1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

JUNK's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by JUNK, Apr 4, 2011.

1. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

How's it going? Been around for a while, but thought I'd introduce myself and make my first post showing the items I carry around daily. I'm pretty minimalist. Thanks and looking forward to some good discussion. Sorry for the poor photo.

[​IMG]IMG_20110401_235052 by dajunker1, on Flickr

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The photo's not bad, just too small to see. If you could ID the different items, you would get more feedback. I'm particularly interested in the chapstick and space pen holster.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. laylow

laylow Loaded Pockets

San Diego member here, too. Welcome to the forum. This is today:
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

The items pictured are as follows:

1. Saddleback narrow tobacco brown wallet

2. Luminox Watch (I have some other Seikos, etc. but this has been on my wrist for a while)

3. Chapstick and bullet space pen in handmade kydex holster. These items used to be carried loose in pocket, but after loosing both items frequently came upon this solution. The pen would slide out of my pocket easily and get lost.

4. Sogzilla. I actually prefer other knives that I have in my collection, but have been using this as a daily beater. On knives like this I'm a little worried that with some sharpening down the road the blade edge will come up above the handle when closed. It is already pretty close with the factory edge. Have noticed this on some spydercos as well. Any thoughts?

5. Keys w/ stainless snap shackle. The keychain contains the following:

a. Battery Junction Illuminati (great light!). I have it on a handmaid kydex keychain holster. This was made because the attachment point on the light worried me a bit in terms of durability and I like having a quick-disconnect option.

b. Unique titanium whistle.

c. PocketToolX Brewzer

d. Spyderco Bug

e. Mini Vic 4-way Screwdriver.

Thanks for the comment.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

Cool. Great place to live. Born and raised and never want to leave.

6. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I'm very jealous of that Luminox!

7. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

Its a great watch. Kind of bugs me though that the crown is not screw-down. I have grown to prefer this option on watches although it really isn't a necessity.

8. t7a13h87

t7a13h87 Loaded Pockets

i like the pen/chapstick kydex holster. i have the same problem keeping the space pen (any pen) in my pocket as well. i used to put my space pen in the center fold of my wallet but it would always fall out when i'd retreive my wallet.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

Yeah, if i carried a bigger light, I'd combine it with that, but so far pretty happy with just the little keychain light. I'll bring along bigger light if going somewhere out of my usual routine. Chapstick works great though and keeps two useful items together. Also keeps me from forgetting the chapstick and not having it when needed.

10. stm

stm Loaded Pockets

At first glance, I thought it was a Traser watch. Looks nice. Simple but very useful. I am a basic black kind of guy, so this appeals. BTW, Trasers are screw-down, IIRC. I like the strap, too. Maratac Zulu?

stm

11. takenaway

takenaway Loaded Pockets

I like the setup! The kydex holster for the pen and chapstick looks super cool, very slick design.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Thanks for the item break-down!
    I did something similar with elastic band and staples to carry a Vic Manager, Chap Stick, A.G.Russell nail clippers, and a DX Permanent Match. Your solution is much more elegant, though.

I once picked up an abused Spyderco that had been sharpened too aggresively (I'm guessing grinder), and it can be a problem. I think the best way to deal with the problem is to simply round the back of the knife off towards the tip. You'll end up with a slightly shorter blade, but one that won't stick you.

Nice solution! I really like that holster. I don't carry my QMAA on a keychain, but I've been considering a Fenix E05, and this looks like a good way to carry it.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

Yep. I've put the 4 ring zulu on the majority of my watches. Very, comfortable, durable, and its something a little different. A traser would be cool, but can't find one cheap. I got lucky and picked up the luminox on craigslist with a cracked crystal for cheap. My local shop replaced it for twenty bucks! Have yet to test the water resistance though with the exception of a quick shower, etc...

14. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

Thanks - I've been trying to come up with some other ideas lately for the stuff. I don't cary fixed blades and don't really just use the clip on my folder. It seems there is countless uses and making simple things with it is pretty easy. I'd maybe like to make a combination sheath for a knife and a bigger light like I've seen around the forum.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I've yet to find my perfect folder. I picked up a really cool strider SMF off of craigslist the other day, but the thing is huge! No way I could carry it around everyday.

16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You might want to take a look at Spyderco. I highly recommend something in the Calypso family - Caly Jr, UKPK, Caly3, Urban, Caly3.5, Sage, etc...
    They may eventually protrude from the blade after a lot of sharpening, but I doubt that it will happen in the next 10 years, unless you're using a grinder to resharpen them. Even when it does eventually happen, the leaf blade won't be too difficult to modify to get the tip back into the handle.

17. laylow

laylow Loaded Pockets

For me, perfect folders include Spyderco Native 4, Endura 4, Kershaw Pack Rat, Buck Vantage large, SOG Flash II, SOG Aegis...several more. I suggest you get one of each :)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  18. Websniper

Websniper Loaded Pockets

Great stuff. I'm especially interested in that snap shackle... I want one! May I ask where you got that from?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

I got this one from a sailing shop near the bay in San Diego. Lots of marine hardware shops where I live. I believe they are also available from Berkely Point. I really want a titanium one - just can't afford it!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. JUNK

JUNK Loaded Pockets

The Buck Vantage looks appealing to me and the pack rat. I have a couple Buck oldies from when they were still in El Cajon near me. I am a Kershaw fan. Typically great knifes for the price.

ManVsLawn likes this.