1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Jason Bourne Travel Kit

Discussion in 'Travel' started by edcguy, Jul 6, 2013.

1. edcguy

edcguy Empty Pockets

After a few years of building, I feel that my Jason Bourne Kit (AKA, Bug-Out-Kit, Escape and Evasion Kit, SERE Kit) is ready to reveal to the world.

This is not a regular BOB (or EDC for that matter), but this kit does accompany me on ALL of my business trips that take me to faraway lands (or at least to an under developed country). This kit is mainly a "go off the grid" kit, and I've found it very useful when all other means of escape have been exhausted (*cough *cough).

In short, this kit must be able to...

• Get a person out of any trouble in an urban environment (i.e. during a riot or protest gone bad)
    • Provide a means to communicate with the civilized world
    • Provide basic first aid
    • Make it easier to go "off the grid" in an emergency such as civil unrest
    • Make it easier to escape from a hostile situation and get back to an American Embassy
    By all means, I am NOT a doomsday prepper or someone who thinks "big brother is watching", but in other foreign countries, these ideas may be closer to the truth than you think. No matter what you think about preparedness, or even EDC, at least some of the things in this kit will benefit you at some point in your travels.

Now then, let's get down to business; here's the current list of contents for the Jason Bourne Kit:

• Money
      • Remember when Bourne opens his safety deposit box in Switzerland? Man that's alot of money! I of course, don't carry that much money, but one or two hundred USD and a few Canadian Dollars and British Pounds is all you'll need in cash. I've found that in most sticky situations there is no need to jump over walls or wave around a handgun, all you need is a stack of money.
      • I also carry a few rolls of quarters for vending machines
    • First Aid Kit
      • Obviously, this is a must for any foreign travel. I like the Adventure Medical Kits suture/syringe packs that you can hand to a doctor and be sure that the instruments used on you are clean.
    • Various pens, pencils, documents, etc
      • I always carry copies of various important documents that I may need. Pens, pencils, and Sharpies are always useful, so I carry a lot of them.
    • Pocket Litter
      • Now this is one of those things that spooks and spies of old use. In an envelope I carry various old documents such as flyers for clubs, old bus receipts, meaningless cryptic notes, and other pieces of useless paper that will lead whoever is after you on a wild goose chase. This actually reminds me of the time in...oops, I've said too much...
    • Burn Phone
      • No E&E kit would be complete without a prepaid cell phone. Plus, it's always good to have a backup. I've used my TracFone in places where my iPhone wouldn't work. Remember, not all prepaid phones work overseas, so make sure to get one that can be used internationally. This is one device that I never leave home without.
    • Cell Phone Jammer
      • It's rather obvious as to what this can be used for. Be sure to check the legality of these in your area, and where you are traveling to. In some places these are a no-no. Also, I never use these for entertainment, or to mess with people. That's just not fun. Only use a jammer to block signals to your own phone. Call me paranoid, but when I go off the grid, I go off the grid. Plus they're really cheap. I got one from Hong Kong for about $10 USD.
    • Expandable Baton
      • Once again, in a lot of places this could get you arrested. But, if it is legal to carry, I definitely would. You just never know when you may have to use it. If nothing else, it could be used for breaking glass in case of a car accident. That’s the only real use mine has had.
    • USB Wi-fi Antenna
      • I use this constantly to get a Wi-fi signal when seemingly none was there. This can also be used with Backtrack R5...if you know how to use it.
    • Chemlights
      • I carry two or three chemlights for emergency lighting, or even for trade.
    • Maps
      • Lots of maps of my local area, plus maps of the surrounding areas, showing bug out locations. If overseas, I always carry a map showing the location of the nearest US Embassy. Once again, you just never know.
    • Ham Radio
      • In the US, these can't be used (to transmit) without a license. I acquired one that could be tuned to NOAA weather radio, as well as police frequencies, in addition to my local repeater. Plus, in an emergency, you may have to use it, and pay the fine later.
    • Bug Detector
      • Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I'm crazy, right? Wrong. I don't use mine to find Soviet spy bugs. I use mine to check for hidden cameras in my hotel room. 99.99% of the time you will be fine, but I like to prepare for the 0.01% of the time where you are being watched. I got one that also detects radio frequencies, to check if my phone is emitting unwanted information. Plus they are less than $10, and I like the insurance of a bug detector.
    • Aquamira Frontier Water Filter
      • I'm not using this Bear Grylls style, sucking water out of a mudhole in Brazil. I'm using this to filter nasty hotel water. I travel frequently (at least monthly), and while most hotel water is safe to drink, I can't stand the taste of chlorine.
    • Bolt Cutters
      • This is one item that I use constantly. I’m always breaking locks for people who lost the key. Like a lot of stuff in this kit, this is one item that if you carry it, other people will want to use it constantly.
    • Carton of Marlboro Cigarettes
      • Personally, I don't smoke, but cigarettes are as good as money in some situations, and in others, even better. Plus, a bartender in South America may give you a free drink for a couple of cigs. It's worth the space to keep a carton of these bad boys in my kit.
    • Disposable Camera
      • Always a good backup to have. A neat trick is to take a picture of a piece of paper with your contact info on it, so if someone develops you pictures, they may return them.
    • Wilderness Survival Kit
      • I won’t go into details here, a lot of you carry EDC survival kits anyway. I like to keep a small outdoor kit consisting of a firesteel, whistle, signal mirror, and other things. Honestly, I’ll probably never use this kit, as I travel almost exclusively in an urban environment, but if my car breaks down, and I have to walk to the next town, I want the capabilities a wilderness kit can offer.
    • Lock Pick Kit
      • Obviously, you shouldn’t break into anything you don’t own. However, I have a tendency to lock myself out of my own house. Rather than scrounge around for the spare key, I like to practice by picking my own locks. You just never know when you may have to break out of somewhere.
    • Ski Mask
      • Ummm…For the cold.
    • Handcuffs/Flexicuffs
      • No these aren’t for kidnapping anyone, in fact, it’s just the opposite. I like to practice escaping from handcuffs and flexicuffs. I know I sound like a broken record, but you never know.
    • Butt Set (AKA Lineman’s Phone)
      • This is a lot more useful than you might think. I’ve gone to places where the only communication with the outside world is a malfunctioning phone on the end of a phone wire. To get comms up, all you have to do is clip the butt set to a bare phone wire and there you go, you have a phone. You can get a good one on eBay for about $10.
    • Food
      • A few Clif Bars will lift the spirits after the local stores have closed and you are quietly starving in your hotel room and/or motel shack.
    • Mace/Pepper Spray
      • Obviously, this is another airline-forbidden item, but for domestic travel, I don’t leave home without it. Fortunately, I have an occupation that enables me to buy the military grade mace. Unfortunately, I have also been sprayed with it. Take my word for it, this stuff works. If you have ever been maced, you know what I’m talking about.
    • Slim Jim
      • No, not the Beef Jerky, the auto entry tool. I don’t keep this in my kit, I keep this Gorilla taped to the underside of my POV. I, of course, use a hide a key for my own car, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to break into buddies cars because they left their keys inside. Best $15 I’ve ever spent.
    • konBoot on USB
      • If you don’t know what this is for, you shouldn’t have it. This is useful for anytime you forget your password. My job sometimes requires me to log on to old government computers to get data. I’ve found that instead of trying to find out the password, I just pop this in, and I’m ready to go.
    I know that this looks like a less-than-legal kit to some, and you might just get arrested with this collection of gear in some places. However, I take this gear (minus the stuff forbidden for air travel) in my checked bag when I travel. Obviously, you should not take anything that will get you in trouble, it’s not worth it to explain to Iraqi security why you have bolt cutters in your bag. Trust me on that one. So far I’ve been fortunate enough to get MAC flights whenever I need to go overseas, and they don’t care what you take with you.
    I’ll probably add more to this kit eventually, but for right now, this is my travel EDC rig. Remember, this kit is not a standalone item. I take this in addition to my regular travel stuff (clothes, entertainment, food, etc.). I’ve found that all of this gear will fit in a small bag that goes in my bigger travel bag (a Terra 65 backpack).

*edit* I've made a LOT of changes to this kit. As of late I have been in an area with little to no internet/cell reception, so I'll update this post as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for additional equipment, by the time I post this I’m sure there will be a change to the above gear list.

Last edited by edcguy, Nov 27, 2013
    jonny8642, whoozle, Cynt and 13 others like this.
  2. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Interesting....may I ask what line of work you are in?

3. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have a picture of it all with the bag beside it? Would be interesting to see... :)

ManVsLawn and jonny8642 like this.
  4. AXO

AXO Loaded Pockets

Alrighty Then .........

ShadowE likes this.
  5. edcguy

edcguy Empty Pockets

Yeah I figured someone would ask. :) I work for a private security company as well as being a reservist in the US military.

6. nightowl

nightowl Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF ! :cool:

By the way, during a true emergency, anyone can use a Ham radio to seek or offer help. During an emergency, the licensing requirements are waved.

The challenge comes from not knowing how to use the equipment, how far you're broadcasting, how to locate & use repeaters, and the height/ratio of antennas for broadcasting effectively.

So, getting licensed, which isn't hard, is the best way to get the info & practice you need to effectively communicate during that emergency.

One caveat, for those that like to keep a low profile. The address you put on the application, which is where your license will be mailed, becomes public information. Thus, a mail drop box is advised.

Sorry to sidetrack, welcome to the Forum, and, as mentioned, pics would be great! What kind of bag or bags do you store this in?

:cool:

ran23, kd7dvd and Kripto like this.
  7. edcguy

edcguy Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info, I'll probably get my license when the test is offered in my area.

I currently rotate this kit between a Condor molle bag and the standard LA Police Gear mobile bag.
    I'll post a picture as soon as I can, I'm traveling at the moment and didn't bring my good camera. Stay Tuned!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. edcguy

edcguy Empty Pockets

I'll also use an old LA Police Gear Bailout bag occasionally, but if the situation calls for a low profile bag, I'll use a common Jansport backpack. Not many people tend to notice these bags.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited by edcguy, Jul 6, 2013
  9. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

What an awesome post. You mentioned several things I'm interested in researching further. Thanks for sharing.

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My Dad dropped behind the lines in WWII twice, and did a few things now and then after the war. He was 99% of the time a dad who got up and went to work at a garage, went to little league games, worked church bingo, etc. Every few years he took a weird vacation of sorts. My uncle kept having "heart attacks," and my dad would go to nurse him back to health. No one believed it for a second.

He had a similar kit, but it included his wireless kit from the war. A small telegraph key, a long wire antennae, and a folding bicycle crank to power it. He used to run the wire across the back fence, and strap the key to his thigh, and sit in a chair and pedal the generator thing with a little set of headphones on. It was like a complicated dance watching him.

Sent by Owl Post

ran23, Rusty412, ManVsLawn and 8 others like this.
  11. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Is this Gecko45???

tradja, joeyontz, Cheeser and 17 others like this.
  12. nightowl

nightowl Loaded Pockets

Lol :cool:

KODIAKman likes this.
  13. JP5

JP5 Loaded Pockets

What about a smoke grenade to create a distraction when the Stasi track you down?

kikaida and edcguy like this.
  14. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

Your personal recommendations on the cell phone jammer, bolt cutters and bug detectors would be appreciated.

15. edcguy

edcguy Empty Pockets

These are the bolt cutters in my kit :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPXHXE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's not great, but for $11 you can't go wrong.

I got my cheapo bug detector here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RSH6NG/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Once again, not great, but it works. When I bought it it was only $5. I see that it has more than doubled.

I picked up my jammer on a business trip, but you can find good ones at: www.cellmobilephonejammer.com

Of course, be sure to check your local laws regarding the above equipment.

16. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

17. southpier

southpier Loaded Pockets

did I miss knife & flashlight?

Varmitslayer likes this.
  18. edcguy

edcguy Empty Pockets

Sharp eye! No, I don't carry a dedicated knife or flashlight in this bag. I usually keep those in a separate pocket in my backpack.
    Though I will sometimes throw in a Swiss Army Knife, just for fun.

19. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

youre in NC?

very interesting post
    if youre in a position like yours then I guess this is all quite normal - for the other 99% of us, some of the things seem...odd ha
    but its interesting to see what different jobs require!

20. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

Nah. The subtle use of a NC map in the photo combined with mention of Raleigh, NC in his profile is to throw us off. He's nowhere near NC...

:D

ShadowE and Tony D. like this.