1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kakadu Oilskin Vest

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Satanta, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

Being a photographer survivalist and having some health issues I tend to carry a LOT of stuff as 'EDC' from batteries to filters to firestarting gear and transplant meds. Add in my cigars, CCW business cards and other items and it becomes more than one can possibly carry on a belt and in the pockets comfortable.

I tried a number of military and tactical vests over the years with some success as well as limitations.

I try not to be noticed as a general rule. The more people notice you and remember you the more chances you are going to become a target by criminals or an object of interest by the law.

A few years ago I got a good deal on an Australian Kakadu vest and have never looked back.

Plenty of pockets from standard cargo and stretchable cargo pockets to mid-sized and small pockets plus an inner zippered one I keep my meds and one of the wifes inhalers in at all times.

Looks good tho it is hot in hot, humid weather [[you get used to it.]], it does not scream 'military wanna-bee to everyone who sees you so does not attract attention like a Molle vest or Tac vest would.

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

This is your second post on EDCF and it is a glowing review of a product. I hope you are just excited about a product that has worked well for you, but sometimes these types of posts are actually done by the company that makes the product. I hope you are not associated with Kakadu.

I also hope you hang around for a while and tell us more about yourself. Since you're a photographer, maybe you can post some pictures. We love pictures, here.

3. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

:) One of the reasons I did not post any links to where I got it about 7 years ago was that exact concern. I was going to post an image of my vest with my EDC belt-I'll get into my belt on a different thread and what is on it as well but I don't have permissions with posting attachments yet [[I assume it is a post count setting on this board-my board req's about 150 before folks can post images and so on so it is understandable.]]

One can definitely see the ageing in the vest and the fading on the back-I really need to get whatever is used to re-oil the thing along with my duster but keep missremembering.

I would post a link to my photo site where one can read and view everything they ever wanted to know about me and my travels and the only things for sale are te images but, even tho it is less than 10% of the site, people tend to get focused and some offended on the nudity and ignore the rest so I tend to be very careful about my personal site links [[no adds either so seriously I'm not selling anything but a thought/opinion and that price is 'free'.]]

But yeah-I *really* like my vest. It has taken me into the mountains of Pennsylvania, the deserts of Arizona, the Redwoods and broken coasts of Oregon and all over Texas and places between.

My other Tac/.Mil vests would be in ribbons with broken zippers and such by now. :D

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Santana,

I'm glad you didn't take offense and thank you for explaining yourself. We frequently get schill posters on this website. If you just really love a product that's fine.

Here is a link to the forum rules. They are pretty simple - there are only 10 of them. According to rules 2 & 3, it looks like you better not link to your personal website, since you have stated that it contains nudity.

I believe that you can currently post pictures. You need to have a picture hosting service such as Photobucket. I think you can use your own website, but not someone else's, as that would be hotlinking.

To actually post the picture, hover over the buttons above the post input box and one of them will say "Insert Image". The button sort of has a picture of a tree, I think, but it's not real clear. Click that button and paste the image location.

5. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

jag-engr, Yeah I kind of figure that as far as my site. ;) I can link from my site eventually to host the pics but for the moment I am busy getting ready in case that hurricane blows thru plus I have two kinds of turkey broth/soup cooking along with turkey jerky and managed to mis-angle the clamp on my lower radiator hose so it still leaks after three hours replacing it this morning. I guess if someone thinks it sounds interesting they will do like I do and search the heck out of it.

It's how I found my new [[yet to order]] EDC fixed blade thru this forum and how I drove my wife nuts researching flashlights last month [[I'm vision-impaired so it takes some effort to find the 'right' lighting to get me into and out of caves and old houses or mineshafts.]]

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Misremembering. That's a great word for being middle aged.

7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Oilskin tends to wear extremely well. The few pieces I have show a bit of dirt but keep wearing year after year. The recommendation I got for maintaining them, which seems to work well, is to wash in baking soda rather than detergent, the re-coat with oilskin treatment purchased at somewhere like Cabella's or Sportsmans Warehouse. The kind of places that sell oilskin products will likely also have the goo to smear them with.

In a pinch, Linseed oil from any hardware store is the historic stuff to use when modern synthetic polymers aren't available. :)

I've never tried or asked but I'd think a good dry cleaner would be able to handle oilskin too.

8. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

Linseed? I need to look into that because it would be a lot less expensive.

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

If all else fails you can order a tin of the reproofer from DrizaBone in Australia.
    I have 2 DrizaBone coats, and they are great, a bit heavy to wear, but if you are going out in the rain, you will be dry all day.
    Mine are both around 5 or 6 years old, have been worn every winter, and are still in good condition (they do need reproofing though)

10. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I have one of their vests. Same one. I find it to be too oily. I wish I knew of a way to remove the oil/wax cause it's stained shirts I own.

11. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

echo63, my duster is from Outback Trading Co. I actually bought it off Ebay about ten years ago and it has gone all over the U.S. with me but yeah, a bit heavy for EDW especially in Texas or here in N.C.

12. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

Maybe blot or rub with a towel? I never noticed mine doing that but then again I am usually pretty sweaty after any sort of photoshoots or digging thru old houses and it's been 'dry' for some time-I'm almost afraid of ruining it.

13. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I've tried blotting it and rubbing it down with a wet towel. I'm tempted to take it to a commercial laundromat and wash it. I can do without the oil/wax in it. If it was more "worn" and soft I'd wear it more often.

14. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

I really never had mine stain my clothes and the seats in my Jeep are a cloth that is likely sythetic so they can be wiped off.

Using a wet cloth would not work-remember, it is waterproof.

Honest thought is to wear it a lot with old T-shirts or work shirts you don't care if they get grungy...one good Summer of going out in the heat and a few rainstorms will break it in and the excess oil should go away.

Like I mentioned-mine is about 7 years old. Really nice but it is dried out so now needs to be re-oiled.

15. Iolaus

Iolaus Loaded Pockets

Time and wear. I had a problem like that with an oilskin jacket, but I guess the cloth continued to soak it up, because after a few wearings, it wasn't nearly as oily.

Ain't that the truth!!! I have one of their dusters that only sees the light of day when I go to Oregon in the winter. SoCal rains don't last long, or I'm not going to be out in them long enough for me to bother wearing one down here.

16. RobME

RobME Loaded Pockets

Dry Cleaning is an excellent way to destroy the waxed-finish properties of oilskin. Want to keep it waterproof? No detergent!!! NO dry-cleaning!!! Too much oil/wax on the fabric? Give it a hot shower... plain water - No soap. -Rob