to say the same thing, but it's completely true. With random bag searches to enter the transit and the possibility of random bag searches while onboard( I've never heard of it, but bypasses a the need of a warrant to check), Stop and Frisk, and public opinion, it's a crime to carry any kind of protection. The laws make it so that anything that can be classified as a "dangerous weapon" (which covers just about everything and the kitchen sink) is carried with intent to use in a crime or while committing a crime against persons or property. Never for personal protection. But that's what the NYPD is for, thought they have no constitutional right to protect you. They can though stop you from protection yourself and your love ones.

12. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

About all you can do is go grey and not give them a reason to notice you. Bag searches and metal detectors, I'm not sure what you can do.

13. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Provided im not with family: I can only hope to have the balls to stand up. Would it end well for me? Probably not, but if it buys time for others to gtfo, wouldnt it not be worth it?

What if it was your family in there? Would you not want someone to stand up and do something?

Id rather be 6 feet down, having died doing something worthwhile, than I would live thinking "what if"

Roger likes this.
  14. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

I'd was saying about going grey pre attack, to avoid getting noticed by authorities. It would also help in pre-attack so you don't get shot first.

During the attack, counter attack might be your best option.

15. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I think most of us carry to get ourselves and family home safe. If we're all there, escape and evade, if you get barricaded or trapped you set up and aim at a choke point. If not, I'm bugging out. It's ultimately not my responsibility to keep everyone safe all the time. It's my job to get my family home safe. And if I can help yours in the process, great, but I'm not running towards gunfire. there are trained teams with long guns and bullet proof gear for that. My :censored: is going home.

sorry, but I don't carry to be a commando or super hero. I carry so I can hug my wife and baby at the end of the day. Do I wish more people were armed and trained? Sure. safety in numbers. But if stuff gets real, my goal is GTFO, not try and pull off some head shots with a small 9mm on armored trained, machine gun toting crazy person.