1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ITS Tactical EDC Trauma kit, any users?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Gray29, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

Anyone own or carry one of these vacuum sealed wallet sized trauma kits? I'm interested in one but they're pretty pricey for what they are. Anything similar out there for less cash?

2. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm thinking of making my own....(once I buy a vacuum seal machine)

Another option you could look at is a Triple 7 Gear pouch and self stock it

3. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Would a ziplock bag not suffice? ;)

hal_chase likes this.
  4. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nope...too much flapping, falling around...flat and tight FTW :p

Vacuum Sealed stuff is the way forward for 'just in case' stuff that doesn't require regular access, plus its waterproofed.

Cheeser likes this.
  5. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I've not tried them for a med-kit but ziploc puts out a series of bags with a one way air valve and a little hand pump to seal them up. Use them all the time for excess spear fishing catch and they are fantastic. Plus, they are fantastically resealable. Might be a much thriftier option (not to mention take up less counter space) for someone who has only infrequent sealing requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacrawshaw, Gray29 and hal_chase like this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I've looked at those kits. The quick-clot (or whatever brand) bandages are just expensive. There are similar packaged kits on amazon without them for like $10 or so.

I've thought about putting one of the its kits in my range bag and putting the others in my edc bag, car, etc.. But, I want to do some trauma first aid training first.

Gray29 likes this.
  7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Not to start a bun fight here, and I acknowledge up front that training is extremely important and no one should be attempting procedures they have no idea how to perform, but there is some rational for carrying gear you are not trained to use.

Devine Providence, dumb luck, serendipity... I don't care what you call, but when bad things happen, often times there will be someone who is trained and can respond, but isn't equipped.

The classic example is coming across a traffic accident where some of the first unofficial responders will be doctors, nurses, EMTs, firefighters or cops who do not carry trauma gear in there trunks. When someone who is not quite as trained- maybe someone who only has basic first aid and CPR training- says to the trained and under equipped people, "Hey, I've got kit", lots of good can come from that chanced meeting.

And while you may not know how to insert a decompression needle into someone's chest, items like compression bandages and tourniquets are not difficult to use. Take that stuff out and practice with it. First aid isn't rocket science.

Again, training and stress inoculation will be a huge benefit in an emergency as will be the right supplies, so amass all of that stuff as you can. Just don't not carry something that might be needed because you don't know how to use it.

As to the original question, in terms of cost and utility, it is almost always better to build your own. I wrote about it here.

8. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes and its much cheaper :)

The Dark Angel and ITS stuff is very neat but its pricey.

I'd add some BooBoo bits to it as well and it'll double/triple up as an IFAK/Trauma/Blow Out kit. Pack it flat and it'll also fit in a cargo (shock, horror THC :rofl:) leg pocket.

Gray29 and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. nitaliano

nitaliano Loaded Pockets

I have been very happy with every single product I have gotten with ITS, and their customer service is absolutely fantastic. I can't speak to this particular product since I don't have it, but they make and sell quality gear.

mlp2147, firemedic183 and Gray29 like this.
  10. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

I've always made my own FAK's but in this case I'm not sure I could do a better job. I do not have the ability to vacuum seal anything and I doubt I could fit anything more than they have and still have it be pocketable.

Other than the price my concern is the durability of the packaging. Could it handle being carried in a back pocket all day everyday and not be damaged? They do sell separately a nylon pouch to put it in to protect it from puncture but with that option the price is around $95 for a one time use kit.

hal_chase likes this.
  11. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

USNERDOC packages his AMP3 IFAK kits in aLOKSAK bags....looks like a pretty good package

hal_chase likes this.
  12. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I made my own pocket trauma kit with our FoodSaver. I have better supplies in the bag, but this kit is always on my person. It is seen here on the top left:

[​IMG]

• Pocket Trauma Kit
      • Nitrile Gloves
      • SWAT-T Tourniquet
      • Krinkle Gauze
      • Emergency Blanket

hal_chase and T.H.Cone like this.
  13. RoisonDubh

RoisonDubh Loaded Pockets

I bought their boo-boo kit and its pretty nice. You are paying for packaging and convenience, but I'm used to that. Haven't pulled the trigger on the EDC one yet.

Gray29 likes this.
  14. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I ended up buying a couple of them. One lives in my range bag, the other lives in my edc bag in the nylon pouch that comes with it and then in a pocket. It's a tight fit, but it works.

I haven't had to use them yet, but I'm happy to pay the premium rather than buy a vacuum sealer. Unfortunately, they do have expiration dates, so it's not a 1-time purchase. Still probably worth it.

15. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

How long is it good for? Is it comfortable to carry in a back pocket like a wallet?