1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ITS Tactical - Messenger Bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by oneisnone, Aug 15, 2011.

1. oneisnone

oneisnone Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with ITS and thier bags. It looks solid and well built may serve multiple purposes for me. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

ill tel you it looks over priced..

3. oneisnone

oneisnone Loaded Pockets

I understand what you are saying. However, I have bought a few bags that were handmade in the US, using good materials and they are a great value. REDOXX is a good example. Everyone has a slightly different angle when it comes to gear. Working in finance, I could carry this type of bag for business and outdoors as well. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with the company and the bag. Thanks for your time.

4. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

I was in the mood to buy a messenger bag and liked the ITS bag but like FireFighterMark said, this is way over priced. Even if it is made in the US, I personally think they are still over charging.

5. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

It's actually made by Zulu Nylon. They have another messenger style too.

6. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

To those who say it is overpriced bear in mind the amount of work that goes into that particular bag. I build custom gear and I can tell you with confidence that the margin on that bag is very low, most custom builders end up paying themselves about $8 to $10 an hour if they are lucky. Zulu Gear is a small shop, they have to build the bag and leave enough margin to pay themselves and give ITS a cut for selling it.

To the OP Zulu is some of the best custom gear you can find. As a fairly new to the game builder I know what they put in to their gear and frankly if I had something I needed and it was beyond my skill I would hire them in a second to build it. A less tangible issue is their design work, they are a super creative outfit that constantly comes up with new ideas. If the $350 is livable buy it and you will have a bag for life.

7. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

I am looking at this rig. It does seem pricey but when I think what I happily spend on knives its entirely reasonable. Plus if you consider what you pay for leather gear from the likes of Saddleback it seems fair. YES, its nylon not leather but to my mind I would much rather have nylon for a bag of this type. Why? Well, a) it is far lighter and less bulky b) it is water resistant c) it wont attract the attention of potential luggage thieves. I think most of the work that goes into making a bag of this type is the sewing and there is a LOT of sewing involved in this set-up. That said, I will compare it directly with its main competitor the Emdom TNT, which is a fair bit cheaper. I suspect either one will be more than enough to last a lifetime!

8. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

You do know that Emdom produce overseas, right? Emdom has good products but their prices are cheaper because they manufacture in Hong Kong.

Personally I don't know what to think about the Zulu Nylon Messenger bags. They are a bit over designed in my opinion. I'd prefer something like this:
    http://www.mountainridgegear.com/products/Tactical-Messenger-Bag.html
    But if you're into messenger bags and have the money for one, go for it. They put a lot of thought into the design and making them must be a pain in the rear so they definitely deserve to get paid for that.

9. Buffalohump

Nope I was not aware of that. It will not affect my decision though. I own Maxpedition gear so it would be a bit hypocritical of me to cross Emdom off the list for that reason.

10. oneisnone

oneisnone Loaded Pockets

I agree with a lot of what has been offered here. I have a Saddleback Wallet and love it. Their bags are works af art, but I don't need or want a bag that looks nice ove the functionality. Have carried a Tumi for more than 15 years, still going strong but a bit bigger than I need anymore and the big pocket pouches are now stuffed with Maxpeds so that I can stay somewhat organized. I am not overly crazy about the messenger bag style and am still looking; it will however bridge the gap between the professional and personal on a day to day basis without making sacrifices or looking like an operator when seeing clients.
    I too have and do buy gear that is manufactured elsewhere, but know that there is a trade off between "price" and "value"

Synaptic Misfire - do you know if Zulu would customize bags with some but not all of those features?

11. Buffalohump

I was just watching a review of this bag again and one thing I dont get is the obsession with nalgene pockets. I mean, on a hiking bag I can dig it, but this thing is intended for urban use surely, so why the need to carry TWO bottles of water? Lugging around two litres of water in a messenger bag will likely result in a crooked spine in short order.

Why not make one pocket a zippered one as a dedicated pocket that could be of real use, like for a re-usable shopping bag or two or a raincoat or whatever the case may be?

12. oneisnone

oneisnone Loaded Pockets

Thats one of the things that I would change for sure. Thats why I wondered if they did custom work, perhaps redesign that bag in some ways to fit others prefs. I was going to contact them this afternoon. I will let you know what they say.

13. Buffalohump

Thanks... appreciate it!

14. Freyth

Freyth Empty Pockets

I asked ZuluNylon gear directly and they said that customisation of the ITS messenger bag was not possible. Joel from Zulu only does tweaks/ ustomisation on gear that he sells directly on his website.

15. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Yep, ITS most likely has some clause in the contract preventing this and rightly so. It would be detrimental to their sales.

16. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I can tell you that I really enjoy the dual stuff pockets because of their versatility. One, of course, is always used for a water bottle. The other one I enjoy using as flex space. I can, on most bags, tuck it in tight when not in use. But then when I buy a drink (sports, energy, juice, whatever), I can tuck it there. Or I can stuff a dripping wet umbrella or rain shell there until I get somewhere I can hang it to dry properly. It's mostly just nice having a large open pocket on my bag, a sort of third hand to hold things at times.

And of course, though I don't, a lot of people use the second for radios.

17. oneisnone

oneisnone Loaded Pockets

Looks like a few people were in touch with Joel this week, I was as well. The I like idea of "custom designing" a bag that will fit more of my EDC needs. Anyone who has ever had clothing, house or any project to their specs knows that it is an investment and winds up paying for itself manytimes over. That being said, I now have this idea planted in my head and am going to run with it. My thoughts are to end with something that: has a wide range of uses - from office to field, is made of the best materials, with great design. Anyone have an interest in collaboration to spec out a multi purpose bag? If so let me know and we can start a new thread.

18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Saddleback Thin Briefcase for some time now and I really do love it, but my needs have changed. I have to carry more stuff to and from the office. That combined with the overall heavy weight of the leather made me decide to look elsewhere for a new bag. I ended up buying the CPA briefcase from RedOxx. This is my second purchases, the first was a ruck sack. Like that bag, the CPA briefcase is top notch.

I love messenger bags and I like the looks of the Zulu/ITS Tactical. I wouldn't mind a custom bag from them. In fact, I'd take the ITS Tactical bag with a delete of the shock cord on the bottom, delete or elasticize the top of the nalgene pockets, and line the inside orange to make it easy to see. Oh, the strap looks like it would suck so there would need to be a change there for me as well.

Oh, I did alter my RedOxx CPA briefcase slightly by replacing the too short shoulder strap with a carbon black leather strap for a Saddleback Thin Briefcase. Now I think I have my perfect bag and I've had a lot of positive comments about it in the office. (NOTE: POSITIVE comments).

19. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

I would like a bag that is really water resistant,that is designed with carrying guns and accessories in mind. Tom Bihn uses zippers that are water resistant, but their bags are not what I need. I like the High Speed Gear bags for pistol carry, but they are not as water resistant as I would like. I would also like it to be covert,no external MOLLE,or velcro patch fields.

20. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

I would like a bag that is really water resistant, that is designed to carry laptops and papers in mind. ITS Tactical uses zippers that are water resistant, but theri bags are not what I need. I like Tom Bihn bags for laptop carry, but they are not as organized as I would like. I would also like it to be modular, with external MOLLE, but no velcro patch fields.

Design by committee rarely works well.