1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just got a new car

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Studley, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Studley

Studley Loaded Pockets

Made me think of stuff I should be carrying in the car that I may not be. Sound off with things you carry/things people should be carrying.

I already have:
    First aid kit
    Jumper cables
    Car jack/spare tire (use this as a reminder to check the air pressure)
    Basic tool kit (definitely need to expand, suggestions encouraged)

Things I know I need:
    Some water for myself/car
    Warm blankets
    Extra batteries (for flashlight, is it ok to store those in a hot trunk during summer?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    R

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

For the batteries use lithium not alkaline, they take the heat better and won't discharge as fast plus no leaking. Rotate the water regularly too. Good stuff there.

3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

New car, or new used? Personally in my new car I carry next to nothing as far as repair tools. Not because the car is new and unlikely to break down, but because I wouldn't know where to start to repair it lol. I have:
    the spare and jack that came with the car
    change of clothes for every member of the family
    blanket and large beach towel or 2
    small prefab FAK (I need to upgrade this I think)
    a few water bottles (removed in the winter because I don't want a mess with broken bottles)
    a mostly empty backpack with sunscreen, bug wipes, baby wipes, and some snacks

this kit is mostly meant for convenience and to help with spontaneity. If we suddenly decide to go swimming, we don't have to spend an hour looking for all the stuff we need. Oh yeah, in the summer swimsuits and extra towels are added in.

4. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I used to carry in my truck, in no particular order:
    25ft-2gauge jumper cables
    basic tool kit
    shovel and hachet
    ice scraper/brush
    sleeping bag/blankets
    emergency candle in a can
    cb radio
    extra food and water
    automotive fluids (oil, transmission fluid, anti-freeze, brake fluid) gas can
    4 way lug wrench, jack
    3 come alongs, tow strap/sling, 32ft of chain
    tire plugs & tool
    extra cold weather clothing
    extra belt(s)
    extra bulbs and fuses
    electrical tape, duct tape, WD-40

There may have been other items, I am reconstructing this from memory.
    I haven't owned a internal cumbustion engine vehicle in over a year.

5. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

A 6x8 lightweight tarp. Walmart has them for like $4 in the auto section. You can use it to create shelter or use it to keep yourself dry/clean if you have to change a tire or work on the underside of the car.

kertap75 likes this.
  6. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

As for tools, a good solid channel lock, crescent wrench, and phillips screwdriver is what I always seem to use most often. More infrequently, an air pressure gauge. Other items include phone charger, Jabra Cruiser visor Bluetooth speaker, and a stack of very useful fast-food napkins I get for free! ;)

7. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Keeping water, food, batteries, etc in a cooler (dry) can extend their useful life in a car.

A reflective vest is a good $3 add, as well.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

8. MR24927
    • In Omnia Paratus

MR24927 Loaded Pockets

what kinda car

9. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I was just about to post something about a tank-top, shorts and a boonie hat for when you have to chage a flat tire... :uhhuh:

I'd add few zip-ties, matches, a small mirror (for looking under the car), a compass and a HUGE bag of almonds/nuts.

10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

• An extra jacket would be nice.
    • Some non-perishable food items that'll do well in heat and cold. :)
    • Extra set of clothes/toiletries

11. mud390

mud390 Loaded Pockets

- Flashlight
    - Toilet Paper (you never know)
    - Something to organize all of your stuff in.

I keep two small military mechanic's bags in my truck. One bag has all my tow straps, tie downs, etc. and the other has tools, such as jumper cables, small tool kit, 1 pair of coverall (same tank top/shorts concept mentioned above), etc. One bag under each seat keeps everything neat and out of the way.

12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the new car, I picked my new vehicle (ok so it's second hand, but new to me) today and am also looking for advice on what emergency stuff to carry.

I already have a set of jumper leads, tow rope, flashlight, flashing marker, basic toolkit
    I need a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, better toolkit

Will keep an eye on this thread and see what others reccomend

13. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

water purification tablets, a fire blanket, fire starter. i have a couple of the nalgene drinking bags -or whatever they are called- for emergencies.

14. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Couple of flares (if you're not a fan of the "real" flares, maybe inexpensive electronic-type). Can or two of Fix-A-Flat or Slime-brand Quick Spair (as it's spelled). 12V tire inflator (rated at least 1 CFM). Why the latter two if you've got a spare tire? Changing a flat tire on busy highway, winter, snow on the ground, at night? Yikes! They'll allow you to get to a safer place to change the tire or maybe all the way home.
    Likewise, far better in cold temps.

15. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Perhaps you did this, but a reminder if not ... when you purchase a new vehicle, that's a good time to review your auto insurance coverage to ensure (no pun intended) that your coverage is what you thought it was and, if warranted, modify, e.g. limits of coverage, deductible, towing, rental car reimbursement etc.

evolutionglitch likes this.
  16. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

NO! :frantic: Fix a Fllat should be called Kill a Tire... It eats away the tire causing possible future blow outs, gums up valve stems so you cant properly air up your tires, clogs small leaks so they cant be found and repaired correctly, messes up TPMS sensors (they're not cheap), puts your tires out of balance, smells like death... the list goes on... the monetary cost of fix a flat is usually higher than a tow and a flat repair. Also by the time you notice your tire is low, its already unsafe. If you can air up a tire you can change one. There are spares in most cars for a reason. Fix a Flat is for those caught in the desert or wilderness with a hole in the spare, with no cell phone to call a tow truck, and no better option. Then by all means use it and drive straight to a mechanic.

Sorry for the rant... I just want to let people know from my experience (auto tech) so they can avoid getting their own the hard way.

Lightnig likes this.
  17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Don't disagree with what you say, and probably should have added those caveats. But, I do live in the desert (and often drive there alone), often no cell coverage, and Murphy's Law can bless a spare. Last resort, but a resort, nevertheless. Personally, I wouldn't discount a situation where expediency might be worth all the ills you (rightfully) list.

18. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

True enough. At the garage we get people in who are baffled that they need new TPMS sensors and often a tire (unless we get it soon and then we have to wash everything and hope for the best). I like EDCF'ers and just want to inform us so no one has to waste money... you could get a barkie for TPMS money! :eek:

19. justang1997

justang1997 Loaded Pockets

I keep all my stuff in a plastic 'action packer' from walmart but sometimes when hauling things in the cargo area I remove it so I put the things I absolutely must have with me packed around the spare tire under the cargo area floor.
    [​IMG]

In the spare area is: tow strap, picture hanging wire(for holding a muffler on or snares and other uses) jumper cables, fix a flat for emergency, regular tire plug kit for if I can find the hole, zip ties, flairs, small saw, crow bar, folding 4 way, and a hose for siphoning gas.
    [​IMG]

In the action packer I have basic tools, gas jug, first aid kit I bought but added to, power inverter,flashlight(pic shows a petzl but I have a cheapie in it currently) fleece sleeping bag. Probably more that I am forgetting. I have a heavy moving blanket folded on the floor to use when hauling or laying under the car. Also stashed here and there are lighters and maps ammo and other handy randoms.
    [​IMG]

20. justang1997

justang1997 Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, I forgot I have radiator stop leak and putty epoxy in there too. :)