1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just when you thought it was under control...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by batteryguru, Mar 2, 2013.

1. batteryguru

batteryguru Loaded Pockets

I haven't bought any new lights in a long time. I've been able to tell myself I have all of my bases covered and then some, and nothing had come out that I HAD to have. Then, I bought four SolarForce P1s and modules on Tuesday. Wednesday, a new Crimson Trace Rail Master light for my SR9c, and yesterday, a D25c clicky in Titanium. Hopefully this will do it for awhile.

Anyone else pick up anything cool this week?

2. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I actually bought the same light as your last one yesterday [​IMG]

I thought I was done after the Quantum DD myself, but apparently not :rolleyes:

I was originally looking at the AA version, but I couldn't find one in Europe with a XM-L Neutral White LED & eventually decided I'd rather compromise in width than tint & ordered the CR123A version.

With a little luck it'll arrive today, can't wait to get a feel for it.

3. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

I just got the Eagle AA clicky

batteryguru likes this.
  4. Sinus

Sinus Loaded Pockets

Any good reason for you to buy 4(!) P1s, do you need a flashlight with plastic host ?
    Or is it just a collector thing, one of every colour ? :p

batteryguru likes this.
  5. Edamhcneb
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edamhcneb Loaded Pockets

Photos? :)

AK Adventurer likes this.
  6. batteryguru

At least one is for a friend. Another is to stash in my car; the same reason that the plastic host is worse for the emitter should work to my advantage in regard to conducting ambient temperature into my hand. I know that I could just wrap one of my existing lights to get the same effect, but any reason to justify a new light. I just think they look cool, and I have a suspicion that the 'brown' P1 will match a firearms project I have going. Beyond that, four just seemed like a good, round number.

As of right now, the only one I have in my posession is the D25c. I posted this terrible cell pic in another thread:
    [​IMG]

7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I think I'm heading to where you've just been - a long buying hiatus.

The more lights I buy, the narrower I find my flashlight preferences are becoming. I've been trying most everything in this particular niche (efficient/AA/14500/sub-lumen), and interestingly have ended up nearly where I started (just different emitter/tint). Took a while to find my discontinued baby, but got lucky last week and now I think I'm done - there's nothing else in the market or pipeline that remotely interests me anymore.

Famous last words though, eh? ;-).

batteryguru likes this.
  8. batteryguru

I'm sure you'll love it. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish of mine, and the user interface makes it a fantastic night stand light for me. This is the first light I've bought in years that is a contender for pocket space with my EagleTac pn20a2.

Take2 likes this.
  9. Here Comes The BOOM

I got it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the UI isn't perfect (I wish they left the low mode in there too instead of going directly from moonglow to medium when in the programmable moonglow mode, but that's pretty much my only complaint) I'm digging everything else so far. I got the memory & moonglow mode turned off now & keep it with the head loose. I think I'll leave it on these setting for a while.
    It feels much smaller & lighter then I expected it too & I don't have any regrets going for the slightly wider CR123A version instead of the longer but thinner AA. Tint seems great. Much warmer & richer colors then with my Quantum DD, without being noticably yellowish.

It's definitely a keeper. I just hope it gets dark soon :)

Last edited by Take2, Mar 2, 2013
  10. batteryguru

I have mine on moonglow as well, and now that you mention it, the low would be a nice step between moonglow and medium.

11. Here Comes The BOOM

You must've misread my post :)

I chose the low mode over the moonglow mode & turned moonglow off on mine. I reckon I'll use the low mode more often then the moonglow mode so I'm gonna go & try out these settings first as my standard. I do wish I could still somehow access the moonglow mode easily too though. A programmable option with the head tightened to accomplish this perhaps? I don't really need the turbo mode myself anyway.

But perhaps I shouldn't give imperfections like that too much thought. I imagine that is how flashlight-collectors/fanatics are born, & I'm trying really hard not to become one of those myself! :frantic:

12. batteryguru

I did, indeed. This is actually my first light with a moonglow or sub-lumen mode (not sure what the actual output of this light is in "moonglow"). I'm still trying to decide how useful it is to me. I used it a bit last night to navigate around, and it did its job. Got up to pour myself a glass of water without shocking my eyes, and perhaps more importantly, without disturbing my girlfriend. Truth be told, I could do it without light at all, but my balance is seriously compromised without visual input I'm told likely due to a few nasty concussions that I've had.

Take2 likes this.
  13. maverickmonk

maverickmonk Loaded Pockets

I've got a D25C Ti clicky on the way too, hoping to replace my solarforce L2m for pocket carry

Take2 likes this.
  14. Here Comes The BOOM

Perhaps we should turn this in to a D25C Ti clicky thread instead :rofl:

My Quantum goes really low too (lower than the D25 on moonglow) & it is a nice option to have occasionally. But I often find a that low a light-strength unusable for most tasks I do that require a flashlight. But as always, your experience may differ.

The D25C produces 0,9 lumen in moonglow mode. 4 in low & medium is somewhere around 40 to 60 I believe, I forgot the exact number & it also differs a bit weather or not you have moonglow mode turned on or off.

edit: from Eagletac's website:

• Four brightness levels
      • XM-L2 U2
        • Led lumen: 453/296/33/1
        • ANSI FL-1 lumen: 317/210/24/0.5
      • XP-G2 R5
        • Led lumen: 381/251/35/1
        • ANSI FL-1 lumen: 242/158/23/0.5
      • XP-G R4 and XM-L2 T6 neutral white LED has approximately 7% less output lumen than their cool white counterpart LED.
      • With moon-mode setting disabled, lowest output will increase by about 6 times, to 4 lumen, and the second lowest output will double, to around 65 lumen

15. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

i was just looking at the newer aa selections

16. maverickmonk

maverickmonk Loaded Pockets

I've noticed that half of us with new purchases are waiting on a little shiney package from eagletac, hahah

Batteryguru: nice tat!

batteryguru likes this.
  17. Koala3

Koala3 Loaded Pockets

I also just got a D25C, not the Ti but it was on sale with a neutral tint on illuminationgear so I needed it.
    Can't argue with its price:eek:utput:form factor.

Take2 likes this.
  18. batteryguru

Thanks. Despite the eye rolling I've got from the guys who work for me, I haven't regretted that one for a second.

maverickmonk likes this.
  19. Here Comes The BOOM

When I first saw it on the tiny avatar photo I thought they were string-marks from a novice archer :bounce:

But they were on the wrong part of your arm for that, & the spread was a bit to nice & equal as well, haha.

But, that's not why I'm here again unfortunately.

The regular low mode was way to bright when I woke in the middle of the night (something I do often as an insomniac), so I'm back in moonglow mode again & missing my low :banghead:

I'm very tempted to return it & go for the Olight S10 instead now, but that one has the low & medium so far spread out plus there's a chance I might not like the tint & need to upgrade the LED to fix that *sigh*

I'm gonna do some more research, but this one might not be a keeper after all in spite of my initial enthusiasm :(

20. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Like I posted elsewhere, quitting is easy! I've done it myself. Several times. ;)

reppans and r-ice like this.