1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kata T-214 camera bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by LUW, Jun 20, 2010.

1. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

This is not an EDC bag per se, but you could consider it an EDC camera bag, so I think this thread goes here (butplease move if necessary). Anyhow, from now on the T-214 is my EDC camera bag :-X.

Well, some time ago I asked around about what camera bag to get, since I needed a new bag and roomy enough to carry a Nikon D90 (with regular 18-105 mm lens) + 300 mm tele + macro lens + battery charger, cleaning kit, etc. After how much I liked my Maxped Sitka, I was thinking about a sling type bag, and somebody suggested one of the Kata models. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was, but THANK YOU very much for the suggestion! This bag ROCKS!
    O0

First let me show you what the Kata T-214 is about:

[​IMG][​IMG]

No, that's not me, I'm much more handsome and would NOT wear a green wool jacket (and with stripes!). As you can see from the model on Kata's website, the T-214 is a sling type bag that rides on your back but when you spin it around it comes to your front, putting all your gear in easy reach.

[​IMG]

First thing you notice is the padding. It's very well made and I have the impression that if I drop the bag on a hard service my gear will be safe in there.

[​IMG]

Once you swing it around to your chest, you grab that loop, pull back to open the zippers and then unbuckle the tip of the lid, and there you have your camera in a "ready to shoot" position right out of the bag.

[​IMG]

In terms of size, the 214 is perfect for what I needed, and since you can divide the interior as you wish, it can accommodate a lot of different gear and combinations. Kata does have different versions of this bag, bigger and smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are even other pockets on the bag that so far I haven't had any use for, but if needed I could cram more stuff in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was at home alone and using my "wife camera" (Sony TX) when I made these pics, so I couldn't show how it looks on me. But after using it for a couple of weeks, with all the gear that you see in there, I can say the bag is very comfortable and quite practical to lug my D90 around.

ISSUES
    I won't say this is the ultimate sling type camera bag because of two tiny issues. First is that loop, that you grab to open the bag. That buckle that connects the straps on each zipper is not sturdy, and I think it's just a matter of time before it breaks (and I substitute it with paracord).

The second issue is the stabilizing strap. Just like the Sitka, the 214 also has a stabilizing strap, that connects the free end of the bag to the shoulder harness so that you can make the bag stationary on your back. The problem is that the strap is made in such a way that it comes out from the shoulder harness, and not the bag, so if you're not using it (and that would be most of the time), you'll get a big length of nylon webbing dangling from your chest. On the last pic you can see how I rolled it up. On the Sitka, the strap comes out from the bag, and even has a place to stash the strap out of the way if necessary. On the first pic, if you look right under the front pocket on the lower corner of the bag, you'll see the "female buckle end" for the strap. For pete's sake, why build it like this [​IMG]?

Even with these two issues I simply adored this bag, and couldn't be happier about it. It has the perfect size and I can carry all I need even with some room to spare, the quality seems to be bomb proof and it's terribly comfortable to carry my photo gear around :notworthy:.

2. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

only guessing here but i guess the stabilizer strap is done that way so as to be easier to find rather then have to fumble blinding after it behind your back.

and thanks for reminding me about camera bags, as their flexible internals makes them usable for more then just cameras ;)

3. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

I can't say what their reasoning was, but the problem is, beside the strap dangling around when not in use, it's pretty awkward to connect with the female end of the buckle when you're wearing the bag. The strap on the Sitka is much easier to use.

4. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

wow... sweet review. I may have been one of the ones singing the Kata's praises but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think this review may be what causes me to finally get one.

5. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

If you like the concept of sling type bags, you will not be disappointed by the T-214 ;).

6. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Sweet bag!! And nice review, BTW.

If you can locate another side-release buckle of the right size, I'd suggest you cut the stabilizer strap off near the main strap, and add the other SRB there. That way you can connect/disconnect the stabilizer strap from either end.

7. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

I don't want to cut the buckle on the base of the bag, so whatever I do I need to do it in a way that I can use that female buckle there.

8. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I'm not saying to do anything with the existing buckle at the base of the bag, just add another one at the other end of the stabilizer strap, so you can detach it from either end.

9. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I just have to find one that fits though.

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Looks like a handy camera bag. Kata makes some very functional products.

I hope that model in the right photo didn't have the camera body stored in bag the without the cap.

11. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

He's a model, remember? :nana: