1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just a thought, one watch for extended world travel

Discussion in 'Watches' started by SBloke, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SBloke

SBloke Loaded Pockets

Say, I get the chance to take a prolonged trip around the world (>6 months) and I can bring only one watch. Must take about all abuse there is. (Do I hear G-shock already?) be accurate (perhaps atomic, but world wide signal) have an alarm function and perhaps something like a compass in it. Countdown timer would be nice too.

...a bit stylish as far as that goes :-X, suitable for a small wrist (currently wearing a monster, that's about as big as I can have) and if it's battery operated must have a battery life of at least the whole trip.

What would you bring along? (with pictures please.... )

2. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I've lugged my old Timex Ironman half-way around the globe (twice)... been up mountains, in the ocean, rivers, jungle, etc.
    Not only small and lightweight, but waterproof and 100% reliable. Don't need anything else.

3. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

For me the Tissot One Touch, most modern watches will give you a couple of years on a battery.

4. evil.little.dru

evil.little.dru Empty Pockets

Doesn't fulfill all your needs but my seiko 5 has been around the world

5. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

Check out the GIEZ: it's a GShock, analog, solar-powered, syncs with signal daily, has an alarm, a second time zone that's hot-swappable with the primary (so you can leapfrog your time zones as you travel, never having to set/reset the watch: very nice), wears small, is nice-looking without being a big eye-catch....

If you need an all-black, they're available from Seiya, directly from Japan for the Japan-only market, but will only synch in Japan & the USA [looks like only the 1100 model will pick up signals world-wide]. That's not a big deal as Casio claims the watch to be "accurate to within 20seconds/month without synchronization at normal temperatures"; if you find an accurate timepiece, you can always set by hand.

You can also keep an eye on the WatchUSeek bulletin board, as the Japan all-black GIEZ show up there almost weekly, and at a discount from buying a new one through Seiya.

6. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

Here's another "monster" for you... It's a line from Casio:

Casio Pathfinders

This thing is cool, you can use all its features like Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, Compass and lots more. Altough it's on the expensive side though, you be the judged if you like it or not or can afford it or not, hell just let us know what you think about the darn watch...

7. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

That Pathfinder is the size of a Bob Evans biscuit.

8. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer: Yes I know and that why I called it a monster. :iagree:

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

Casio Pathfinder Titanium is my EDC watch. I bought it from e-bay before it ever became available in the States. It started as my travel watch. It helped me hike the Alps providing a great backup compass and an altimeter. It survived shallow dives in Central America. Finally, I started to wear it every day. It is exceptionally light for its size. If you fly, Zulu time and stop-watch functions are very handy. It has 5 alarm. You can also get a basic weather trend by watching the barometer. It never needs batteries. Fully charged, it will run for months. Best of all, it resets itself each night using the calibration signal transmitted in Germany (Mainflingen), England (Rugby), and the United States (Fort Collins). In the dark, you can briefly turn on the back light by flicking your wrist.

When I finally destroy the one on my wrist, I will get another Pathfinder. It is the best EDC watch I ever found!

10. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I was making a trip to Thailand last November, and I hated to take one of my expensive watches with me, having read about all the pickpockets and such (I didn't actually see any problems at all.) I decided to get a relatively inexpensive watch that wouldn't be so heart-breaking if something should happen to it. I happened upon this watch:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/GW810D-1A/

The Casio G-Shock GW810D-1VER (I know the displayed watch is a -1A, I'm not sure what the difference is) is pretty good for world travelers. It doesn't have compass/altimeter/barometer/etc. as the watch Eeyore just described, nor is it made of titanium. So, I guess if you wanted ultimate survivability and many backpacking/hiking functions, the Pathfinder Titanium would be a better choice. But, mine served me well, and I only paid $90 for it. Any of these with the world atomic/solar/29 time zone features would work pretty well. BTW, mine receives the atomic signal in Germany, England, US, & Japan. Not sure if it's different than Eeyore's, or he just missed that bit.

Tim

11. FlipMag

FlipMag Loaded Pockets

Another here for the Casio Pathfinder - Never go on a trip without it! The newer models are not as big as some of the older models. Yes the size is a bit larger, but you get so used to it very quickly. Me, I prefer larger watches anyway.

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

13. SBloke

SBloke Loaded Pockets

The Casio MR-G series look mighty fine... but that pricetag :(

14. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

Okay now that we've established enough that "some" of us love the Pathfinder watches, my question now is where can you get it as cheap as I am...?

15. FlipMag

FlipMag Loaded Pockets

Ebay.

Look on the Casio Pathfinder website http://pathfinder.casio.com and find the model number you want (then put the # into a search). There are many retailers that sell them at very good prices. Thats were I got mine....

16. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

17. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

Another suggestion for a good travel watch is the Citizen Skyhawk AT. The time changes with a few presses of the button. The calculator wheel makes it easy to convert from "American" into metric. The atomic sync works through out the northern hemisphere. The thing I thinks that makes this the perfect travel watch is that when you set one of the two alarms you can set what timezone you want the time to be synced to. That way, if you want to call somebody at 3:00 P.M. in New York and you are in Calcutta, you don't have to figure out the time difference, you just set the alarm to 3:00 P.M. and the location to NY and you are done.

The watch is also waterproof to 200m but if you want a more rugged watch for adventuring, I would also recommend the Pathfinder series. I have the 1300 and like it a lot. If I were staying in towns I would wear the Citizen, if I were heading out into the bush, I would wear the Casio.

Chad

18. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

since you didnt mention a budget, my suggestion was the watch specifically made for pilots traversing the world. the rolex GMT is a true gentlemans world traveler. it will take whatever abuse you throw at it and then some. you will never need to worry about the battery dying, and can set a second time zone easily. :luck:

19. SBloke

SBloke Loaded Pockets

A big issue in all this is that it can't look to pricey....

Try haggling for something while wearing a pricey watch (or something that looks pricey)... You'd make for a target for robbery as well. In that perspective, a simple g-shock would be great I think. It must be low-profile... (My Black monster just wouldn't do)

20. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

G-Shock GWM5600-1. Love it. About 80 bucks, can receive atomic signal in Japan, Germany, UK, US. Solar powered. Doesn't look fancy. Smaller than most G-Shocks. World Time mode is very easy to use.

Here is a link: Amazon