1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

justin3's EDC Sitka

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by justin3, Mar 13, 2010.

1. justin3

justin3 Loaded Pockets

My Sitka goes with me just about everywhere. My primary use is back and forth to work, and regular short hikes and day hikes/trips. This is the basic loadout, and depending on the destination, I add or remove things to the main compartment, such as food for day hikes, a hat if it's sunny, a fleece if it's cold out, or discs for disc golfing.

1 - The pack closed up and ready to go. Stainless water bottle in pouch

[​IMG]

2 - My new Gerber LMF II, courtesy of Blackheart

[​IMG]

3 - The top pouch opened

[​IMG]

Contents -
    Pepper spray
    Inova X1
    Xikar Plunge Torch
    Sog Powerlock Contractors Edition

4 - The front pouch contents

[​IMG]

Contents -
    Tide Pen
    Sharpie
    Cross aluminum pen

5 - The front zip compartment opened

[​IMG]

Contents -
    Coleman Max Cree 2aa light
    Burts Beeswax
    Dorcy LED keychain light

6 - Main compartment opened

[​IMG]

7 - Main compartment back side contents

[​IMG]

Contents -
    Floppy Frisbee
    Lifegear 210 lumens 2c light
    Columbia zip up pouch containing nail clippers, pill fob, lip balm, bic lighter, spare memory card containing routable road navigation data for my gps, and blue duct tape wrapped around a business card
    ESV bible
    Spare battery carriers containing 8aa's

8 - Main compartment front half contents

[​IMG]

Contents -
    Glasses case with lens cloth and 4 disposable contacts
    Garmin Etrex Venture CX with Topo maps for about a 700 mile radius of my location
    2 spare cr2 batteries for my pocket EDC light
    zip ties
    Canon SD 790 IS in neoprene case
    Iphone sleeve with usb cable/wall charger.

9 - Hydration/CCW compartment

[​IMG]

Contents -
    Glock 17 3rd gen with Night Sights, loaded with 17+1 Hornady Critical Defense 9mm.
    Spare Mag with 17 rounds FMJ(just in case I get an opportunity to do some plinking)
    Maxpedition hook and loop modular holster
    Maxpedition hook and loop 2x mag pouch(I could carry another mag loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, but don't to cut down on weight)

10 - Pack standing up

[​IMG]

Only thing missing is my small FAK, which is sitting somewhere around the house at the moment

2. barents67

barents67 Empty Pockets

nice bag and equipment, gerber knife looks great on the side

3. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

really like the looks of that bag. Good defense loadout too.

4. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Really nice setup. I really like the khaki foliage color. So much so that I special ordered one in that color but for a Falcon II which I hope to get next week.

As for the Sitka, how much weight do you estimate your basic loadout is and with the single strap is it comfortable for extended carry or just for short trips such as from parking lot to a nearby building for example?

5. justin3

justin3 Loaded Pockets

I actually just weighed it. Full loadout as pictured is 12.4 lbs. It's pretty comfortable for a mile or so as it is. The secondary stabilizer strap that attaches from the bottom of the pack to the main strap makes a HUGE difference, and I can carry it all day like that with no discomfort.

If I'm loading up a bunch of extra stuff for a big hike, I'll take the spare magazine out, as it probably weighs nearly 1 lb by itself. Not a huge difference, but when I've got lunch, a poncho, and a spare water bottle, that pound can make a difference over a 10 mile hike.

The sitka is WAY more comfortable than my Jumbo S-type, even with a load up to about 15 lbs. Haven't really tried anything heavier than that, I don't imagine it would be horrible with more weight, but I'd probably prefer something with 2 straps.

6. Double_Tap

Double_Tap Loaded Pockets

Great loadout. Now that I've received my Malaga, I am wondering if I shouldn't have ordered the Sitka and used it to as a work bag. Will a 14.1 x 11 inch laptop fit in that main compartment?

7. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

You commute to work with a large fixed blade on your pack? =0

8. justin3

justin3 Loaded Pockets

Thanks.

It won't fit a 15" laptop, my Vaio's dimensions are roughly the same as what you posted, and you couldn't even "make it fit".

It does fit a 13" just fine, just not a lot of padding there.

It also does really great with an 11" notebook in a neoprene sleeve.

9. justin3

justin3 Loaded Pockets

Yep. To be a little more clear I usually drive to work, though I will ride a bike on occasion. No bus or subway.

I live in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Lots of people carry knives(not many medium-large fixed blades, but it's not unheard of). I've even carried this downtown, but for events with a large crowd, such as the St. Patty's parade, I would leave the knife at home or in the car.

I spend enough time hiking - at least 3 days a week when it's not winter - that such a tool will get used pretty regularly. Only things in my pack that might get more use would be a flashlight, bible, or the camera, and of course the water bottle.

10. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I love your set up but I wish that bag had two straps!

I have tried and failed to use a Jumbo for the same reason - need to balance the load evenly due to having rheumatism. It's a :censored: but it means I buy and sell a few bags during the search which is good fun really :)

11. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

Great post and pics! I have alway been into more traditional messenger bags but your post has me thinking I might actually like the maxped Sitka even more. Thanks!

12. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

Good looking EDC! I've got a Lunada on the way, and I envy you for being able to keep a fixed blade on the bag. In CA one is only allowed to have it displayed prominently from the waist.

13. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

Nice set up! I just ordered my Sitka in OD Green, the night before last! I was planning on fixing a blade to the side of my pack as well.