1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kentucky area Meet & Greet...it could happen.

Discussion in 'Trade Shows & EDCF Gatherings' started by SAKplumber, Sep 18, 2012.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Haven't set one up yet. Anytime yo plan to come down, or if we're coming up, give a hooler;) shout and we'll make it happen.
    Threewulfmoon comes to my town annually, Kabar is local access only, SMAJ is at Fort Knox and can come down here fairly easily in most cases, Ted Ankilde is in Canada but goes through here 2 or three times a year, and I hold down the fort. Astrocreep works a different shift.

:)

Idox likes this.
  2. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Anybody have fun in the snow? I drove to work at 5:30 am and there was already a semi over-turned on 71. Everything but elective cases were cancelled at University. Came home and shoveled for an hour and a half.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Had one job today. Had to drive across town to it, back across for some materials, back there to work, almost all the way home before getting the call that there was a leak that I missed, back to the job to adjust a slip-nut on a kitchen waste pipe, and back home.
    Almost 6 hours. :nah_disagree:
    Spun around on the Watterson but kept it upright:eek:
    Got cussed out by the guy who was pinning me in traffic and laughing about it when I changed lanes behind him and passed him on the right. Told me he was taking my pic and wanted me to turn around because he wanted to send it to my boss.
    He never called. Plus, he was the one with kids in the back playing games on Hurstbourne.:nah_disagree:
    Its amazing how pissed people get when you outsmart them:uhhuh:Suddenly he could drive too.
    Took my son to work because I like my 4runner:blink: Partially shoveled the drive when my neighb saved the day for all of us with his snowchain wearin' lawnmower and ploy attachment. He lives behind us on a side street but can see all of us out the back of his house and always plows everyone's for us :)

Idox and SMAJ like this.
  4. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

KentuckyRock17 Uber Prepared

Just finished shovelling my sis put of the drive. Then shovelled a small path for my EMT friend for when he gets home, assuming he comes home tonight. They apparently told them to pack a bag for the night.

All I know is that I'm drenched in sweat. And I hate winter.

thePlumbah likes this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Don't get sick, dude!

Idox likes this.
  6. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

I think I'll be fine. I was pretty covered up. In fact, I might post a pic of my snow gear.

Unfortunately, most of it was cotton. I want some synthetic clothes since they retain their insulation when they get wet. I might have to get some next year.

Because, to be honest, cotton's kind of inferior in every way.

7. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Sounds like a pain, sorry to hear it. I don't mind driving in the snow but the other drivers ruin it. It's actually a lot of fun in my Subaru.

thePlumbah likes this.
  8. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

I love winter when there is snow. The boring cold without sow was getting old.

thePlumbah likes this.
  9. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

Does this count for this thread. A Kentuckian's Cold Weather EDC?
    [​IMG]

thePlumbah likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Word. :)

Idox and SMAJ like this.
  11. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

I don't have the full setup, but here's my winter EDC for days like today...

[​IMG]

And for throw-back's sake, picture from when I lived in Utah...

My cabin, 9,300 feet in mid-winter...

[​IMG]

My uncle's' snowmobile on the top of a steep slope at about 11,500 feet...

[​IMG]

Idox and thePlumbah like this.
  12. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

Is your clothing synthetic or cotton? Probably synthetic. Is there a cold weather gear in the "EDC Clothes" sub forum?

13. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

The blue one is a fleece monkey man jacket from Mountain hardware, the green is a Subzero Down jacket from Mountain Hardware, and the hat is a wind-booking fleece from Mountain Hardware. If its wet, I add a Theta AR from Arc'Teryx made of Gore-Tex Pro, and if it is really cold, I have fleece stretch pants and Outdoor Reasearch Down expedition mittens, as well as a fleece balaclava.

I guess a lot of it is synthetic by virtue of growing up in Utah and backpacking and needing light stuff, but wool is also excellent and ultimately nothing beats down. Primaloft is about as close as you can get to synthetic down but it's not quite there.

Edit - minimal cotton garments. It doesn't insulate well and it's worthless and slow to dry if it gets wet. I have cotton cargo pants and that's about it. Socks are wool.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Not that I recall. Start one and link it here so y'all can kick it off:) I really don't spend anough time out in the cold to warrant special gear for it, but I layer. In my "Show Yourself "thread post today I have a Tad shemagh, a T-3 Endurable TillyHat, and a Condor Soft Shell under a Columbia rain jacket :) And I was wearing wool socks at the time :) I wear them almost all the time. In fact, I think I only wear other sockks when its warmer :) I invested in a bunch of Peoples brand at Costco recently:D

Idox likes this.
  15. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

16. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

What? No long johns?!

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Small world! LOL! I just ran into KaBar41 at McDonald's.

Millertime1974 likes this.
  18. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

What's weirder is that I just got done sending a piece of mail to another EDCer for a trade. :)

thePlumbah and Millertime1974 like this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

KY Meet & Greets happen more randomly than I thought. In fact, random is how I met Bobbradley :D

Weird. Now that your username is spellled correctly, I have a hard time spelling it.

I'm still wanna type @ Bob Radley :D IDK why I never thought it was Bo Bradley :rolleyes:

20. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

Any of you Louisvillians ever go to One Stop Knife Shop? I'm thinking about getting a Chris Reeve, but I really want to check them out in person and they seem to be the only dealer around. I live in Frankfort.