1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just not happy with my current setup, help?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Nim, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

So this is my current setup

[​IMG]

Laid out how it goes into my two front pockets. I generally don't put anything in my back pockets, because I sit all day. I work at a computer for the most part in the production industry. Pen and keys both clip to the sides of my pockets, and the car keys are usually on the M'c Gizmo clip that hangs off the house keys so all the keys hang in a line.

BUT, the phone is new, and much bigger than my old phone, and it's really not comfortable with all those keys and the big phone. Secondly, I used to wear jeans all day, but my current job which is also pretty new requires me to wear business slacks etc, which always seem to have smaller pockets. So I can't comfortably carry all this stuff, the biggest problem is the huge key chain, mainly due to the big car keys.

My thoughts:

1) Swap the wallet and the phone over, as in which side they are on.

2) Loose the SAK, or take the knife off my keys, or replace it with a small SAK and loose the big one.

3) loose the torch on my keys, the phone has a halfway decent light with an app that turns the camera flash on, but it's not as bright as the DD, it's not as focused, it would rely on my phone battery, and the DD is just so dam sexy :(

I do also have a bag at work, which contains a multitool, a quark torch, etc. etc.

Thoughts, my EDC is currently not making me happy, and as it turns out that stresses me out a lot.

nightowl likes this.
  2. emcdannell
    • In Omnia Paratus

emcdannell Loaded Pockets

I would:
    Ditch SAK and keychain knife and get a small SAK for your keychain. Hang the keys on the wallet pocket and leave the phone in a pocket by itself. Or you could always have 2 keychains. Put the house keys and you knife one one and the car keys and your light on the other, leave the mcgizmo on there so you can combine em when you want. I can't tell what kinda wallet that it but have you considered something a little more minimal for that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

And get a belt clip for your phone.
    I was much happier once I got the phone out of my pockets.

4. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

Wallet is a bigskinny card case, I don't think it can get any smaller.

It holds 4 cards, 2 plasters and a small emergency kit with spare pills, a needle and thread, and a flat 4 head screwdriver from a swiss card. The cards I can't get rid of and the emergency kit is pretty small. I have though about ditching, and just having the 4 cards in a clip or something, but it's pretty important.

5. emcdannell
    • In Omnia Paratus

I too have been thinking about doing this. Otterbox sells a cool set with a big thick case and a clip-in holster, I just can't decide if I'd like having it there or not... It would give me another pocket to put stuff in... Then I'd have to spend more money on more edc stuff. It would keep all those harmful cancer rays, cell phones apparently spit out, away from my junk

Sachmo likes this.
  6. emcdannell
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah then the smaller wallet plans out. Haha. But I stand by everything else.

7. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

I swapped the keys over today, and I was much more comfortable, I dropped the knife at work, and after work with jeans I was still able to carry an OD-1 in that pocket with the wallet/keys reasonably comfortably.

A best clip for the phone would solve the problem, but it would be a bit of a social statement here, and not a good one. Especially where I work.

Thanks for the input.

8. emcdannell
    • In Omnia Paratus

Glad you figured out something you like. Good luck with your continuing search for edc excellence!

9. Nodust

Nodust Empty Pockets

Does your phone have a flash that can be used as a light?

If so. Ditch the light. I don't carry a light just keep one in the truck.

10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Suggestions:

1. Get a phone carrier for your belt, as several people have already mentioned.
    2. Use a messenger back or a pack. Put all the stuff you don't want in your pockets in there. When you get to work put it within arm's reach of your desk.
    3. After a week or two determine if you had to reach into that pack for one or more items. If 'yes' then consider whether they need to go back to on body carry.
    4. Also, after a week or two determine if there are things you never take out of your pack. If 'yes' then consider whether you can A. Leave them home or B. if they're 'just in case' items (I've got a titanium whistle that is like that).

Hope this helps.

gooseman1991 likes this.
  11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My thoughts:

1. Keep the SAK and light, ditch the keyring knife.
    2. If you're required to wear business slacks, a (sports) jacket would not be out of place. I don't know what the climate is where you work, but if it's hot, you could get a thin, lightweight linen or cotton (seersucker?) one. Stash the phone and wallet in the inside pockets.
    3. If don't like the jacket idea, go with a small bag, as suggested by Cobra 6 Actual

stax and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  12. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I carry my Galaxy S3 in a pocket all alone due to its size and my slim wallet, keys, Chap Stick are in the other. My knife sits clipped to my belt or pocket depending on my attire.

13. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

Would a Skinth (SP or MilkyWay) work for you? I work in an office environment as a software engineer and it's very common to see phone cases on just about everyone here. I have a Skinth SP for my iPhone and haven't noticed a single comment or strange look yet. One coworker actually ordered one too after seeing mine.

That could at least take the phone, pen, and emergency kit out of the pockets, which should make plenty of room for everything else.

14. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

A couple thoughts:
    1. Look into a belt clip for the phone as others suggested.
    2. Can you put the pen on a shirt pocket or something?
    3. Only carry the light when you are out after dark. If you are never out after dark with work then leave it in your vehicle. I like a belt sheath for lights myself.

Good luck!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  15. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

My strategy is to migrate gear to the belt when the pockets become too full. Your phone is hogging a lot of real estate in your pockets, and getting it onto your belt via belt clip or carry pouch would help.

You could also get a pouch to carry knife, pen, and light on your belt. Or, you could get a wallet that would house your knife, pen, and light (in addition to your wallet's contents).

You could also do a keyman conversion for your keyring keys and add it to your car key (this would allow you to ditch the second keyring, and the micro spyderco).

16. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

Thanks so much for the input guys.

I do have a bag a work anyway, so I could move the big SAK in there, I do have a letterman in there anyway so I might be doubling up anyways.

No Dust, the phone does have a light sort of, but it's very very floody and has not brightness adjustment, it also relies on my phone battery so I'm not really comfortable relying on it. I only went to a light as small as the DD (from a quark) when I knew my phone could be a backup.

The Skinth is an interesting idea, I've always wanted one. But belt holstered phones etc. and a big of a social no no here I find. At least in some circles. It is tempting though.

I've ordered a slimmer phone case too, that should help.

17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Order a skinth, maybe send a picture of what you want to carry to Metro, he can guide you to which exact model you need :)! I carry all the other stuff i used to carry at the bottom of my pockets like mini prybars, two sissors, leatherman micra in a maxpedition notebook cover, it is perfect for a jacket pocket or messenger bag [​IMG]

18. Agent Berry

Agent Berry Loaded Pockets

My opinion is:
    1. Keep the SAK.
    2. Drop the Bug.
    3. Drop the DD (Maybe put it on a necklace) and replace it with a Photon.
    4. Chop up the keys and put them on a link of bicycle chain.
    5. Replace the pen with a Fisher Space Bullet Pen (with clip if that is an issue)
    6. Ditch the needle and thread. (put it in your bag)
    7. Maybe put the screwdriver on your keys.

19. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

Love the suggestions, I'm not sure I can do the bicycle chain thing, partly due to lack of tools (but buying tools is fun) but mostly because the one of the keys is to a po box so I can't cut it up :(

I have always wanted to try a space pen.