1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just starting and on a budget.

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Staubachkid, May 2, 2015.

1. Staubachkid

Staubachkid Loaded Pockets

Howdy y'all! I am just starting to get into the survival gear and tactical gear. I have trained with our law enforcement for a long time but have done so because it is a requirement. Well I can't help but want to learn more about survival and defense tactics with all that's going on in today's world. Only thing is I am in school and money is an issue. If someone can help me find some budget gear or even common household items that may help. DIY projects etc. Thanks and God bless.

Gallows, S_Serpent, Unagi42 and 2 others like this.
  2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Dave Canterbury is one of the survival gurus out there and has done a lot of videos on bushcraft and prepping on a budget. Also Alfieaesthetics put together a cheap BOB also on youtube. These guys and others like them might give you a good starting point :)

My advice is base it on what you need, what you reach for every day, a light a knife, a pen and paper. Don't try to buy and carry everything, be selective in what you NEED not WANT ;)

Gallows, S_Serpent, Nick4305 and 6 others like this.
  3. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

I only recently started using it seriously, but the BST section here often has some pretty good deals on quality gear. Also, if you're on a budget, carrying only what you really need is the way to go.

4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I "started" with a 20$ a week budget. I'd either spend it or let it 'roll over' so I could buy bigger/better gear the next week.

This let me build my gear in a timely manner, without breaking the bank. It also 'limited' my spending. I'd buy used items on BST (or bay) and I'd figure out if I actually carried/used said items. This allowed me not to waste countless dollars by buying something new and going "meh", then selling it for way less. I'll let someone else pay that premium.

Cheeser and Aero give great advice. Get yourself a nice OHO flipper, a small (5$) cheap pry bar, a decent pen, some bics, maybe a used Climber/Huntsman from the bay or a LM Sidekick/wingman. Fenix and Streamlight offer some really nice, 20-25$ torches that will serve most EDC/normal purposes just fine.

Doesn't have to be fancy! just needs to be present and user friendly.

Gallows, No Agenda, S_Serpent and 4 others like this.
  5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Lots of good suggestions already from the above postings. Another idea is to review the 'essentials' needed for survival and 1) Obtain them, and 2) Learn how to use them. There are several variations of the survival essentials: some lists have 10, 12, or more. Everyone from the Boy Scouts to Wikipedia has 'weighed in' on the topic. But, if you read over them you'll find some common themes (for example, everyone recommends having equipment -- a lighter, matches, etc. -- to start a fire as well as how to actually build one). Those common themes are the basics you need to acquire and build on.

As for defensive tactics you actually have an advantage being in school since there should be some type of martial arts club or group associated with your school. If not, check your area's parks and rec website. Martial arts training, even really practically oriented ones such as Krav Maga or Hapkido, are not actual street fighting, but they are as close as you can come to it.

As for DIY: there's lots of great ideas, techniques, plans, etc., on the online resources such as Instructables or even YouTube. Decide what project you're interested in doing and there's sure to be an online resource.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that online there are even urban versions of the essentials lists.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, May 3, 2015
    Gallows, S_Serpent, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here you go:

Pen: Fisher Space Pen $15-20
    Light: Streamlight Microstream $16
    Knife: Kershaw Cryo $30, Ontario Rat 2 $30
    Multi tool: Leatherman Squirt PS4 $25, Leatherman Wingman $28

Gallows, S_Serpent, ManVsLawn and 4 others like this.
  7. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

Don't forget the best tool you have, or will ever have, is knowledge.

And it's free.

Gallows, S_Serpent, ManVsLawn and 3 others like this.
  8. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Eric Mears

Other members already offered great advice on the survival aspect of your question. As far as defense tactics go, can you elaborate on that? Are you referring defense tactics/tools when you are actually (or eventually will be) on a call or just for your own personal self-defense when off duty?

Gallows, S_Serpent, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Are there any things in particular you are wanting items to do?

The site here covers a huge area - from survivalist bug out bags, minimalist daily carry and near enough every situation and need in between - so I would always recommend taking a step back and having a think, decide what you want to do - whether you like the idea of a slightly more prepared and practical daily carry, whether you are looking into disaster/get home kits, home preparation and so on, then have a think over what sort of items would be useful in the situation you see yourself in - having a nice heavy crowbar and a big supply of food and water makes sense if you are preparing to hunker down in a storm, not so much use for someone sat in the office with a few essentials (and obviously the small SAK of the hypothetical office dweller won't really do much to move downed tree's post hurricane...).

Once you have thought it through a bit more come back to us here and everyone will be able to put in some more relevant and practical advice for you.

10. Staubachkid

Thanks guys! I have been crazy busy with the fire department! I will read all of these suggestions and watch these videos tonight. God Bless!

Gallows, S_Serpent and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friend,

If I might offer a thought or two.

I examine this sort of thing from a multifaceted approach. I have different "levels" of what I carry at any one time.

On my person there will always be two knives (one small Swiss Army and a defensive blade), my keys, cell phone, wallet, and smallish light source. And often a handgun.

By my desk is my things-went-bad-I-have-to-get-home bag, often referred to on forums as a "Bag of Evil" (coined by Mercop, IIRC). This isn't a "survival" bag per se, at least not in the way one might normally think of one. It is more of a creature comfort bag I keep handy with the knowledge that things often go bad at inconvenient times. The fall of Western civilization is far less likely than finding yourself at the hospital emergency room with a loved one with no notice, stuck by the side of the road with with unexpected engine problems, or crashing at a friend's house after imbibing one too many. It contains things such as a small first aid kit (boo-boo kit, actually - band aids, headache meds, prescription meds, etc.), HBA items (deodorant, contact case and solution, spare contacts, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.), food/drinks (small bottle of water, drink mix packets, peanuts, tea bags, etc.), bottle of 5-hour energy (or caffeine pills), cell phone charger, a pair of well-used leather work gloves, headphones, pen/pencil/Sharpie and notepad, a decent fixed blade knife, some cash/change and a Bic lighter (this list obviously isn't exhaustive - your needs may vary). All of this fits into a small backpack (important for keeping both hands free). Sure, I wouldn't want to be dropped in the middle of the jungle or forest with only this, but I would make do if I had to, and it is far more likely that I'll unexpectedly be in a position where survival will be less a concern than either inconvenience or boredom.

I have an additional bag I keep in my vehicle that has my more "survival-oriented" stuff - larger knife, firestarters, water purification system, etc. I also stash extreme cold weather/hot weather clothes in the vehicle as well. A good pair of hiking boots are a nice addition to the vehicle bag, as well as a better first aid kit and a few basic hand tools.

A few points: nothing I have looks "tacticool", and in fact was selected to be very much the opposite. I prefer bags with lighter interiors anyway, as looking for an item in the depths of a black bag can be trying at best. I won't use a laptop bag either, as those often scream "I have an expensive laptop in here - steal me!". I look for bags that a middle-school student would carry - no Disney princesses, but nothing that looks like a Maxped or similar either. In your case you might want the tactical look, and that's perfectly fine - it just isn't me, as that look stands out really badly where I live. On the flip side, rural WV I could get by with lots of camouflage were I so inclined (I'm not), so it's all in what makes you blend in with the local scene. I could dress fully in camo and just look like any other hunter and would be pretty much ignored - in larger areas a gray or dark blue hoodie and jeans is probably a less conspicuous look. Any and all of this is available at the local Goodwill and thrift shops for pennies on the dollar - many hunters in particular are a fickle bunch and are always upgrading to newer camouflage as newer patterns emerge, so their cast-offs are cheap and plentiful.

Now, on to the more important thing - cost. The local Goodwill is frequently my first stop when I need something. Another local thrift shop is willing to even keep a look out for me for particular items. Yard sales can be gold mines. In some cases you do have to do your homework - having access to a cell phone with internet/data capability can be a great help here to verify that particular items are going to work for you and are priced right. Yard sales in particular are a great place to pick up used hand tools that might need nothing more than a little maintenance (sharpening, etc.).

As an example, this past Saturday morning we ventured out for some yard sales. I managed to score a 1970 Zippo lighter that only needed a flint - $2.00, a like-new Nike winter jacket for $3.00, and a pair of new-with-tags Columbia men's Omni-Dry shorts for $1.00.

Let's look at the costs of a few things on my list in my get-home bag. Smallish boo-boo kits can generally be had from Wal-Mart for a dollar or two, or you can put them together from stuff you have lying around your house. Trial sizes of mouthwash, toothpaste and toothbrush were free with my last dental cleaning. Wal-Mart often has trial-size HBA items for about $1.00 each (deodorant, etc.), and hotels are a great source for shampoo, conditioner, etc. as well. Dollar Tree is a great source for snacks and drink mixes. Your eye care professional will almost always have trial-size bottles of solution and spare contact cases available for free if you ask, or when you get a new pair of glasses keep your old pair in your bag (yes, maybe they're not the perfect prescription, but they beat being half-blind). As for cell phone chargers, if you use one that utilizes a USB interface the chargers are easy to find at most Dollar stores (in my case I keep an interface cable for the iPhone as well as my Android phone, just in case a friend needs taken care of as well). Pens and pencils are often free at hotels also, as well as stationery (as with shampoo/soap/etc., they fully expect these items to be taken from the room with you when you leave, and in fact encourage it). The fixed blade knife is a carbon-steel Mora - memory serving these run about ~$13.00 or so, real-world. The bag itself was a bigger and admittedly unnecessary investment - it is a nice Keen bag that I probably paid $30 or so for, but a $2.59 Goodwill backpack would work equally well, especially if it will spend a lot of time stashed in the vehicle anyway.

None of this needs to be prohibitively expensive - it depends on what you want out of your kit. Don't fall into the trap of I-have-to-have-the-latest-and-greatest - used items are often WAY cheaper and in no way inferior. If you either can't or aren't willing to invest a lot of cash, you'll just have to be smarter/wiser about what you do invest, which is often your time chasing down bargains. In my case I actually enjoy looking for items on the cheap.

Good luck!

~Kurt

Gallows, S_Serpent, Sachmo and 7 others like this.
  12. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Second hand stuff is absolutely wonderful indeed, but be wary of fake items (like knives) on the popular auction sites. Otherwise, the best of luck with sticking to your budget, as that is often harder than finding what you like and need

13. Staubachkid

You have a really good point. Maybe I will brainstorm a bit and come back. I can honestly say I really don't know what I "want" right now versus what I "need". Thanks for all the advice y'all!

14. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

S_Serpent and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. GeneralGlenn

After quickly browsing the thread mentioned above by survivorman, I decided to share my initial setup with the matching price tag.

Buck Bucklite Max medium: €16
    Victorinox spartan: €16
    Cheap nylon wallet: €3
    Pen/pencil: free
    Notebook: €1
    Light: free promotional thing
    Small FAK in an altoids tin: free if you're creative, otherwise, like €5 (band aids, ibuprofen, etc)
    Disposable lighter: free from your smoking friends.
    Handkerchief: 5 for €3

That amounts to €44 or $49 and a hand full of pennies.

I still carry most of it but the Buck has retired because I abused it (I batonned a small log and ended up messing up the lock. Had it for 3 years and worked perfectly for my needs. The victorinox is long gone, but I have about 12 different kinds to find their way into the rotation. Most of them being under €25 or $26.

Lastly something I learnt along the way: Don't get everything at once, a lot of things can be had for cheap or even free, you just have to wait until they come along. It saved me a lot of money.

Hope this helps!

Gallows, S_Serpent, JPE and 3 others like this.
  16. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

And be prepared to use cheap on what doesn't matter. A note book at .50 records the same as a $10 field notes. But leaves $9.50 to put toward a decent knife ;)

17. GeneralGlenn

Well said!

18. S_Serpent

S_Serpent Loaded Pockets

There have already been some awesome idea's mentioned here or path to follow ...

Start with your daily EDC, and you can work up towards Get home Bag, Bug out Bag ...

Some idea's can be found in my personal edc thread too:
    Here is a direct link to my EDC/Workbag and multi use items like a poncho ... (http://edcforums.com/threads/s_serpents-edc.117871/#post-1836674)

19. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friend,

As an aside (though I am admittedly a bit late to save this one), what I once read was that batoning wood with a folder is OK as a last resort - just do not engage the lock. Basically, leave the blade unlocked while you're pounding on it to protect the locking mechanism. I grant that it might not be quite as safe, but it will also save your lock from permanent damage.

Best wishes!

~Kurt

Gallows, S_Serpent and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  20. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Buy second hand stuff. You can get high quality gear for a fraction of the price. This means that you have to keep wishlist and cash on hand when some items pop up.
    That is how I work.
    [​IMG]
    Setup above has cost me 245 euros. Which is an absolute bargain.

Gallows, S_Serpent, JPE and 3 others like this.