1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

KelTec Sub2000

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mrtwohands, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mrtwohands

mrtwohands Loaded Pockets

That is what I am worried about. Unfortunately, there are none around me for to handle one.

2. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Do not buy a Sub 2K. It is underwhelming in nearly every performance metric, coupled with a mix of brilliant and disappointing design.

- horrible trigger. Really.
    - Screwed together plastic halves... My red dot sight is never going to be repeatable on the Gen2 top rail.
    - the MLOK slots are not strong enough plastic... The MI folding red dot simply cannot hold zero. I will not trust the MLOK for anything more than a light (no lasers).
    - The magazine catch is out of specification compared to Glock.
    - Recoil is terrible, especially if you actually practice off axis shots without a braced shoulder.
    - Miserable gun in the cold of winter when it is freezing.
    - safety location is dictated by the design- and poorly placed.
    - Folding capability is cool and the latest Gen2 sight updates are workable.

I have had four Keltec guns. I started with a P32 15-16 years ago, and I shot it today. Two pistols have gone back to the factory - that's half. Great gun. Everything that followed was underwhelming if not embarrassing. Unfortunately, I kept buying to hope to get some of the .32 vibe back... The Sub 2k was a gun I desired for a decade, but have regretted the purchase from the first range trip.

If you want a solid blowback gun, there are numerous better designed and more reliable options. AR, CZ, MPX, etc.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wish you wouldn't "Sugar Coat" it like this,tell us how you really feel!?

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I have a 1st Gen S2K. Used to make an ideal car/RV travel gun for me in the Northeast were there's virtually no reciprocity between the states with CCW handgun permits. It qualifies as a long gun, which you generally didn't need a license for across most states here, yet you could easily and discretely move it in/out of your vehicle in a ubiquitous laptop case.

However, after all the mass shootings, especially Sandyhook, assault weapon laws have drastically tightened up and the rifle has been specifically blacklisted in some states.... so there goes that. Still, if a real bug out situation, I think I might go with the G19/S2K pair-up for pretty good defense capabilities in an ultra -light/-compact Grayman travel rig. :)

[​IMG]

dml24, Gary Gross and EZDog like this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My thoughts Exactly!

Except for the Roller Blades of course.

reppans likes this.
  6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

It took a little work but I ended up with a very reliable 9mm carbine that's quite accurate within 100yds, easy to shoot and fit within the limited budget I had when I bought it. Clearly it's not for everyone.

7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I like your pack set up! Very neat and organized. Your idea of pairing the G19/S2K is a great idea. I might want to duplicate that.

reppans and Gary Gross like this.
  8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Thanks but I certainly can't take any credit for G19/S2K pair-up - that's what the S2K was designed for.

I will say it was impossible for me to find a G19mag S2K (most sought after version?) .. I finally gave up and got a G17mag version, and then cut the grip down. In hindsight, it worked out well though - the factory cut looks like an after thought.

Don't forget a G26 as a BUG - takes both 15 and 30 round Glock Mags.

Gary Gross likes this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

As well as the 17 round and 22 round Magpul!

This is why I like mine so much,it can be small but mighty as needed with different mags.

I didn't realize there were different versions of the Sub2K though for different length Glock mags?
    I don't have a G19 so I never really thought about it,I just stuck my G17 mags in it.

It was almost impossible to find mine as well and now I wonder which one it even is?

10. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Just the G17 and G19 versions AFAIK, but I haven't followed them since Gen1. Guess if you excess space (~1.5 bullet's width) at the bottom of the mag, then maybe it's a 19 version?

11. mrtwohands

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I am still kind of on the fence about getting one. Even more so now since I made a trip to the LGS. They had a Mossberg 590 Shockwave and it felt awesome in the hand. I might be leaning more towards that just to be honest. Who doesn't like a shotgun.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  12. mrtwohands

I tell ya. There is always something to buy and when you least expect it. Luckily this time it's a good unexpected. Got offered a great deal on a Gen4 G23. I may have to take them up on it and wait on the Sub2000. But then maybe get a 40 Sub2000....hmm. Almost endless possibilities.

HardToHandle and chaosmagnet like this.
  13. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

The Sub-2000's make a great discrete carry rifle. Not equal to any full sized rifle caliber but, a great match for 9 or 40 pistols. More punch, range and accuracy.
    I own 2 first gens (9 & 40), love them. I have not had any real issues but I don't fire them everyday.
    If you can find one, get it. Yes, some folks don't like Kel-Tec and for good reasons, no argument. But, I own 4 Kel-Tec's and have not had to get them worked on or sent back to the mothership.
    If I did not own one, I would buy one, with all I know now.

Lateck,

dml24 and Gary Gross like this.