1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keeping your Rx meds legal

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by foxy, Jan 12, 2008.

1. busylilnurse

busylilnurse Loaded Pockets

Well at the jail, I never saw an officer (jail or road) complain about that, but honestly we couldnt give those meds to any detainees. We needed them in the prescription bottle (or I'd call the pharmacy and verify) and then we'd call the dr. (I use that term loosely) for orders. I had a guy's wife bring in a Folgers coffee can FULL of prescription bottles, most expired. That was fun to sort through.......not.

2. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

lol :D

3. busylilnurse

busylilnurse Loaded Pockets

Okay its a little OT....except its the same guy was brought into the intake garage who insisted he needed his O2 constantly and his cane to walk. So I asked the arresting officer (who was rolling his eyes at this point) "whats the story?" So he tells me "I pull up in the driveway, he's sitting on his porch throwing one back, sees me, gets up and RUNS (sans cane) into the house. I enter (he smiles at this point) and the suspect (who has a warrant) is yelling "you can't arrest me I need my oxygen and I need my cane"

....yah, same guy who RAN into the house....same guy who's wife brought the Folgers can full of meds....

job security :(

4. chris777

chris777 Loaded Pockets

Wow, just wow, I had heard some stories when I Finally got some schedule medications, but I had assumed I would get buy with carry.

I carried a pocket pill case with my daily meds for a while, now I am trying out one of those aluminum key fob pill holders.

I am on hydrocodone, soma, and morphine, so I am assuming I would go to jail, if I were stopped for some reason.
    I used to carry around the stickers from my medications on a tape laminated card in my wallet till I accidentally washed it.

Should I get my pharmacist to make me up some of the smallest pill bottles they have and put just enough in them to show what the medications are?
    And just keep those bottles in my car at all times?

or am I screwed with carrying them around?

Thats another problem with carrying these things as I am sure you are already aware their are people who will steal them in a heartbeat.

Luckily (or to be more honest unluckily) for me they are not very effective at relieving my pain, so if I were to have them stolen, I would just suffer through it as I have been anyway for the most part.
    But its scary to think I could end up in an uncomfortable jail cell and then denied my pain medication for speeding, or just a routine check. I am trying to nap in my car for instance when I am tired, and Afraid to drive that way, I imagine that a curious cop migh stop me for that if the were so inclined.

5. kruspe

kruspe Loaded Pockets

Hopefully you stop before you nap.
    ;D

I'm fortunate not to have this problem. I do carry some generic acetominophen and cold medicine in my school bag just in case, but no regular meds.

6. Antrax

Antrax Loaded Pockets

I don't think that having one or two percocet in a pill box should be any problem with the cops. It's not illegal if a doctor prescribe them. Even so, most generic prescriptions comes in various shapes and forms so unless the cops have pharmacological training or a PDR (Physician Desk Reference book) I don't think they could id the generic pills that easy.

I mean one or two pills is OK, but a bag full percocet, you're asking for it. When I travel my meds are in it's labeled container just to prevent any problem at the airport.

Diego

7. sandpine

sandpine Empty Pockets

My SO takes a number of Sked meds and demands to carry the smallest purse possible, so the pills
    are mixed in a small pill carrier.

I posed the 'unlabeled' carry question to our pharmacist who supplied us with an extra set of bottle labels
    and receipts. I duplex copied the pharmacy receipts and the actual Dr script onto a single sheet of paper, which
    she carries in her wallet. My goal is to update/recreate this every 2 or 3 months to keep it current.

Maybe not the best solution but a reasonable level of comfort.

SandPine

8. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I carry a three day supply of my most common prescribed meds: 6 generic zoloff, 9 generic clonazepam, generic relafin, and miscellaneous OTC meds (small aspirin, benedryl, pseudophedrine) in a Jazebra pill fob in my waist pack. The clonazeapam is a controlled substance, but I don't know about the others. I don't care whether it's legal or not (that's the clonazepam working as it should). If I miss taking my zoloff by more than 4 hours, I begin to get a little weird in a violent sort of way. It's worth the potential legal hassle to avoid the weirdness that could be real trouble for someone else as well as myself.

9. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I am not anyone's lawyer but here is some info:

1. Not all prescription pills are on the DEA controlled drug list (divided into four schedules). For example Rogaine is a proscribed drug, but not a controlled drug. In fact a lot prescribed drugs are not controlled drugs. Obviously most pain relievers are controlled drugs. If you want to make sure you are okay check the DEA schedule (google that phrase) and then check for your drug's IUPAC name on Wikipedia. The DEA schedule lists drugs according to their IUPAC name (not the marketing name). After you have the IUPAC name control F for the name on the DEA list. That is not a guarantee, but it is a pretty good guide.

2. In the state I practice in there is a law that makes it illegal to carry drugs outside of their properly labeled container. Most states have something like this. This law seems to be really silly (so when I pick up my wife's pills at CVS I am breaking the law?) and rarely results in punishment when the person can later show a valid prescription at the time. Technically though, it is illegal.

3. Some pharmacies can provide you with smaller but still properly labeled containers.

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have never had any problems with keeping my RX meds. legal.

11. Charles1198

Charles1198 Empty Pockets

I used my labelmaker to make a nice little label for my pocket pill container: it has the drug name, prescription number, pharmacy phone number and doctor's name on it. It they want any further information, they can call the pharmacy -- it's open 24 hours. The pill container is a hollowed out chapstick tube that rides in a leather pouch with a bunch of EDC gear in my pocket at all times.

In the bag in my car, I have some other medicines, and I used the label from one of the old med bottles (same script).

12. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

This is a great topic. As a LEO, I come in contact with RX drugs all the time. I understand that it can be inconvenient to carry a RX Med bottle, so I try to give warnings when I come across controlled substances. That said, I have found them in cigarette boxes, coin purses, & wallets to name a few. Long story short, you may not get pinched, but you are going to get delayed and most likely will loose your meds should you encounter a cop.

I have also seen the other side as an EMT. If you are unconscious, and the paramedics find random pills, it gives them no indication of your condition. Finding a couple a pill bottles marked well can go a long way in your emergency treatment.

If it were me, I would take my spy capsule, and my concern to my pharmacist. They should be able to guide you, maybe even label your spy capsule for you, then you're all set.

13. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

Good advice ! :iagree:

14. Autoelite

Autoelite Loaded Pockets

The only drugs you would probably get hassled for are drugs that can be abused to get 'high' and have a 'street value'. Besides the obvious painkillers one I havnt seen mentioned is A.D.D. medication like Adderal and Ritilan which also have a street value and abuse potential. My answer to carrying perscription drugs in other containers is I put the empty bottle in my glove compartment of my van. No matter where I am my van is usually very nearby so if there was a question I could produce the original container which has all the info on it.

15. twodogknight

twodogknight Empty Pockets

My experience has been that there is no problem carrying your scripts or taking them publicly as long as they ARE yours. If anyone acts suspiciously it draws attention to themselves or the pills they have then trouble might occur. I carry my pain pills in a SS spy tube and take my scripts everywhere. I've never, ever had anyone question me about it. I am, however, obviously disabled and suffer partial paralysis and have difficulty walking. It might be different for anyone seemingly healthy and mobile to be popping a bunch of pills all the time.

I am a little surprised at how so many seem so sure the cops will be interested in you for taking pills. I'm heavily tattooed, look like i'm 27(really38) and have dress casually but never get bothered by the law. And i've lived in cities all my adult life. I think as long as you look like you're confident and not being sneaky no cop should ever question ya!

If an LEO does happen to question you and you can't explain what the meds are and what they're for it does *look* suspicious. Luckily i know all my info by heart and can tell dosage, interval, date of prescription, refill, physician etc without batting an eye. And i never, ever, ever give anyone else my stuff. Especially the elephant-grade pain meds i need to keep going.

Of course, by the time you survive two broken necks you get pretty familiar with handling meds and anyone who might interfere with your relief...lol I suppose i probably *should* carry the prescription bottles at all times, it just aint practical in my case. Between my EDC, cane/walkin' stik and my murse i'm pretty loaded down...

16. Ken C.

Ken C. Loaded Pockets

For period of time after a serious injury I was taking Vicodin everyday, 3 or 4 times a day for months. It was a hassle to carry a large Rx bottle with me everywhere I went so I carried 4 pills in a small pill container that was easily carried in my pocket. To avoid any hassle I carried a copy of my Rx given to me by my pharmacist in my wallet should anyone be concerned enough to ask.

17. jacksnack

jacksnack Empty Pockets

Great Post!

I take various scheduled pills for a chronic condition. I am also prescribed non-scheduled drugs. As far as the scheduled drugs, I take them as needed. SO, I am able to leave them at home and not carry on a regular basis. If I do need them. I take off the firearm and someone else drives. I am vary capable of driving while under the influence, but I don't. The original pill bottle goes with me if I carry them.

As for the others, (non-controlled), I think I will carry a copy of the paper handed to me with the script (duplicate receipt) and stick it in a plastic bag with the meds to save space.

As for OTC meds they are either
    1- in a "blister pack"
    2-Labled with the name on them in the brand container.

Great Post! O0

18. MusicPhan

MusicPhan Loaded Pockets

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I just got here. ;)

I'm no pharmacist, but from what I understand, drinking while taking controlled pain medication is it's own recipe for disaster, is it not?

My pharmacist gives me mini-labels along with my receipt, which is nice--if I don't lose them first. I carry a days' worth of meds (Welbutrin x2, Allegra-D x2, Timolol x4), plus plenty of Advil (8-10) in either a small 1x2 resealable baggie or one of those small trial-size bottles. Pharmacy and Dr's #s are in my cell phone and script details, along with allergies and other info, are in my wallet (do EMTs actually check there?). Even when I traveled with stronger, more controlled stuff (that either didn't work or insurance stopped paying for!), I've never been hassled, even at airport security. But then my full bottles are in my checked bags if they ever desired to verify.

Though I suspect not being able to drive and not drinking greatly reduces my chances of being picked up for anything ;D

-- Steph

19. Ghillie

Ghillie Loaded Pockets

I used to fly internationally a lot. After an injury to my lower back and hip, I had lots of stuff that I was supposed to carry and take on a plane. I had one key chain carrier that had the stick on label for the primary pain killer and I would put that, the SOMA, and two sleeping pills in the container for a trip and the Rx bottles in my carry on. This was a good way to have dinner, take my meds, curl up in a fetal position and go to sleep for six hours without having to get up and sort through several pill containers while half the plane watched.

Do you know that TSA (other countries didn't seem to care) had issues with the legal prescriptions in the carry on, but not the key chain even though i immediately showed them the fob as soon as they raised the issue of "any more drugs?" I guess they thought that I was going to sell them on the plane or something... This is the only time in more than 10 years flying with a Diplomatic Passport that I was ever hassled - except for the time in Cincinatti when the TSO guy asked me the difference between a Diplomatic Passport and a regular passport and he was truly curious! He didn't know!

20. MusicPhan

MusicPhan Loaded Pockets

I would think (hope?) if they had an issue with it, they wouldn't have let you off so easily. While not all TSA agents have common sense, I suspect those who've been at it long enough can usually tell the difference between selling and personal use. And all it would take is one look at the dosage on the script to see how many to expect in there for a days' use. Of course, it would be nice if a TSA agent could just show up and tell us ;).

I don't know the difference. Is there one?

-- Steph