1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kel-Tec P-11 vs. Glock 19

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by PandasInCommand, Apr 15, 2008.

?

Which should I buy? (Please post your reasoning below!)

1. Kel-Tec P-11 ~ $250

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Glock 19 ~ $550

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PandasInCommand

PandasInCommand Loaded Pockets

Alright EDCF'ers, I have done tons and tons of reading and I'm still on the fence. I have read the Glock torture test, and the fit and finish of a Glock is impeccable. If you spend any time at ktog.org and read about the P-11, you'll wonder why yoou should ever spend more than $250 on a compact 9mm. With Glock you get the well known reliability and plethora of goodies readily available. With Kel-Tec you get cutting edge (if a little rough around the edges) innovation, at a killer entry price.

I searched and searched and couldn't find a dedicated thread for this question, so please help me decide. My wallet is on the line here as I will be buying, at the latest, in May.

2. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

I own a Glock 19 and a Kel-tec P3AT. I got the kel-tec first as a carry gun. I realize that this model is significantly smaller than the P-11, but finish is about the same. For the money, kel-tecs are great, but don't buy one unless you plan on doing some gun smithing, sending it back to Kel-tec for refinements, etc (in most cases). Don't get me wrong, they are fun guns, and well worth the money.

The Glock hands very well, in my opinion. Due to the P-11 size it will most assuredly have more recoil and be less comfortable to shoot than the Glock will. It ultimately depends on the purpose of your purchase also, everyday shooter, or used as a back up and shot only maintain competence. Hope that helps. Any questions, let me know. For what it's worth, there is a reason most major military and law enforcement agencies issue Glocks and Sigs.

Oh, and you should be able to find a better price for Glock 19s than $550. I would start poking around gun shows for good deals.

3. PandasInCommand

I consider myself to be a pretty competent person with detailed hand-work, so this is not really a concern for me. Like I said, I have spent plenty of time on KTOG, and the fluff and buff among other things seems like a breeze. I'm also somewhat of a tinkerer so this appeals to me.

I know the 14oz. P-11 will be a bit of a wild shooter, but with practice I assume it would become the nature of the beast. I will not be conceal and carrying, this mostly just be a fun-at-the-range gun.

I am leaning a bit towards the Kel-Tec, but it's my wallet that is pushing me!

I just put approximate store pricing, I know if I hunt I could find better deals on both arms. I have seen lower prices on both even in retail locations.

4. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have a P-11 that is several years old. It has never failed to fire, load or eject on the firing range. That said, it's more of a point and shoot pistol - the sights are not really good enough for true aiming. The trigger pull and hammer mechanism are more like that of a cap pistol (if they still make those things or you are old enough to remember them). The P-11 is not fun to shoot. After about 50 rounds, your hand feels as if you've spent the time squeezing a rubber ball. I only carry my P-11 when I can't carry one of my Sigs. It fits nicely in a pants pocket with a good pocket holster.

While I don't particularly like Glocks, it is not because they are not a very high quality pistol. I don't like the grip and I don't like not being able to easily see whether the hammer is or is not cocked. But I know that those who own and like Glocks can shoot them very accurately and that you could trust your life to it with all confidence. I could say the same thing of my Sigs, but not the P-11. If you want something in a real quality pistol, perhaps the only one you will own, but not as expensive as a Glock, try a CZ-75 in one of the compact versions. Not as small as the P-11, but a high quality and accurate pistol - one you could trust with your life. I would not be happy or confident with the P-11 being the only pistol I had to rely on.

5. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

What Saniterra has said is very accurate. As an everyday shooter I would recommend something other than a kel-tec. As an infrequently used backup gun, the kel-tec might not be a bad option. Good luck, make sure to post pictures of whatever you buy.

6. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I was going to buy a Keltec P-11 several years ago. I dry fired it and handed it back to the dealer. It had the worst trigger pull I have ever felt on a pistol. I own several Glocks and 2 Keltec 32s. I would suggest you go with a Glock. I think there are better choices for a compact concealed carry 9mm but your question just dealt with these 2 guns so I'll stop there.

7. PandasInCommand

Whatever I buy will probably be my only handgun, what yuu say does not bode well for the Kel-Tec.

For me, the G19 and G26 with grip extensions fit like a glove. I do not have any plans to keep a round in the chamber during storage, but the new Glocks do have a "chambered" indicator.

I will check out the CZ-75 when I get home, thank you for the excellent feedback.

The Glock is pulling ahead! Do you have any opinions on the CZ-75?

(I will definitely post pics after I make a decision and a purchase ;D)

Please, if you have any 9mm recommendations in the <$500 range, post away!

8. PandasInCommand

I will add these recommendations to the poll, just give manufacturer name, model and approximate retail price.

9. inthedark

inthedark Empty Pockets

I just picked up a G19 about 3 days ago, but I don't own the P-11 to compare it to, but I do have a Kel-tec. If it's anything like their SU-16's I'd say the glocks are a better quality, although I've never had any problems with either.

From what you've been saying, if this is your only gun, and you're only using it for fun and range practice, I'd probably go for the glock. The main advantage of the Kel tec is its small size, so if that's not something high on your priority list, then I really don't see a good reason to go with it over the glock. You already know the pros and cons of each, so it really just comes down to what you prefer. One thing I like about glocks is their commonality, if you like to tinker you can find upgrade parts almost anywhere, plus if you decide to purchase another handgun in the future of the same caliber, you can interchange the magazines.

I can say this after having gone through a very similar decision. If you buy the Kel-tec, you'll probabably always look at the glock and wonder if you should have made a different decision. If you buy the glock, I don't think you'll think the same thing about the kel-tec.

Have you considered used guns? You can open up your options if you're willing to buy slightly used. I've seen CZ-75's, berettas 92F, and quite a few others selling for about $500. For just a little bit more (maybe $600+) you can get a used Sig P226(or 229?, can't remeber which one) or find a police trade in HK P7. That's a tinkerers dream, it's got so many unusual features that just playing with it is as much fun as shooting it.

10. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

I just bought Kel-tec PF9 for 260.00usd. I shot 200 rds through it yesterday and i am very pleased. You won't find a better ccw in this caliber for that price. If you follow the instructions here, you will find it to be a very reliable firearm. Here's a review and comparison.

11. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

A neat 9mm that usually goes for less than $500 is the steyr M-A1

As seen here

12. micman777

micman777 Empty Pockets

I'll give a +1 to what Saniterra said. I have had a P11 for 2 years, and while it is an easy pistol to conceal, after about 50 rounds it starts to wear on your hand. Other than that it is not a bad pistol for the price.

Between your choices of the P11 or the G19, the G19 wins hands down, better to spend a little more and get a more reliable and accurate handgun, especially if it is the only one you will have. Glock offers alot of variations of their pistols, and a Glock like the G26/G27 is comparable in size to the P11 is availeable.

[​IMG]

13. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I would suggest that you look at the Keltec PF9. It has a much better trigger system than the P-11 and it is a good bit thinner.

I had a Kahr P9 for a while. It is a very nice, light, thin pistol. The smaller version would be even better.

If you want small and want a Glock, the model 26 would be easier to carry than the 19. I have a 19 and a 27. The 19 is my car gun on trips and the 27 is my ankle gun at work. There is a noticeable difference in size between them.

14. PandasInCommand

I guess I had it coming asking about guns on the EDC site, but whatever pistol I get will be kept at home and shot on the weekends at the range. I'm not going to apply for the CC license (unless my buddy pays for it, he keeps begging me to get one with him.), so compact is not a requirement. I was considering the Kel-Tec due to price, but the consensus here seems to be that unless I need a small back-up, the P-11 won't be worth it (comfort, finish, reliability, etc.).

My friend just bought a G26 and without the mag/grip extensions I'm not a big fan (I hav e some big hands), although if I came across a really good deal on a G26, it would make up for the added accessories cost.

15. micman777

micman777 Empty Pockets

When you made the comment that you were looking at the P-11, I assumed you would be carrying it as a EDC pistol. I have big hands also, and that accompanied with the size, and trigger on the P-11 makes it less enjoyable to shoot at the range.

I still think the G19 is the better of your two choices.

16. PandasInCommand

I haven't gotten to play around with a P-11 so I wasn't sure of the size, but seeing how many people here say that the Kel-Tec is not the most fun to shoot, I'm not even going to think about it. I love my buddies G26, and I like the big brother G19, I was just drawn in at the thought of a ~ $250 pistol :p

17. jgatliff

jgatliff Loaded Pockets

Go with the Glock 19. If you shop around you can probably find a factory refurbished one for a decent price. Our local gun store is selling refurb'ed 22's for $400 and it comes with Night Sights & 3 Mags!

It's on my list.

I've owned both a Glock & a Kel-tec, and I would seriously go with the Glock. I don't think you'll be sorry.
    JG

18. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

For a general shooter and plinker, I'd say go for the Glock 19. If you're going to require the extended mag finger rest, then I really don't see much reason for go for the Glock 26. Once you add the finger rest, it's almost the same dimensionally as the Glock 19, except for about 3/4 inch on the slide. So, you're losing a bit of barrel length, velocity and sight radius, and you have a "normal fit" 10 round mag instead of the 15 round mag.
    If you're just looking for an inexpensive but enjoyable plinker, have you looked at the Makarov? It's not 9mm NATO, it's chambered in 9x18mm Makarov. They can be found for about the same price as the Kel-Tec, but they're all steel, durable & very accurate. Beautiful midsized little guns.
    The CZs would be good alternatives. Also, there are some bargains to be found right now on ex-German police pistols. I just bought a beautiful P6 (P225) for $269. It's almost like new, been carried a bit, fired very little. Exceptionally accurate pistol.

Tim

19. red

red Empty Pockets

I own and kel-tec P-11 and I can't recommend it as your only handgun. The trigger is pretty rough, you will get tired
    of shooting it after about 50-75 rounds. I say either go for the Glock or keep shopping.

20. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Buy the Glock and be done and be happy O0. The Kel-tecs are okay but they are not a Glock. In the $500.00 range they rule, unless you can find a nice used :bow: :dance: Sig P-225.