1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keeping IFAK meds current for casual user?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by wahoowad, Jul 17, 2019.

1. wahoowad

wahoowad Loaded Pockets

I have a Condor Rip-Away FAK with a good assortment of stuff. I take it on camping trips, extended fishing trips and beach vacations and fortunately rarely need to use it. Over time the meds pass their expiration, which I am not too hung up on using expired meds. But since my meds/ointments sometimes are shared with others I do like the idea of keeping them current or somewhat current.

How do others remind themselves or otherwise have a system for keeping things current? It’s been a struggle for me since it’s just an after-thought and I don’t crack it open but once a year or less.

2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

There are only a few things where this matters to me, so I've made a note of those few items in my todo system with a dated reminder.

This would be unmanageable if it were more than a few items. In that case I'd probably do an annual review and date check of my FAKs.

JHGM likes this.
  3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Check it and replace it at any chosen holiday., like Christmas, Easter or whatever you prefer. Most meds in IFAKs are very cheap to replace and widely available so just replace the ones with an expiration date within the year. That way you'll know you're up to date.

4. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

oh man, I need something badly to keep things up to date. I was putting together a small boo-boo kit for a weeklong summer camp for my kid that was going. There is a camp medic along with various level of medical people on staff. The kit is really for minor stuff such a cut,scrap, etc... that you can treat yourself. I had some stuff that expired 5-10 years ago.

I didn't necessarily want to gut my FAK in my daily bag or the car. I figure perhaps it time that everyone has their own.

5. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

My kit lives in my truck. I do oil changes on the truck twice per year. At each oil change, while the oil is changing I swap out the meds in the medkit and give the fire extinguisher a shake.

PragmaticMurphyist and Lateck like this.
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Loaded Pockets

Glad my FAK was somewhat up to date. After making my OP I went to the beach with the family. I got a massive fishing hook stuck in my big toe, and also got it unstuck. Was glad to have good antibiotics and a supply of bandages and bandaids to get me thru it. Also doled out some benadryl, ibuprofin, bansaids and antibiotic ointment for numerous minor accidents.

Lateck likes this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Well, I can't like that - I'd much rather we never needed our FAKs and they were a complete waste of money! - but I'm glad you had it and that it served you well.

8. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I usually change mine out when I change the clock in my car so it's every 6 months. The meds from my car get cycled into the drawer in my house where they get used more often so they don't usually expire but if they do, it's not a big deal

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.