1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Wranglers: Fun?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by wrath0r, Jan 5, 2014.

1. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

For a variety of reasons I won't get into here, I can't take full advantage of a fun performance vehicle. I've always found Wranglers appealing with the power and freedom they offer, and with my Outback on its last legs in starting to think about my next vehicle. Please share your opinions, both good and bad. Also, I live in New England so erratic weather is the norm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

thekapow likes this.
  2. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I own a 95 YJ, and love it! I have not been able to drive for years, but am fixing it up for my daughter.
    I would take the hard top off in May, put the safari top on, and leave it on through October. They are an absolute beast off road!
    Buy a Wrangler, and don't look back!!!

wrath0r likes this.
  3. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

95yjinpa. Mind if I ask if your in a chair, in Pa? I'm also in a chair in Pa and owned a 88 wrangler.

4. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

Yes I am, since 1/2011. I miss my Jeep most of all, I just cant get in it.

5. Rallykid

Rallykid Loaded Pockets

Had two, loved them. Both were money oits as you can't leave them alone and are constantly modifying and fixing things. Not horribly reliable for the small things but motor, tranny, transfer case and axles are solid especially if you get dana 44's. Gas mileage is a joke. Mine got between 12 and 14 MPG which is the only reason they are gone. I will get another one but not as a daily driver. Nothing beats top down and doors off driving in the summer.

95yjinpa likes this.
  6. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Been wrenching on Jeeps for 12 years...

Don't have one yet as I've always needed a truck.

Will probably get one in the next year or so; pre- '06

7. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Why pre-06?

8. micahtbyrd

micahtbyrd Loaded Pockets

I would agree with the above... If you have to commute, the mileage is crap, even a late model will have a tough time doing better than say 17mpg combined. As a second fun rig or wheeler they are great. Mods will suck up all your spare time and cash. The main reason I would get one over any other rig is probably if you like exploring camping, outdoors and the associated life style. I use my 95 very modified wrangler as a run around, weekend expo rig. Daily driver in an urban jungle may leave you short on gas money and paying a premium for a clean rust free late model...

9. micahtbyrd

pre 06 get you the legendary 4.0 i6 power plant vs the weenie v6 in the 07 to 09 models. The newer 10 to present v6 is better.

10. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

The old 4.0 liter straight six motors are bullet proof...

I've seen them with a blown head gasket and bleeding out of every pore and still running strong.

2006 was the last year for that motor as it couldn't keep up with Kalifornia emissions.

May have been a few early build 7's with them... Not sure.

I'll check at work in the morning.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  11. micahtbyrd

My dream rig would be a 04 to 06 wrangler unlimited LJ, maybe even an LJ Rubicon if I could swing it. Best factory wheel base and axle combo...

12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Jeeps are fun... If you are young. The Wranglers are agricultural almost in their execution. If you keep good tires on them, they will never get stuck. Other than that, its not great at daily driving. What did you do/not do in your Subaru that you would have liked to do/not do in your new Jeep? The new ones are supposedly much more tame/ mainstream so its somewhat tolerable for daily driving. The Jeeps do keep their value, you wont find a cheap one, I guarantee it. Because I am a Subaru freak and have been slathering this pic all over this forum...Make THIS!
    [​IMG]
    liftedsubie by Sriracha2, on Flickr
    or this...
    [​IMG]
    muddyroo by Sriracha2, on Flickr

bull_paqqy and wrath0r like this.
  13. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I had a 1995 YJ for almost 10 years until I had to sell it to get a truck (jeep won't pull a horse trailer). I recently bought a 1990 YJ for my sons and I to build out. I love wranglers. They are incredibly fun to drive and even stock ones can go nearly anywhere you want to go.

Bamajay73, deeker and 95yjinpa like this.
  14. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Honestly? Nothing. I'm just bored and want a change. Maybe driving with the top off in warm weather, experimenting with some offroading, other neat stuff. Being able to power through a pile of snow would be nice, too.

deeker, 95yjinpa and Sriracha like this.
  15. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I agree with you that there is no other vehicle that is a convertible, and 4wd readily available today. (yes,yes I know, Broncos and International Harvesters and Suzuki sidekick and x-90, but I mean recently man! Stop messing with my mojo!) My old roommate bought a jeep with a 5-spd trans. He didnt know how to drive stick. He bought it then called me to drive it home! They are fun.

wrath0r likes this.
  16. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

This. It will put the same smile on your face that a sport bike/car will at speed but will be far less likely to have negative consequences. I own an '05 Unlimited now, but there has literally been a Jeep in my life everyday since birth, that's almost five decades, and Rallykid is absolutely correct.

That said, they are much better as a weekend car than a sixtymileseachwaytoworkdailydriver.

If this thread doesn't bring Tower out of the woodwork, nothing will.

wrath0r, Brtsmpsn and deeker like this.
  17. Rallykid

Rallykid Loaded Pockets

My '06 Unlimited. A small lift and 33's

[​IMG]

Bamajay73, Brtsmpsn, deeker and 3 others like this.
  18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I've owned about a dozen Jeeps, including pre-'06 Wranglers - everything from mild to wild. The Jeep TJ/LJ (1997-2006 model years) is certainly a fun vehicle. As with many fun vehicles, however, it isn't terribly practical for daily commuting. As mentioned, fuel mileage is poor. The soft top is difficult to put down (compared to most convertibles) and noisy at highway/freeway/interstate speeds. The short wheelbase of the TJ is challenging to drivers who are unfamiliar with high center of gravity, short wheel base vehicles. The LJ has a little longer wheelbase and more cargo room, but they're harder to find as the production was much more limited.

19. certifiednut

certifiednut Loaded Pockets

later this year i plan on buying my wife a 4 door jeep of some sorts. don't know if it will be a rubicon, the arctic one, or a regular one. but no matter what it will need about q 4 or so inch lift, 35 inch tires,and i good sound system. i usually have the sound system stuff laying around, but the rest it depends on what is around at the time.

deeker likes this.
  20. Silverj53

Silverj53 Loaded Pockets

I love mine, only complaints are the small cargo area and the deep pockets it takes to play the way it wants to. Noisy, wet, and in the open are part of the things I love about mine. She is meant to have her top off and loves getting dirty. Poor milage ehhhh I get around 16-18 with 41" tires, thats better than my Cummins gets most of the time, so I can't complain there.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tekkz, Brtsmpsn, deeker and 2 others like this.