1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Karas Kustoms pens review

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by usk15, Jan 10, 2017.

1. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, good to know, thanks! Now I need to find out is he's shipping internationally, since I'm in UK.

2. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I have become partial to bolt pens, since the clickers stick up too far out of my shirt pocket or accidentally deploy in my pants pocket. The Maxmadco bolt pens are top notch. I have one in black aluminum and one in titanium. The black aluminum one is really light if you like a lightweight pen (and I mean really light), but it's almost so light that it feels like it gets away from me when I write. The titanium Maxmadco is fantastic and one of my favorites, with great weight and balance. The only drawback to the Maxmadco pens is that they only take Parker-style refills, and I haven't found a Parker-style that I really love. Everyone goes crazy for the Fellhoelter TiBolt pens, and, while I own a black DLC coated one, I hardly ever use it. For me it's too big and bulky - too much in the pocket (both shirt or pants). As big as the TiBolt is, it only takes a Parker-style refill, and, if I'm going to have to use that refill, I'll just use a smaller, sleeker Maxmadco.

Will at Tactile Turn has the new Slider & Glider bolt pens, and I think they're the best. These pens are a completely new design, and, while there was some quality control issues on the early pens that came out, I think Will has all the kinks worked out now. The Glider is the longer of the two and is designed for the G2 refill. I have a titanium Glider, and, while I like it, the Slider is a little shorter and works better for me. The best part is that, even though the Slider is shorter, it will still take the a Pilot G2 refill if I cut a little off the back. I have 3 Sliders that I rotate and can't decide which is my favorite:
    1.) A brass Slider that I got on sale. It's my first copper pen, and, while I love the weight, the patina drives my OCD crazy. I want it to stay pristine shiny brass, but it's just not going to be.
    2.) A black DLC coated titanium Slider. It just came in a couple of weeks ago, and it's dang near my perfect perfect. The coating looks fantastic, and it's got a nice weight to it.
    3.) My current EDC, a stainless steel Slider... but with no grooves. Will's signature is his machined grooves for grip that he includes on all of his pens. Just out of curiosity I emailed him and asked him if I could get a smooth, grooveless Slider, and he responded that he had some in stainless, so I got one. I like the weight of the stainless steel, and I think I like the smooth pen, but I've only had it a couple of days, so time will tell.

Hope this helps you.

Gary Gross and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  3. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

Certainly does! Thanks a lot for the information!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Pics of the smooth Slider ?

Will certainly checked off a lot our pen criteria with the Slider.

5. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Sure! Here is my complete arsenal of Sliders (left to right): Brass, Stainless Steel Grooveless, and DLC coated Titanium from the original Kickstarter.
    [​IMG]

And here is a close-up of the nose of the grooveless stainless and the DLC coated titanium. If you look closely you can see the grooves on the black, but not on the silver.
    [​IMG]

CANNIBALdinner. likes this.
  6. CANNIBALdinner.

Beautiful! I think I'm sold on a Slider. Now just trying to decide between stainless or titanium...

7. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

If you like a heavy pen, go for the stainless, it's 2 oz.. The titanium is the lighter weight, coming in at 1.2 oz, so 60% lighter.

CANNIBALdinner. likes this.
  8. CANNIBALdinner.

I know titanium has a bad habit of getting marked up easily. Do you see that as a problem with yours?

9. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I haven't had any problem with my titanium getting marked up, but I try to take really good care of my pens. It's either in my shirt pocket (about 2/3rds of the time), or in a leather pen case in my pocket (about 1/3rd of the time when I don't have a pocket on my shirt). On the regular titanium/stainless, I think the grooves will help keep it from getting marked up. On my grooveless stainless steel, I can see it getting it marked up if I'm not really careful with it. The DLC coating on the black titanium is supposed to be really tough and protect it from getting knicked up. If you want titanium and can afford it, I would definitely recommend springing for the DLC coated.

10. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

Update

I have bought a green Karas Pen the Bolt V2 with Parker set-up. The initial Bolt and Bolt V2 looks the same, but there are some changes. First the guys form Karas pen redesigned the internal body to accommodate more refills, from Parker to Pilot G2. Also they have moved the bolt action mechanism on the far back of the pen to allow different style refills to fit into their pen; for that job now the pen is using a screwed spacer (to avoid any moving parts). Another major improvement is the O-ring between the upper and lower body parts to stay together when are screwed. At the last is the J-slot redesigned for easier movement.

When I purchase the pen I should opt for the conversion kit for a fiver, but I didn't. Anyway because of the distance between Karas pens and me, it didn't worth to reorder just the conversion kit, so I have emailed the company and they replied that a mini hex/Allen key of 3/46" or 1.3mm will work.

So far I have tried Schimdt EF9000, Pentel Energel, Uniball Jetstream and Fisher Space refills, all working fine.

The Bolt V2 become my favorite pens form all Karas pens I have now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inner Prop, Tesla and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I just cant get over the plunger knock thing on the Bolt which, to me, only adds length to the pen..I prefer a shorter pen.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

+1 on the plunger making the pen unnecessarily longer. Karas products seem to be well made, but not necessarily well thought out from a design standpoint. I'm not a fan of pens that the cap won't post on, either...like some of their other designs.

#32 Tesla, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  13. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

In my opinion the plunger, which is only half inch longer, is the main attraction of the pen.This way the pen get rid of the big bolt bulgy screw/whatever that is annoying in the shirt pocket.
    For a shorter pen try new EDK V2 from Karas Pens, only downside being limited refills to Parker Style and Schmidt P8126 capless rollerball.

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I suspect that the Karas design is somewhat polarizing...people either love it or hate it. As to the V2 version of the EDK, I applaud them for trying to update the pen, but I still find it clunky and the clicker mechanism unnecessarily long. I much prefer the Tactile Turn Slider...better design & finish and shorter/less clunky...I don't find the bolt big or annoying, but YMMV. As far as refills, I love the Schmidt 8126/8127 refills, anyway, and I don't find the Parker sized refills a limitation in any pen, since good ink is available in Parker type refills now.

usk15 likes this.
  15. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I tried the v1 EDK pen and did not care for the 8127 refill. I found 2 things I didn't like about the v1 EDK anyway;

a.) The groove/grip rings while they look nice cut into my hand and made writing uncomfortable.
    b.) Replacing the 8126 refill with an Easyflow refill the tip of the refill was much to close to the tip opening when retracted. This of course could be solved by trimming top of the refill but it was not extended too much as I recall. The pen seems designed specifically for the 8126 refill in its precision.

16. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

I didn't like the rollerball refill too, my EDK V1 works with EF9000 blue; but I'm using the pen mostly for shopping, going in town at post or tax office. is going perfect in jeans/shorts pockets.

17. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

They are having a clearance sale on the K style rollerball and fountain. I ordered a copper fountain pen. I hope I didn’t make a mistake.

MichiganMan likes this.
  18. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

I don't have yet a fountain pen made by Karas, but I'm sure the pen it's well made. On the down side, I think copper is kind of heavy for a fountain pen. Share your thoughts after using you pen.

19. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

I like heavy pens. Once I get it I’ll report back. Thx!

MichiganMan likes this.
  20. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised I hadn't commented on this thread before. I EDC my Bolt with a Pentel Energel .05mm refill. I had to swap out the spring from an Energel body to the Bolt because the one it came with stuck too much. It is long in the pocket but fits nicely in the hand.

I have an aluminum Ink and it is heavy. Again, nice in the hand, but pockets don't like it.

I have to use a cartridge with my Ink because of the way the nib sits in the grip. It's sort of down in the grip and there is a pretty big gap so that when I dip it to fill a converter the gap fills with ink.

I do love the look and I really think pens that are meant to last generations should be made of metal rather than plastic.