1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kelty Redwing 50 Tactical or Rush 72?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by KDOG08, Apr 30, 2018.

1. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Trying to decide between them. Similar price on Amazon. The Kelty had the nice padded waistbelt for hiking etc. It's made from their 500D Kodra while the Rush 72 is made from the 1050D. Hmmmm
    .decisions decisions

2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Well, I have used a RUSH 72 and a regular (non- tactical) Redwing 44 as a daily field bag at work. They were purchased for me at different times and I have been able to try them out in identical roles. The obvious differences would be a much lighter bag for the Kelty, but also less organization. The Rush 72 probably has enough pockets and zippered pouches that you will never, ever fill them all, not so much for the Kelty. Also the 72 has acres of pals, which I have not felt the need to use, with so much storage inside. I use the side pockets on the 72 for water and coffee, but the Kelty side pockets are set higher up and if you use them (pretty sure they can fit a 32 nalgene), it may limit access to the elastic bottle pockets below them. I fully expected to wear out the bottle pockets on the Kelty as I use them as a "bottom stop" to hold longer objects behind the pass-through area, but they have held up well. The overall fabric of the Kelty has held up better than I expected too. I have dragged both through brush and mud with no ill effects.

The two packs you are asking about are very different animals, though similar in size. I guess I would sum up my experiences by saying if you are walking very far, the Kelty will likely be the more comfortable under load as it has a better belt and more of a real suspension. The Kelty is very adjustable to the user, the RUSH series either fits or it doesn't. If you want the pals or the more tactical look + organization, the 72 is better.

3. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm...and the Keltys waistbelt is removable, at least on the tactical version. I definitely need a large back that I can take hiking/backpacking so that's probably what I should get. The regular version looks pretty sweet too even though it's 420D. I like it in blue. Hmmmmm

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

The belt is "tuckable" on both as well and the 420D is what mine is and it is pretty tough stuff.

5. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Excellent, thank you.

6. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

Agreed. These two bags shouldn't be compared because they have almost no crossover in terms of application. The Kelty is made for day hikes or light overnight trips, the other is a tactical pack that IMO has few practical application outside a military context (and even then there are better options if you have the money).

The Rush 72 is too large to be missing a real waist belt and sturdy frame - plus it's made from 1000D material making it a poor choice for backpacking and hiking. All that organization, heavy material and webbing comes at the expense of weight. So again, maybe a decent choice for someone in the military who can't wear a waist belt and needs super heavy material and tons of organization, but as I said I'd be looking at something like Mystery Ranch for that application.

7. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

I have a RUSH 72 for my work/swim bag (I’m a Lifeguard and water aerobics instructor). It’s big and heavy but it has a place for all my gear including my swim parka so for me it works great. But I don’t have to carry it very far. Just from the parking lot to the YMCA or from my car to the beach area. If you’re going to carry it loaded for any real distance, GO KELTY!

8. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I am sure someone thinks they have a use case for a Rush, but my Kelty experience is dramatically better than 5.11. My two Kelty bags, after almost 15 and 9 years respectively, continue to impress me.

I no longer have any 5.11 bags - they are the camel of bags, designed by a committee.

9. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I got the Kelty in Twilight blue. Took it for a hike today to try it out. Outstanding! Great size for me, excellent construction. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]