1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"It's dangerous to go alone. Take this."

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Lorenzo, Oct 4, 2009.

1. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

yeah i would love a couple blades like those they look realy great for the price you paid!

2. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I like it for an EDC kit for my wife.
    I have been trying to keep our vehicles stocked with essentials, funny how often a can of bug spray is needed, or a moist wipe.

I'm trying to get her to understand the next step, in case of emergency and your away from the vehicle, a couple of small items may come in handy to get you out of a building with say power failure.

3. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

What's a bic so susceptible to? Right now I went, dunked one in a cup of water and then spent half a minute shaking and clicking it. It lit, after a few attempts and unkind words :evil:.
    J.S.Burley lists Peanuts as sold out at the moment, and I don't remember how much were they. Countycomm had Split Pea at $11.95 which is :rolleyes: Must get me a bunch of stuff off dealextreme.

Knife at about $3, a Bic and a Fauxton with keyring at $1 each , two inches of paracord and tape for free - it's a giaveaway kit and exercise in EDC frugality at once!

I'm really fond of small fixed blades of this general size; right now I have those two, another "Pirat" that is a rather faithful copy of Cold Steel ParaEdge clip point (sure it's simple 440 not AUS8, handle not kraton and sheath not kydex but simple plastic) and a real ParaEdge "dagger" that was the first in this style I found. Laid out together those four look nice.

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I actually do not like the peanut lighters as popular as they were.

5. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Maybe there needs to be a modification to the design. I like that it sits on my spare key-chain and awaits my need to burn stuff (not arson!!).
    So far, profanity makes it work when it sits a while without use.

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

It will no longer be a peanut lighter, then. If they added everything that's missing to it, it'll grow into a coconut pretty soon!

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I actually have more of the lighters. I just need to find the box.

What I don't like about them is the o-ring is fragile, it can also roll up making for a poor seal. I have seen the striker assembly give with a bit of rough handling.

I might be a little tainted by backpacking with bic's. They generally work after they dry but I like to be able to get flame while it is still raining.

8. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I should have said I don't know anything about the peanut lighters in my last post.

I'm with Jon, if it's drizzling/raining out, your only going to get so many chances to get something lit with a bic. I had seen the peanuts on the site and thought they might be an alternative, simply because of the cap.

With all the 'restrictions'(cost, ease of use, and size) I think the kit is pretty much perfect for it's purpose.

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I think it is a fantastic idea, a handy way to try and help out others if trouble arises, and also a handy way to get them to bugger off and stop annoying you for your blade ;)

Your choices also seem pretty sound as well - I would definitely agree about the Bic - it is about as close to universal as you will get, pretty reliable and much easier for someone to use than something like a firesteel if they are not already experienced in how to make fire. Other options may be more resistant to the wet or reliable in extreme conditions, but those options all come with a price in either money or simplicity which is not hat this kit is aimed at.
    It is based on cheap equipment, so I would make sure to check it is all working regularly and that problems haven't cropped up in the bic or light or the blade has rusted.

I would also probably add a whistle to it too - a cheap and easy signalling device, and something very handy in the exact situation this handout kit is designed for. Stick everything in a small pencil case or pouch of some form and you (or more accurately those you are with) should be set.

10. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

For some reason I'm thinking that at some point, somewhere, I have seen a version of the lighter holder that is completely seal..one piece...made of rubber and it has a "loop" built into it....what if you took one of those and put it on the business end of the lighter? That way it would effectively waterproof the lighter and still give you a way to carry it? I know it's meant for the bottom of the lighter, obviously for ease of use, but if it's being stored then you won't really be using it everyday.....

I will try to find it and see if it will work....

All in all, I like the idea of te kit as a "Here, take this....now leave me alone...." type of kit...

11. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I understand what kind of holder you mean, but I'm afraid that pushing it down onto the business end will depress the lever! There are other holders like this one here but frankly it's not better than a foot of tape and two inches of paracord.

12. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

13. SF1

SF1 Banned

The one thing I do not carry is a whistle. I was given an atwood ti whistle, and gave it to my teen daughter, she lost in her college dorm. I gave it away simply because I had no use for it.

14. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

The knives remind me of those sold in the BudK catalog.
    I bought a couple to drop in toolboxes,etc. and found out they're pretty durable!
    Think they're listed as neck knives.
    Possibly the best $3 knives I've ever bought!
    About once a year,BudK sells simple Cordura sheathes-dirt cheap.
    Which is what I was buying when I added the little funny knives to my order. ;)

----Gnarly :evilgrin:

15. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Well, Lorenzo. Such cheap (inexpensive kit) is more useful than you think . Not onl;y as a gift in times of need but really can be used as a backup to backup kit in case of emergencies where you lose everything or where you are separated from your serious stuff.. or even if the rainstorm goes on longer than expected and you need more preparedness stuff

Here is an article about disposable caches where you can put a buch of inexpensive or old/retired stuff to use by storing them somewhere (just in case).

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/disposablecachelrrp.htm

So, if I had my favorite fishing/hunting/camping spot, I would bury a kit like this there for additional security in unexpected emergencies. If someone finds it well, it didn't cost a million dollars.

BTW, if you dont like digging and burying, i am sure you can find alternatives like putting under a pile of rocks behind some shrubs. So don't let the word 'burying' scare you.

Actually most of my hidden and disposable stashes are in URBAN settings ( office locker ..etc. ) I have a few flashlights ..etc. and in case of emegency I am going to give them to my closeset work buddies who I know don't have any preparedness whatsover.

16. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I was at a fair this weekend, and bought usual fair fare (cottonwool candy, lollipops, this kind of junk) for kids. And they had some kind of noxiously colored pellet candy-or-was-it-gum packed in clear plastic tubes that kids seemed to want most of all. Tubes were capped by a single-molded whistle - surprisingly shrill and loud for its "price", it turned out, when they started whistling :evil:
    So I was left with three very compact (pencil-thin and some two inches long) thingies that I outfitted with duct tape and paracord loops, same as lighters, and added to those sets. Sure I'd be on the lookout for "real" whistles, but those are much better than nothing.

17. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Excellent idea. How about adding a small wind-up radio to get information
    in an emergency? Or at least a miniature radio with a long-shelf-life Lithium
    battery?

Oh yeah, if you include a lighter you need fire starting materials in
    a small keychain spy capsule.

18. sculptormills

sculptormills Empty Pockets

I have been thinking about this post all day as I try and teach one of my interns how to use a utility knife to open packages without cutting herself or damaging the contents of the box. The problem as I see it is that survival items are useless and even dangerous without knowledge. You and I may be able to start a fire to stay warm with a lighter, a magnesium fire starter or a Swedish fire starter but only because we have taken the time to learn how. Someone untrained is just as likely to start a forest fire as they are to get a successful fire to keep warm with. Someone who is not good with their hands will likely cut themselves and be in worse shape than they started with if they don't know how to safely use a knife.

I am sure we all have friends who, if they get a flat tire, the only thing they can do is call someone to help them, even though there is a perfectly good jack, spare tire and instructions on how to use it included with practically every car made. As members of EDC Forums, it goes against our nature to be helpless and dependent on others, but there are plenty of people out there who are perfectly fine with it. I don't think giving them the physical tools to survive would do any good without giving them the knowledge to use them.

19. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Well there's one thing I know for sure - women that do cooking on a regular basis are much more skilled with knives and fire, at least in regards of avoiding hurt from those, than the average male ;) so there's a lot of people that can be trusted.

20. RAAG

RAAG Loaded Pockets

While a knife is surely useful, there are so many places that no longer permit you to carry one, that they are likely to either get left behind or cause your recipient a hassle when they forget they have it and try to go through security at airports, public buildings, etc. Even more so for a fixed blade.

I'd think that a AAA flashlight like the Maratec AAA or similar that puts out enough light to really light your way out of a building or airplane in the event of a power failure or worse, a loud whistle, some pepper spray if permitted in your jurisdiction, and perhaps some electrical or gaffer's tape would be a better choice and all (except the pepper spray) can generally go wherever without a problem.

Dick