1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Jeweler's Loupe

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by dplafoll, May 20, 2016.

1. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Mods, if this is the wrong place for this thread, I apologize and please move it where it should be.

So I often read advice for sharpening that involves "buy a loupe so you can see the edge" or some variety thereof. I was hoping to get some community input on that.
    1) What power(s) are good to see what you need to see on the edge?
    2) Good brands/examples of loupes, and good places to purchase them at decent prices.
    3) Alternatives to a loupe with equivalent functionality.

Mumbojumboo and WillAdams like this.
  2. AV8R

AV8R Loaded Pockets

1) 10X
    2) Belomo

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a few but my sharpening skills will never get to that level. Good for anyone that does!!

4. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I have an Insten brand 30x magnifying glass with LED light from Staples for $7. I initially bought it to inspect electronics but use it to inspect my sharpening. I would say 10x min.

I wear glasses so loupes aren't an option for me. I like a magnifying glass with a simple LED light. My work isn't good enough to warrant spending big $ on a loupe or magnifying glass.

ran23 and Stuart Mantel like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Second the motion for the 10x Belomo triplet. I got mine initially for my obsession fascination with fountain pens. Check Amazon for this and others. This one is approx $35.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

This one works well for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ran23 likes this.
  7. BadDad

BadDad Empty Pockets

I have a very basic 30x loupe. Works great for identifying micro chipping and checking that you have a solid bevel set along the full edge. It's also useful for checking your scratch patterns and striations before moving on in grit. I shone a lot of vintage straight razors, and it can really come in handy when you're dealing with rust, pitting, and cracks, too.

I think I paid about $5 on Amazon...

8. bvisteve

bvisteve Empty Pockets

I have a Canon 10X that I have from when I did slides. Works good for blades also.

9. landwire
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Forget all the jewelers loupe. Want you want is a precision lens from a projection tv. They are dirt cheap on ebay. Usually about $10.00-$20 or so. The viewing area is so much larger than a loupe. Several caveats... They have a decent weight to them and you need some lighting in the area to help see better. They work best if whatever you are looking at is stationary and or mounted in some manner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adam Ng and Nick4305 like this.