1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just snagged a sewing machine, need ideas.

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by pullnshoot25, Feb 8, 2014.

1. pullnshoot25

pullnshoot25 Empty Pockets

So I picked up a good looking and mechanically sound Singer 15-91 at a garage sale on a total whim the other day. Not a seamster or anything but it was too good to pass up and it could lead to something fun.

Anyone have any good ideas on where to start or what would be cool to make?

T.H.Cone likes this.
  2. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

Did it come with a manual? Start with that. I started machine sewing recently. It's pretty satisfying, like putting a puzzle together. Pillow covers are a good project to start with.

3. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the new machine! I have liked to sew ever since I was a kid and helped my mom and grandmother quilt. I picked up some end of roll heavy duty dark brown canvas the other day for cheap and I am going to make a tool roll or maybe a first aid kit. The tool roll os a easy first time project. Also, there are a lot of patterns online even for tactical stuff.

LefsaBL likes this.
  4. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Hmm, there was a thread yesterday where a fellow had a custom bag made. Had some step along pix. I think the OP was from the Netherlands.

5. pullnshoot25

Great ideas, love it!

This machine came with the original manual from 1934. Total trip to have something this old that works that isn't a gun in my collection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  6. watdafact

watdafact Loaded Pockets

maybe buy some good cordura fabric and make yourself a pouch or eventually a bag for EDC. :)

7. pullnshoot25

That's what I was thinking of doing. Would love to experiment with that stuff.

8. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Google

outdoor gear sewing patterns
    DIY Tactical

Start small. Practice on flat pieces to get to understand each of your machine's controls. Then try some simple seams. Work your way up. Don't start trying to build the backpack of your dreams first off.

The best project to start on is stowage/stuff sacks. Seams are all flat. They are handy (use them to organize your car trunk or your camping gear). Use paracord for the closures. Or make a bunch of gift bags for wrapping presents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

Good tip, made me laugh though! :D
    Maybe you should get some extra needles too. If you only have one, that breaks in the middle of a late night project, that would be a downer for sure.

10. pullnshoot25

Good ideas!

I'm going to look for needles and some good thread. Found diytactical last night so I will investigate them further in short order!

11. KnoxButler

KnoxButler Loaded Pockets

This past Christmas I asked my parents (I'm a college student still living at home) for a sewing machine. I figured it would come in handy and I already had a few ideas for some small projects. But I needed a simple easy project for me to learn and get a feel for using it. I decided I would make a pen roll to protect some of my nice writing instruments when in my backpack.​
    This is my 3rd attempt at the pen roll idea and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a lot of mistakes made, even on my third attempt, but over all I think it came out quite nice and it helped me a lot with my skill level.
    I would recommend also, if you haven't already, just practice doing some straight lines on some scrap material. That simple practice helped a lot too, especial with reducing the number of times the thread got all tangled and jammed up in the fabric.

Good luck with your new machine, be sure to post some pictures of your future projects.