1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ken Onion Workshop Tips? ReEDIT: I see thread below tho it’s OLD.

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by Danny Baker, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Danny Baker

Danny Baker Loaded Pockets

Purchased the machine, so I might as well shy from my norm & ask before I screw things up.

What should I know that’s not in the rulebook? Will practice on a cheap AR bayonet prepare me for something more refined like a Sebenza?

What belt does one use to simply sharpen & maintain a toothy edge? How does one go about getting towards the tip of a nice blade w/out destroying same? (I hear that’s the roughest part of the whole equation).

Does simply asking these questions automatically indicate that I’m out of my league?

Thanks all in advance.

D

#1 Danny Baker, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

you are not out of your league. The trick to not messing up the tip is to not let the tip come off the belt, stop when the tip is 1/2 way across the belt.

Danny Baker likes this.
  3. Danny Baker

Thank you. So just pull off 1/2 way thru...Which belt would you suggest for just upkeep sharpening?

4. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

That depends on how bad you let it get before "upkeep" Use the least aggressive belt that will get your edge back. Unless the blade is extremely dull or needs a chip removed, etc. I would likely start with the medium grit and work up from there. You can actually skip the fine and extra fine belts to keep a toothier edge.

5. Danny Baker

Exactly the edge I want. Thank you much, Hangman.

6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

As you're pulling the blade towards you, just before the tip of the blade is half way across the belt, release the trigger to stop the belt, then pull the blade away. If you do anything different, you'll round off your tip.

Coat the entire edge of the blade in black Sharpie, then you'll be able to see which part of the blade you're hitting with the belt. Then you will be able to adjust the angle accordingly.

Practice a lot on a lot of cheap knives before trying anything expensive or important. Even if you have to buy a handful of $1 kitchen knives at goodwill, it's worth it not to damage a good blade.

RTFM.

You can find aftermarket belts on ebay much cheaper than OEM. There is also a leather belt you can use as a power strop (don't let the blade cut into it, only go one direction with that one.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=onion+worksharp

You won't find a faster way to sharpen, or destroy a knife.

Danny Baker likes this.
  7. Danny Baker

Excellent. Thank you much.

8. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these! I'd definitely be interested in more thoughts from forum members! How long do the belts last?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

The belts last well enough for several knives, one tip, get a belt cleaning block (basically a rubber block that cleans the metal/debris from the belt) It makes the belts last much longer.

10. MAGA

MAGA Loaded Pockets

I have one but I've been using diamond stones, more fun and relaxing.