1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

KelTec PF 9

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Bellasdaddy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with the Kel Tec 9MM line? I have become interested in them.

2. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I prefer the P-11....but there isn't a thing wrong with the PF-9

3. dethrok

dethrok Empty Pockets

I have one. I also have a p3at and a g26. Here is the iPad-hobbled thoughts:

The pf9 is a bit more refined than the p3at. Shoots a bit better - not as sharp a recoil. It's nice and thin and conceals much easier than the g26. Lighter on the belt too. The trigger is long and very doubly actioney but manageable. Reset isn't as crisp or easy to run as the glock. It has given me 2 light primer strikes in the fierst few mags - since nothing over a few hundred rounds - bought it used and i think i was getting used to it. About par for keltec quality. I can't shoot it quite as well as the glock, but more than accurate at combat distance. I like it and carry it several times a week. Not as easy to get stuff for compared to the glock.

Hope that helps

I'm hoping the resurgence of the pocket 9s will refine the genre like the industry did to the small 380s in the past few years.

4. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

I have been carrying a PF-9 daily for more than 2 years. I keep it well greased, clean and in a personalized IWB holster. I shoot at least once a month with it and find it very reliable with no fail to feed or fail to eject. To be fair, I did have some of that during the first 200rnds but then did some polishing of the feed ramp and internal mechanisms as described over at KTOG.ORG and now completely trust my life and my family's life to it. It's also fairly accurate at self-defense distances. If thinking about it, definitely check out KTOG.ORG for specific, expert advice ( I'm in no way affiliated with that site except as a long-time lurker/forum contributor).

5. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

I have one that I sort of inherited and the design needs a little work. Some of the pluses are that it is really tiny, skinny, and light. Laid next to my XD-9 sub compact the PF9 is way, way, way thinner. The other plus is that it is, relatively speaking, inexpensive.

The downsides for the one that I have are that the sights are wildly off..it takes serious work off a rest to keep all shots on a paper plate at 7 yards; it shoots probably 8 inches high at 7 yards. I think the rear sight is messed up and is not representative of the pistol design. I can group a magainze with KEl Tec P-32 at 7 yards off hand into way less than a playing card with the P-32's much crappier sights.

The recoil is pretty stout and the molding of the frame can be pretty abrasive along the molding lines at the front and back strap; this can be sanded off but it really shouldn't be necessary. This is much less of an issue for me but it was for the person I got the pistol from. This is not a pistol that you will target shoot with, but that isn't the point or intent of the pistol. Simple physics indicate that recoil will be stout and that is immutable...the raised edges left over after the grip is molded is entirely something that Kel Tec can control.

I don't care for the magazine release on mine which is ploymer and doesn't always cleanly drop the magazine. Kel Tec appears to have fixed this and is offering a steel magazine release on newer models and a free upgrade on older models.They should have just done it right the first time.

Overall, I think it is a great idea and a pretty good design but my experience with this particular example (an earlier model) is not stellar. This is not unusual for Kel Tec as they tend to have a history of rolling out designs before all the kinks have been worked out and then pay the price for it.

For all the problems it does have the gun has always gone bang and never had a FTF or FTE. My take on it is that is a good weapon but I know that the example I have stays in the safe...I'll take my Taurus 850 any day. Then again I take my Taurus 850 on most days.

6. MikeN

MikeN Loaded Pockets

I have a PF-9 as well.... good gun. Definitely liked it over the P11. Been a good gun, definitely has some kick for a 9mm :) I also have (and love) an XD-40, but the PF-9 is much easier to carry. Well, that or the P3AT I also have :p

7. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

Sincere thanks for all of these comments. I am looking for something that is very concealable and I have access to a bunch of 9MM. And yes, this is more for self-defence than plinking.

Ok, second question: what should I be paying for one of these? MSRP is $333 (I think)

8. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

I've been seeing them for $250 in NC. I recently looked at the Ruger SR9c - it's comparable in size, a little larger. But also a great 9mm.

9. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Ditto

10. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

I would suggest finding a local FFL dealer that will do a transfer and then look online. CDNN Investments carries the PF9 pretty consistently in the low $200s if I remember correctly. Gun broker is a good site as well.

11. GrumpyGrizzly

GrumpyGrizzly Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying my PF-11 for several years now and quite often forget I have it inside my pants with the belt clip. One big factor to consider for the PF-11 is you can use S&W "59" mags in them. I've heard in the past cops would carry the S&W 459's and carry a Keltec PF-11 as a backup because they could swap mags easily. I guess that's before all the cops went to Glocks. Fine by me though, makes those '59's a lot easier to come by.

12. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I've had my P-11 for about 6 months now. I carry it every day in a Galco Stow&Go IWB holster and have taken it to the range 5 times with only 1 FTF which was ammo related. I didn't really have a tough time deciding between the P-11 or PF-9 when I bought mine. I'd heard the Kel-tec 9mm's had a bit of kick due to their size and figured that would be a little less with the P-11 since it's a little heavier. I also wanted the 3 extra rounds of the double stack mag and the compatibility with the S&W mags. I'm a pretty big guy so concealing the P-11 is no problem and I really don't have a problem with the recoil either. I got mag extenders for the mags and my P-11 fits perfectly and comfortably in my hand.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a PF-9. But the P-11 just suits my own needs better.

13. FlatFender

FlatFender Loaded Pockets

I have a PF9. It's ok.

Not a range toy, fairly uncomfortable to shoot. Reliable, and accurate enough for what it is. Trigger is pretty bad, even for a dao pistol.

14. rockape

rockape Loaded Pockets

Don't have a PF-9, but I do have a P3AT & SU16CA from Keltec, and never had a problem with either. Some say because they are not steel or alloy they are inferior. Keltec has excellent CS and stands behind their products.

15. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

I loved mine but I love it's replacement even more. (Glock26) There really isn't much of a comparison between the two but individually the PF9 was a very good and well concealed 9mm. The ease of carry is second to none in 9x19.

16. swnh

swnh Loaded Pockets

+1

I also have one (and a G26). Comments are identical with my experiences with them.

17. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

I had one. I put 100 rounds through it for the break in and sold it. It was great in the pocket, but I thought it was garbage to be honest. The trigger was horrible and I had a few FTF.

18. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

See nutnfancy's review of the PF-9 on youtube. Just some more data FWIW.

19. Smousefam5

Smousefam5 Loaded Pockets

I almost convinced myself to buy one twice...but I just couldn't do it. The trigger was just too bad.

20. swnh

swnh Loaded Pockets

I have one also. While I've not put too many rounds thru it yet (only about 300), I have a couple gripes. Yes, the trigger sucks. The problem I have it just getting my finger in there. Seems to be made for very slender digits.

As soon as I got it, I added those magazine extensions on them because I have large hands and it gave me a better grip. Every two shots, the mag would disengage. Maybe it was because of the pressure I was putting on that extension combined with the recoil that dislodged the magazine or I was hitting the mag release or something. After 2 mags worth, I removed those extensions and it never happened again.

While I prefer my G26 (or any of my other Glocks, for that matter), the PF9 excels at concealment. It just disappears on my front pocket or IWB with the clip.