1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Journals (?)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by DCBman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

How many people keep a journal of some sort?

I do, although not ritualistically. I love paper, pens and the like and try to write down thoughts, ideas, sketches and (frustrations), etc. I find it let's me just get them out of my head. It's kind of like emptying a hard drive or something sometimes.

I have like 20 different notebooks, and don't really write in any particular one (some more than others). I figure one day I'll be able to collate all those notes, but for now it doesn't matter so much. I can read any one of the books and follow the thoughts.

I'm a visual person, so if I write something down I never really forget it. I just seem to store the data in a different place (like long term memory, as opposed to my grey matter RAM).

What do you write down?

2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

No..I need to start. . But I do use my Franklin planner 2 pages per day and monthly calender and pages to keep my life in order. Important things go on the month pages. Its a quick system with lots of space for each day. Then I find I can go back in the year by month so see important/often used info.

3. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I use a Moleskine sketch book as a journal.

IGetov likes this.
  4. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I have kept a journal in the past, and keep wanting to do so again (heaven knows I've bought enough notebooks :frantic:). I used the journal as just that - a daily journal of my life: Capturing random thoughts and observations and occasionally recording something noteworthy that happened to me.

My latest purchase, which I rec'd just yesterday, is a 3-pack of Word "Tasting Notes" notebooks. I enjoy drinking wine and take a photo of every bottle I taste, but I've never gotten around to jotting down my impressions of the wine, right then and there. Perhaps now that I have an official Tasting Notes notebook :confused: I'll be motivated to begin doing so.

I recently purchased a Baron Fig Confidant that I haul around in my EDC bag; I use to list words that I enjoy hearing and using.

Maybe this thread will jump-start my efforts. Thanks!

Pocketses likes this.
  5. IGetov

IGetov Loaded Pockets

I have a work notebook that i really need to organize what has to be done on daily, weekly or monthly bases. This is not the kind of journal you are asking BUT kinda helps to use my writing instruments in some way.
    The journal will be defferent - I will use the writing instruments in relaxation and on good notebook (the working notebooks are company branded and not from reputable brands). So directly saying it - I do not keep a personal journal. I have a small pocket notebook to write something small - buy this or that, name of a good movie or item, do something, etc.
    But I start thinking to start a journal. I'm going to the other half of the world for a month ( i live in Eastern Europe and my sister's family is living in Australia) and thought i could make a journal for this adventure. I'm thinking about full size Molskine notebook (plain paper) from some of the limited series or scetchbook.

Scoman, could you please show some photos of your Moleskin sketchbook?

Seththecursed likes this.
  6. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

There wouldn't be much good it's just a black notebook. Go to the Moleskine website, Creativity notebooks and sketchbooks. I went for the large but A4 and indeed A3 are available.

IGetov likes this.
  7. George Crawford

George Crawford Empty Pockets

A few months ago I started getting into fountain pens and notebooks and went through various notebooks but I finally found a system I like. I bought a Midori Travelers Notebook which is simply a leather cover with some elastic bands for inserting booklets. So now I just keep the same cover and as I fill the inserts I take them out and replace them. The inserts come with different types of paper and styles depending on what you want so I have one insert for journalling, one for water coloring (I suck at that). Some people keep more inserts depending on what works for them.

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I worked in a research and development organization for many years and maintained a laboratory notebook.

After retiring, I continued to use the same style notebook to record important family events, the outcomes of various hobby experiments, home projects, etc.

I don't write in the notebook as much as I used to and should get back in the habit.

TV09 likes this.
  9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I went all digital for a spell, but recently came back to paper for most things except my contacts and calendar/appts.

For me though, paper has to be loose leaf/ring binder so I can section it off with tabs, remove older/unused pages, keep important ones, insert fresh pages etc. I suppose it's sort of like digitally deleting/moving/saving/inserting files and notes around on a flash drive - never understood fixed page notebooks/journals for those reasons.

The micro "shirt pocket" loose-leaf paper and ring binders have unfortunately disappeared from the market, but I found my decades old one in storage and am in business again.

HeavyHauler likes this.
  10. koni

koni Loaded Pockets

Hobonichi Techo. They are expensive, but have a few very useful features for a planner.
    1. Front of the planner you can add important things to regularly do to a checklist that can be found at a glance, will get pics in a bit.
    2. Each month has a 'upcoming events' so you know what is important at a glance.
    3. Rear dot grid lasting notes section not dedicated a date.
    4. A5/A6 sizes I prefer the smaller as it fits pretty well anywhere.
    5. Paper designed to be used with watercolors, fountain pens, whatever you throw at it.
    6. References and conversions. Flight times between major cities, timezone conversion, japanese food customs, imperial/metric.

TV09 likes this.
  11. Queen of Saigon

Queen of Saigon Loaded Pockets

I use to be very picky when it came to the content of my notebooks, but then I stopped caring due to my now decent pen hand writing.
    Rite-in-the-rain pads are just write important class/or other important things to remember. I used to use them while working but then I found an EMS version of the same pad which has the great patient note-taking done already mapped for health providers.
    I use my smaller moleskin for EMS/responder education stuff. Now it has turned into a low angle rope/rappeling note book.
    The larger moleskin is a recent impulse buy, now just used for just random things.
    The monologue soft sketch book from grandluxe was given to me as a gift and use it from time to time for illustrations.
    [​IMG]

12. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I use a Leuchtturm 1917 A5 book as my work journal. Places for each page to be dated, hardcover, page index, and 2 ribbons for marking pages. Not to mention some of the best pen friendly paper out there.

Pocketses likes this.
  13. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

I've been keeping journals for many years now. I use the ExaCompta refills in a cover. I use various fountain pen colors for variety-the grey looks like pencil, the sepia gives an older, antique look. It's great to look back and see various occasions or when you need to remember when you remodeled the kitchen!

Pocketses likes this.
  14. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I use Moleskine Cahiers (large, ruled) for itemized daily task journals at work. I have to document my time every day for client billing and project budget management. I then dictate entries into software at the end of each week. Some would say I could just put it directly into the software, but I find I'm far more accurate and far more likely to actually document my time with the pen and cahier in close proximity to my writing/mouse hand. In fact, there's something almost therapeutic about it — disengaging from multiple screens, taking a breath and putting pen to paper.

Pocketses likes this.
  15. Pocketses

Pocketses Empty Pockets

I also have about a dozen different notebooks going at any given time, each for different things. For 'reflection'-type journaling, I use the Seven Seas writers notebook from Nanami Paper Supply; the buttery smooth paper makes writing longhand very enjoyable. If I can't think of anything to write that day, I'll just copy quotes or other passages of writing purely for the physical act of handwriting on that lovely paper.

I also love writing down random words that strike my fancy at the time; I use a Field Notes notebook for this. I had a friend whose second language was English, and it was neat to hear what kinds of English words he liked based on how they sounded or what they meant.

kkay likes this.
  16. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I like to keep a running journal/log and have for about 15 years now. I got these Simpsons moleskins for about $4 apiece in the clearance bin and I'm sure they are regularly about three times that.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Pocketses likes this.
  17. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I've kept a daily journal for years and years--boxes full in the closet... Moleskine lined.

THX2008 likes this.
  18. qvxb

qvxb Loaded Pockets

For journalling, I use an A5 Black n' Red notebook. It's hardbound, lined white paper, 192 pages. Under $10 at Rite Aid.

I use a 9 x 14 cm Clairefontaine Classic 96-page staple bound notebook, carried in a shirt pocket, for "research" notes like the words to the poem High School Drag that was recited by the actress Phillipa Fallon in the 1958 cinematic gem "High School Confidential".

19. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

I journal--almost daily--in a Leuchtturm 1917 Medium Notebook...it's like a Moleskine on steroids. I love the numbered pages.

glockguy110, rat-7 and Pocketses like this.
  20. Menlow

Menlow Loaded Pockets

Journals are great things until they're read in open court. Then, not so much.