1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Wranglers: Fun?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by wrath0r, Jan 5, 2014.

1. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Pink bead locks?!?!?!

Sign of someone truly secure with their manliness!

2. Silverj53

Silverj53 Loaded Pockets

Hehehe it has a pink top too, with three sons I have nothing to prove :)
    The beadlock symbols are minivans, kinda like the shocker. 2 in the front and 5 in the back![​IMG][​IMG]

Brtsmpsn, deeker, Lou_G and 1 other person like this.
  3. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

My 4-door has room for the family and our stuff. It's capable off-road. It's slow. The doors and top come off for warm weather fun. Some people get it, others don't find the attraction. It puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it.

I know the pictures don't show it but it does get driven on pavement, too. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

This, I have a 4.0 in my 97 zj, pushing 200k with no real end in sight.
    Once it dies, ive been looking at a Brute from aev. You get a pickup, and a Jeep, imo something Jeep should offer as factory. Pricey, yes, but how many jeep pickups do you see?

Just get the jeep, you wont regret it.

Last edited by jda, Jan 6, 2014
  5. freddy russo
    • In Omnia Paratus

freddy russo Loaded Pockets

Love my jeep, havnt gotten to take it off roading yet sadly but I will one day! [​IMG]

6. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

That's a shame!!

deeker likes this.
  7. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

How about a Tacoma? More space, nicer drive and more versatile... And depending on the model, on par or better off-road capability.

Epilektos and Darth_Firebolt like this.
  8. JustinR

JustinR Empty Pockets

Jeeps are fun as a weekend vehicle. The newer ones are leaps and bounds better for road noise and driveability but still pretty rough around the edges. Although I wouldn't daily drive one I know plenty of guys that do drive them rain or shine with doors off and only a bikini top. That probably wouldn't fly in New England though.

Test drive one. The 4.0 is pretty bulletproof but has no balls. Not sure what motor they are putting in the in the newest post TJ platform.

9. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

There is no place you can take a pickup truck, that a Wrangler couldn't go. You want to haul stuff, then a truck is your answer. You want to ride trails, rocks, mud, snow, and anything challenging then Jeep is the answer.

Bamajay73 and deeker like this.
  10. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

They're fun and very capable off road, but the worst on-pavement car I've ever ridden in. Noisy, harsh ride, poor mileage, incredibly poor handling in the wind or rain, and one of the worst crash test scores of anything with 4 wheels. Go with a Cherokee series if you want a jeep for commuting.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Noisy? Sure, but so is every convertible. Poor milage? High teens and low twenties are not great, but lots a people drive cars and trucks just as bad or even worse everyday. Incredibly poor handling? You realize it's not an Indy car, right? Just drive it like a sensible human being and both you and the Jeep will be fine. One of the worst crash test scores of anything with 4 wheels? Like I said, just drive it like a sensible human being and both you and the Jeep will be fine.

What's the saying? It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. What's the other saying? I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

I used ITTM's words and the pronoun "you" to make a point, not to argue with ITTM. From one perspective, he was spot on accurate.

12. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

jeeps are for women. get a real car!

... says the miata driver. :p
    my wife had one. we sold it because i got sick of taking her to work when it was broken. usually just electrical stuff or something stupid like a broken ignition cylinder (twice in 4 years w/ only 80k miles on it). with what we sold it for, we were able to get her a nice honda accord (double the gas mileage!!!) and a set of snow tires for my miata on the 3 days a year we would have used the 4wd. i love not having to pay for or live with it the other 362 days of the year.

i'll compare the truly off road wranglers to a downhill mountain bike: keep one in the garage in case your buddies call and want to have an adventure. don't keep it with the idea of riding it to work. also, don't cruise around on mud tires unless you're the monopoly man.

13. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Have never owned a wrangler, but currently have a Commander and had a Comanche back in the day. I have driven a few wranglers over the years and have loved driving them. Are they practical, no are they great cargo haulers , no, are they cool as :censored:, fun to drive, and capable ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Am I thinking about buying one yes, it depends on my needs and what I will be using it for, I prefer the 2-door unlimited myself, but they are very spendy for the age. I also like the Toyota FJ cruiser and it may actually fit my needs better.

14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Good timing on the thread, a Wrangler is what I'm looking to acquire this summer for an small easy daily driver... (it either that or a Ranger/S10, but the jeep gains me passenger space for the same drive capabilities and wheel base as a mini truck)

I ain't gonna afford anything newer than mid to late 90s though.

So, my question, are the removable hard tops/doors etc sealed real well these days, for colder climates?
    And how good is the heater output?

I'll put it this way; if I drive it in the winter, odds are its gonna see 65mph @ -50F... If it don't seal up well with a good heater, or seal up moderately well + have a super heater, I'm gonna freeze... at which point I might as well just get the truck.

15. T.H.Cone

Well, AK, since you are in Alaska, I don't suppose the average Wrangler owner can really answer those questions. Do you ever see soft top Jeeps where you live? If not, I'd say there is probably a good reason for that.

I will say that the heaters in Wranglers are generally real good compared to other vehicles. They seal up as OK for what they are, but they are not a Lexus, so do not expect an air tight seal. You can quilt the roof and put up a barrier right behind the from seats to add insulation and reduce the area you are trying to heat.

And, of course, there is always the hard top option; not that that is a whole heck of a lot much better.

Besides the heating issue, the plastic windows will not enjoy the cold at all. If you even think about rolling or bending the back wind to get cargo in and it will surely crack.

16. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Yeah, I actually do see quite a few of them, but with what looks to be a removable hard top, not the classic soft/roll up ones... if that makes any sense... I mean, is there a removable hard top for these things or am I seeing a permanent hard top?

I know Literally nothing about Jeeps... they've always been in that SUV catagory; useless for hauling, too slow to race, and that 'thing' that gets stuck in all the moderate mud holes ;) I've ignored them.

I know guys drive them here in the winter, but then again, idiots abound... Doesn't mean its a good idea, or even moderately warm ;)

I dunno, I figure anybody in the upper North East, Maine, NY, PA, etc or a little further west thats had so much snow lately, anybody in those areas that has one and is comfortable in it in the winter, than it would be OK here, on average at least...

17. toxiccrush

toxiccrush Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I love my Jeep. Warm weather is Jeep weather. Cold weather is Jeep weather.

[​IMG]

Bamajay73, deeker, 95yjinpa and 2 others like this.
  18. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

There is something to this. In my head, I'm thinking "good all-weather vehicle, removable top, American made, and I can probably learn to wrench on it myself." Is that a Jeep thing? I want to put a trail hitch and a winch on it just in case, but I've got no intention of taking it off the road. I'm remembering my '93 Grand Cherokee and wanting the smaller version with a top I can remove, and that's not what a Wrangler is. So maybe I don't get the Jeep thing either, and maybe I'm Doing It Wrong™.

AK Adventurer and Darth_Firebolt like this.
  19. T.H.Cone

AK, once the heat is up and on, I've never been cold and the wife has never complained either. Whether or not the kids are OK I couldn't say. I never ask and I suffer any crying from the peanut gallery.

As far as tops go, any top on a Wrangler is removable. I think the majority of hard top owners will also have a soft top, but the reverse is less often the case. I had always had both tops and two sets of doors. While I have often removed the hard top with just myself and my wife, the storing of it takes up some room, and on my current Jeep I just went soft top only. No issues.

To be fair, while it is my wife's daily driver, most days she doesn't drive anywhere. In fact, it is only just now coming up to 60K and that includes several long family vacation/road trips.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  20. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

You're not one of those guys with a 2lb. keychain and complain about broken ignition cylinders are you???

wrath0r likes this.