1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Jacket advice??

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by TangoMike, Jan 19, 2015.

1. DavidPackham

DavidPackham Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Although San Diego has a reputation for fair weather, it can get a bit chilly now and then, and this jacket has done the trick for 12 years!

kikaida and Southpaw like this.
  2. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

While the quality of the Columbia isn't equal to Arc'Teryx, it's fine for its price point. Most people don't use gear hard enough to warrant the cost of gear like A'T.

c99camper likes this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I think my Barbour jacket is gorgeous....but I don't wear it much anymore. I love the way it looks and the way it performs in heavy rain. I really don't like wearing it, though.

The sleeves are unlined, and that waxed cotton is a bit ridiculous.

I heard nothing but good things from a lot of people and think it's the best looking piece of clothing I own, but honestly, I wouldn't buy it again.

It worked great in the UK. Here in GA, it's style over substance and there are dozens if not hundreds of jackets that perform better for a fourth of the cost, perhaps ignoring the risk from embers.

I'm probably going to have a tailor put a liner in the sleeves, because as is...I don't really want to wear it again, and I spent a good bit of our honeymoon trying to find it and a good bit of money buying it.

4. dragonbeat

dragonbeat Loaded Pockets

Nope I can understand that but you certainly don't have to spend a fortune on separate jackets to get a better set up than a 3in1 I'd take the REI revelcloud and a rainshell over a Columbia 3in1 it would probably cost you about $250-$300 and last you a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c99camper likes this.
  5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Have you worn a Whirlybird 3-in-1 with the Omni Heat technology? I have a jacket similar to the Revelcloud, but better, and it comes nowhere close to providing the same amount of warmth as the Whirlybird when combined with a rain shell.

If you live in a mild climate, a lightweight down mid-layer and a rain/hard shell will probably suffice but I'm frequently out in sub 0° F temps for hours at a time. Omni Heat works as well as anything I've found.

6. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

The Epsilon LT from Arc'Teryx is :censored: near perfect as a 3 season jacket in the PNW. It is light enough that I don't overheat too bad when walking/hiking around and can shed wind/rain on days when I get caught out without my rain shell. I've had mine for 2 years and even with every day wear in fall and spring, it is barely showing wear.

[​IMG]

7. Evan03

Evan03 Loaded Pockets

This is the Coat I got recently, in the UK at an Outlet was £300 now £85.
    Seems very good and pleased with it.
    It is a Musto Mawson Jacket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lel'd

sk33tr likes this.
  8. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

nice! looks warm and comfy.

9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Scottevest. Cool stuff.

10. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

I've got two 3-in-1 type jackets, a The North Face Evilution and the new Carhartt Woodward quick duck parka.

The Carhartt blitzes the TNF in all respects, and I can only echo the earlier poster's comments about QD being some sort of sorcery. It's treated with Carhartt's 'rain defender' coating, and water rolls right off, horse slobber and mud wipe of without trace but the cost doesn't have that usual waterproof 'plastic' feeling -- it feels like canvas cotton.

The zipper is a beefy ykk with a bottom zip too, so you can 'do your business' in a hedge without opening the coat from the top and letting the warm air out. The pockets are perfection (google it for the specs). The liner is really comfy over a t-shirt.

My only complaint is that the liner and she'll both have hoods (outer one is removable like on most Carhartts) but there's nothing keeping them together -- no Velcro or snaps) -- so you have to raise/lower them individually, and they don't sit exactly the same behind your head (one is canvas, one is stuffed, insulated poly like a TNF down vest). Otherwise, it's just awesome.

11. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

You could always have a tailor or seamstress put snaps on it or sew on some Velcro if you don't want to do it yourself. It wouldn't cost much but it's not as daunting a DIY task as you'd think either.

12. Schaferhund

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated! If I added any stitching, would I be risking making it less water-resistant, do you think? I don't have Carhartt's coating to apply afterwards. Perhaps I'm overthinking it!

13. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

I use 5.11 3 in 1 parka. Tbh i've only ever used both fleece inner jkt and outer jkt a few times as together they are very warm. Mostly use the outer with a seperate thinner fleece that is'nt zipped in and that works well. The outer has never let me down in even the heaviest rain and it was brought around 2005.

14. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Probably not a huge deal unless it rains like it's coming out of a fire hose. Water/rain proofing sprays and detergents are available at most good camping goods stores or online. Do some Google-fu, read up on it, and you'll see. Easy to do but follow the directions.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

15. thegaijin

thegaijin Loaded Pockets

My scottevest is going strong 3 yrs on

16. thegaijin

thegaijin Loaded Pockets

My fave is my Barbour Beaufort. Will last longer than me.

Froley likes this.
  17. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't count on that. My gauge tailored is missing a couple snaps and needs to be repaired again. At this rate. Within a few years, I'll have paid for another one.

Seriously, it's one of the most disappointing things I've bought. Maybe I just got a lemon.

18. Schaferhund

Thanks again! I had some Velcro sewn into the internal cuff of the shell and the external cuff of the liner... a seamstress did it for £5 for me, and it looks factory. This is now pretty close to being my perfect heavy jacket. The seamstress actually commented on the quality of it when I picked it up -- gotta love Carhartt.

19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

You're welcome!

I like solutions that let you adapt gear to your needs/wants, that are cheap, and that help out local folks. You got all three going for you.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

20. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

Arktis waterproof smock, solid piece of kit.