1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keltec PF9 oe Ruger LC9

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antman157, Jul 22, 2012.

1. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Which would you choose?

Does anyone own pics and have these guns? I'm addicted to gun :censored: lol

I'm looking for a 9mm pistol to CCW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

Neither, I like my Kahr CM9 :D

I've heard the PF9 shoots better but the LC9 has better fit and finish.

GFL1905 likes this.
  3. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have not knowledge whatsoever about the Ruger LC9, other than Ruger firearms are pretty much bulletproof, no pun intended. I do own the KelTec P-11, the older double stack version of the PF9. The P-11 is 0.1" thicker than the PF9 and all other dimensions appear to be identical. KelTek as a reputation for somewhat hit or miss quality control. Often a process known as "fluff & buff" is required to render the pistol reliable. Also replacing the recoil spring with one more powerful. This is supposed to help with recoil. While my P-11 has never given me a moment's problem, it is no fun to shoot. The recoil is quite stiff, and this is from someone who regularly shoots the stoutest loads available in 9mm, .357 sig, .357 mag, .40 S&W, and .44 mag. About 50 rounds from my P-11 is about the most I can stand. My hand feels like I've been squeezing a tennis ball for 30 minutes when I have finished shooting my P-11, which is equipped with Hogue slip on finger grips, a stouter spring and a magazine grip extension. While I have not used the Ruger, I can't imagine that it would be much different. I can't recommend the P-11 based on shooting it or some kind of extraordinary accuracy. I would recommend the Kahr CW-9, which is a very similar firearm with a marginally longer polygonal barrel and some sort of plastic frame (as are the Ruger and KelTec). The Kahr is more expensive than either the KelTec or Ruger but I think it is by far and away the superior firearm and well worth the price difference.

4. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

Do you shoot a lot or do you only shoot once in a while? Do you mind fluffing and buffing your guns? I carry a highly modified PF9 as a BUG. It's a POS but it does a job. The LC9 is also crap but it polished crap. Round for round, I think the PF9 would be able to shoot more rounds than the PF9 'IF' you're able to get it to run right after you purchase it. ..meaning a fluff and buff.

I've had both and the LC9 didn't give me anything else that I needed that the PF9 didn't escept maybe the reputation that it ran out of the box just fine and the PF9's usually need a fluff and buff. Neither of my two PF9's need that to run right but many do.

Kel-tec takes the PF9 and their other guns to about 70% completion and says, "Box it up & ship it, it's good enough." The price point is what makes that acceptable for many. me included. I don't mind doing things to my guns.

Here is my PF9 with an under cut, trimmed trigger, shaved pinky extension, with Nickle Boron slide & internals.
    [​IMG]

Here it is next to a couple "compacts".
    [​IMG]

5. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I do a good bit of shooting ... Usually every Sunday I'm shooting some rounds

6. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Is the Kahr slim? I wear dress slacks so I don't want a lot of printing

7. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Having shot all three of the guns mentioned, namely, the Kahr, the LC9, and the PF9, I think I can enlighten you somewhat. The Kahr is the nicest gun in the category IMO. It's slim, comfortable to shoot, has a heavenly trigger, and works well. Its quite a bit more costly than the other two. The Ruger will always work for you, has an external safety (important for some), and has the best sights of the three, once again IMO. The Kel-Tec is light, wonderfully reliable and cheap, and has possibly the worst double action trigger I have ever shot. Of the three I would choose the Kahr every time, money allowing. Between the Ruger and the Kel-Tec, I would personally go for the Ruger, even though the Kel-Tec fits my hand better. Don't be dissuaded from the PF9 though. There is a reason it is a very popular gun. If you don't mind the trigger, or are willing to do the work to fix it, the Kel-Tec is a wonderful gun for the price. ONE CAVEAT: None of these guns will be comfortable to shoot intensively or for long periods of time. Don't expect to be running 300 rounds of +P through "just to break it in", you will break your hand.

8. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

It's .9" inches thick at the slide for their 9mm pistols. Today I have on my pair of dress slacks with what I consider "girly" pockets and it fit just fine. I use my reinforced Remora as a pocket holster and it's what is chunky. Without the Kydex top, it would be slimmer. Printing is still minimal but I toss in my pocket light and SAK to make it lumpy and unrecognizable. All of my other dress pants, it disappears. The CM9 (not to be confused with their CW9 which also has conventional rifling) is the budget friendly version of the PM9. Changes are: less slide milling, a different kind of slide roll mark, a fixed (but replaceable) front sight, standard rifling instead of poly, and 1 magazine instead of 2. I spent about $410 brand new out the door with taxes and all. I put 250 rounds downrange for break in and had zero problems.

If you can swing a little more, go for it. I've handled the PF9 and I wasn't impressed. Trigger felt gritty and cheap and the slide was rough. Worse than my P3AT... which I sold to pay for my Kahr.

I also have a PM45 which I paid in the $700 range.

9. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

The new S&W shield is also a good one to consider. I've heard lots of good things about it, but it's a bigger gun in size.

10. MikeN

MikeN Loaded Pockets

I have the PF9 and it's a nice gun, at a great size/weight and price.

Here's a pic of my Springfield XD40, Keltec PF9 and Keltec P3AT

[​IMG]

11. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Reviews I have read say that the Ruger and in fact the S&W shield and the Taurus 709 are a good bit more comportable to shoot.

12. larrupin

larrupin Loaded Pockets

I own and shoot a Ruger lcp, Kel-tec p-11, and a Kahr cm9 and cw9. as stated above much better triggers on the Kahrs. Also even though it is small the cm9 is much more pleasant to shoot for me than the Kel-Tecs. I like all of them but on a small gun that is hard to control anyway having a good trigger like the Kahr does will make a HUGE difference in alot of peoples ability to hit well with the gun. Heavy trigger+lightweight tiny gun= hard to be accurate for most folks.

If you have a range in your area that lets you rent guns I highly recommend doing it. Ergonomics is such a personal preference issue it is just huge to actually shoot the gun yourself to see how it will work for you.

Take care,

larrupin

13. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

What about a PF9 with a Northwood trigger?

http://www.northwoodcomp.com/

I've been considering this option since you can also get a .22 conversion for the PF9.

14. irgun37

irgun37 Loaded Pockets

I love my PF9.

[​IMG]

15. larrupin

larrupin Loaded Pockets

I have a P-11 that I put a Northwood trigger in and it made a HUGE difference in the feel of the trigger and helping to eliminate trigger slap. If it makes as big of a difference on the pf9 as it did on my p11 I would highly recommend it.

16. Colt0208

Colt0208 Loaded Pockets

<<<< this.... owned an LC9 for a few months, could not get used to the trigger... Now have the CM9 and there is no comparison... never owend a PF9 so I can't comment on that one... good luck

17. LemonSlush

LemonSlush Loaded Pockets

PF9 all the way. The trigger pull is better, its lighter and thinner. Also less money. I would get the hard chrome version, they are always more reliable then the blued or parkarized keltecs in my opinion. Also pf9 can have a pocket clip which just rocks.

18. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

I owned a LC9 for about 2 months. The trigger is bad in my opinion. I just could not shoot it well at all.
    It wasnt for me...

19. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Neither. M&P9 Shield