1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Karas Kustoms Retrakt vs EDK?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Flint HIlls, May 19, 2016.

1. Flint HIlls

Flint HIlls Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have both of these and care to comment?

Anyone hacked different refills into the EDK?

2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I'm going to be in the minority here but I had the EDK for awhile and sent it back...I thought it would feel like a shortened Retrakt but it didn't.. 2 reasons;

a.) The rings on the EDK while they look cool were eating into my fingers..it made it uncomfortable when writing for a long time..perhaps I grip it too hard.
    b.) This is bizarre..it felt thicker/wider than the Retrakt.. I think its due to the shape of the nose..it is not tapered as much as the Retrakt.. its really strange.. I put the EDK clicker body on the Retrakt and and EDK nose on my Retrakt clicker body..they are the same diameter ..so it must the nose shape that is doing this..

a third annoyance that made me send it back..
    c.) The EDK is designed for the P8126 refill. Yes you can put a Parker refill in (or fisher with the white adapter)..but they are
    very close to the nose when retracted..not protruding but clearly not perfectly designed. The Retrakt did not have tip retraction problem when going between Parker and Pilot G2 refills.

BTW: A pilot G2 would not fit in the EDK...it tip refill step bangs againt the inside nose of the EDK (designed for a 8126 refill).

With the it not being comfortable and not feeling like a baby Retrakt I returned it. The Retrakt remains the better one to me.

3. Flint HIlls

Flint HIlls Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you've had your Retrakt for a whIle. Do you still like it?

4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I have not used it in a while. I had switched to the G2 in it and but lately I've been using my shorter pens. That said I could write for hours with the retrakt. I guess after the edk I was bummed on KK. That said. I'm checking out another own maker this weekend..the one that started the American metal pen bug for me..

5. jaagiv

jaagiv Loaded Pockets

I too have had a retrakt for a while and I do like it still. Was thinking about an edk as the retrakt is rather long....but the lack of g2 support is a no go for me. What is this other company you speak of ? I'd like to research..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

6. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

I'm going to guess he meant Maxmadco available at, well, maxmadco.com.

I've had my original Maxmadco stainless with the original black relief logo for some years now, and use it frequently. Great product and I recommend it wholeheartedly. In my experience, Maxmadco himself is quite responsive to queries from customers. And good news, they take g2's. :wavespin:

Meanwhile, after a few years of happy use of my Maxmadco and my Zebra F-702 Space Pens, I find myself itching for a little excitement and am looking at the Retrakt. So I'm also researching.

7. lostaggie

lostaggie Loaded Pockets

I have both. Love both, just depends on use. My EDK stays with my field notes and my retract stays with briefcase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I'm assuming you mean the Parker-style refill, that's called a G2, not the Pilot G2 refill. Because if a Pilot G2 refill fit in a Maxmadco, I would have my grail pen. I love my Maxmadco pen so much, but I just can not find a Parker-style blue-black fine point refill that makes me want to stick with it. My perfect refill is the Pilot Juice blue-black (which is exactly the same size as a Pilot G2 refill), but it won't fit in the Maxmadco.

MichiganMan likes this.
  9. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I backed the EDK on Kickstarter thinking that it would be a shorter Retrakt, which is a little too long for me. Since the Retrakt takes the Pilot G2 refill, I had no reason to believe the EDK wouldn't take one if I cut it down. When I got the pen and found that the tip of the Pilot G2 refill wouldn't pass through the nose of the EDK, I sold the pen with less than 30 minutes worth of use on it The P8126 refill just isn't for me - it's too wet - and, if I'm going to use a Parker-style refill, there are thinner, better designed pens that I would use. I sold it for what I paid on KS for it.

10. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

Actually, I just ran afoul of this two days after I posted this. I hadn't realized that the Parker G2 was different than the Pilot G2. To tide me over until my Retrakt arrives (seriously, five business days shipping?? Hey, Amazon called, they're laughing..) I procured a Pilot G2 refill to use in my Maxmadco. I was looking forward to it since writing with the original Parker G2 that came with it was so nice until it spilled gummy adhesive all over the pen's bolt.

Imagine my disappointment when the refill I got was not only obviously too long for the pen, but wouldn't even fit inside of it.

So, apologies for my obvious ignorance regarding multiple G2 sizes. Yes, I could say that labeling two incompatible refills G2 while having pen makers refer to G2 as a size standard is confusing, but I also could have read a little deeper before shooting my keyboard off.

Last edited by MichiganMan, Feb 4, 2017
    #10 MichiganMan, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  11. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

How did you do it?

12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

No worries, man, you're not the first to get confused by this. If Jim would only make a version of the Maxmadco pen that's just the tiniest bit fatter inside to accommodate the G2 size refill, I would happily cut it down in length to fit (like I do with the Pilot Juice refill in my Tactile Turn Slider pen). I'm betting that version of the Maxmadco pen would sell like gangbusters, but it would require completely new specs, so I doubt he would do it. He seems to have his hands full just keeping up with the ones he sells now. Heck, if he would, I could start a side business selling modified, cut-down G2 refills that would drop right in and get rich!

You're not the first to have trouble with the Parker-branded gel refills, their quality control must be awful. I didn't have a problem with the goop leaking out the top, I bought a two pack and both of them leaked all the blue gel out near the tip and ruined two different shirts. Never again. I TRY to love other Parker-style refills, but I keep going back to my sweet sweet Pilot Juice gel mistress.

MichiganMan likes this.
  13. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

He didn't. He mistook the Parker-style known as the G2 for a Pilot G2. Man, oh man, if I could make a Pilot G2 fit in my Maxmadco though.... <wipes drool from the corner of my mouth>

14. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have an aluminum Retrakt. I love it.
    I also have an Everyman retract that takes the Pilot G2.
    Also an aluminum bolt action pen that takes G2.

My feelings are that if the Pilot G2 refill is what you want to use you should get a Retrakt and live happily ever after.

15. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    How do you like uni-ball 207/307 refills? Those can be modded to fit Maxmadco easily.

16. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I haven't really given Uniballs a chance. Shall have to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

17. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Okay, I give... how? I bought a pack of 207s that were blue-black, blue-purple, blue-brown, etc. I took one of those refills and tried to cut it a tiny bit at a time to work in the Maxmadco, but, by the time I got the refill short enough so that the bolt would deploy, the tip wouldn't come out at all.

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have found some GREAT writing pens. But Orange, Purple and Blue. Nothing I've tried beats G2 .7mm for black.

I don't think a new G2 could be cut down enough. But I have several pens that are tough and fit a G2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

19. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

The key is to trim down the neck area (circled in red in the pic) as much as possible. Sandpaper will do a better job than a knife.