1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just got new UV light...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mechman77, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mechman77

mechman77 Empty Pockets

Just picked this up the other day. Doubt it will be an EDC but I'm sure it will go in my car and be there for when i need/want it.
    Ebay job so nothing to brag about but I think its pretty neat. Only $11 shipped to my door so I'm pretty happy for what i paid.

[img width=456 height=640]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/nebraskatrapper17/DSCF0556.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=361]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/nebraskatrapper17/DSCF0557.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=444]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/nebraskatrapper17/DSCF0562.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=468]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/nebraskatrapper17/DSCF0559.jpg[/img]

I'll post up more pics of UV lit objects.

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

A UV light is a fun thing to have.

I have a tiny little Led Lenser keychain model.

The one you have looks pretty beefy!

Dan

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Empty Pockets

Funny thing is I too just got a UV light. Walmart clearance. It is those hat/brim 3x led lights. it is supposed to be for night fishing. But at $5 how can you pass it up?

4. Jaygnar99

Jaygnar99 Empty Pockets

My only UV flashlight is a 3d mag modified with a Advancedmart retrofit kit.
    It's a freaking handfull. :idiot2:

5. DUQ

DUQ Loaded Pockets

No bathroom pics? :lolhammer: :green:

6. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

For real, where's the beamshots? ;D

That thing can probably spot a scorpion from a mile away.

7. luminous

luminous Loaded Pockets

That light looks pretty cool. My wife is interested in photography and mentioned that she might like to experiment with a UV light. The light mechman77 posted looks pretty decent, any tips for choosing a good UV light? I vaguely remember researching this in the past, but quickly got lost reading about technical stuff like wavelengths, etc.

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I think all of the cheap ones are 395nm which is mostly purple instead of UV and doesn't flourescent as well. Arc use 375nm led but not cheap, I've yet to find a decent priced one that use 375 nm led.

9. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

That's how to tell if it is a good one, it will light up flourescent things without any visible purple light.

10. Tink

Tink Loaded Pockets

I had a tiny UV light which I procured quite by accident. Then, while visiting my son who lives in Las Vegas (land of the Scorpion), I discovered the best use (IMHO) of those ultraviolet lights.

You see, scorpions come out at night to play, or to do whatever it is that scorpions do, one of which is to go inside any shoes they happen to find. It is a good habit to develop, when moving to Vegas, or living there, or even visiting there, to shake out your shoes and bang them a bit on the floor to make sure that toes do not meet scorpion when you put the shoes on. Also, if one is not wearing shoes, walking around barefooted, the possibility of stepping on a scorpion is very real. So we want to see _them_ before they see _us_. Most of them are fairly small, and the smaller the more poisonous, as well as the harder to see.

So there are the facts, except for the best fact of all -- those little devils light up when they have a UV light shone on them. Yay!