1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

It's a Sickness

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Dirty Rod, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Way back when I got into guns and started carrying I went through the buying phase and ended up with a safe full of guns but eventually paired down to guns I shoot often, really like, or have a purpose.

About a year ago I got into knives and ended up moving from a drawer full of cheap knives to Spyderco and Benchmade and never looked back.

Recently I fell into a whole new hell - multitools. For that last 25 years I've had my little Swiss Army knife and a $4 multitool in my shooting bag and was perfectly content. In the 6 months since I've discovered this forum I've blossomed to 2 Swiss Army knives, Leatherman Wave and ST3, a Gerber, Keybar, and I've been spending time looking at TTIs, SOG, and 10 other things. Most of the ones I own have yet to do more than cut a piece of paper.

Is there a pill for this?

2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes, stop working and there you go, no money, no problems (about this stuff, but more problems in life :)), something like in my case. Or at least start selling/trading knives/guns/multitools. I honestly have around 20 knives, but 'need' only 4-5 of them, more than 10 flashlights, only need 3-4 of them, 2 full sized multitools witch I think is enough and not off the 'limit'. In my country there's no market for this stuff, you can count on your fingers how many people there are who like stuff like I do, but those are not buying knives that are modded, resharpened many times etc. and the living standard here is very low so an average Joe won't give more than a $5 for a flashlight or a knife, so I have a problem too, mine is now 'Where will I throw these knives/flashlights that I don't use?'. As I said, your best thing is to start selling/trading stuff if you have market there.

3. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Some call it GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), some call it SKS (Shiny Kit Syndrome)...

I was doing okay 'til I met this bunch of enablers! :rolleyes:

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Just stay off the Internet!

(good luck with that!)

Moshe ben David

5. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

OMG - I forgot all about the flashlights! Fortunately, like the guns, I was able to stop myself before I ran out of living space. I have a Surefire in every car, specific rooms, and an EDC since I tend to walk at night and my only problem now is the volume of batteries I go through.

IHateBottleOpeners,
    Fortunately there is a market in my area. I sold probably 25-30 guns way back when, was able to find buyers for most of those cheap knives or gave them away, and I'm sure there are plenty of Leatherman and Swiss lovers around ..... whenever I get over this new affliction.

PragmatiMurphyist,
    Thank you for the diagnosis.

6. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Whatever you do, stay away from the traditional folders thread.. It's bad enough with the SAK's and multitools, You don't want that infection too. And be careful around Opinels :D

7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

You'll be okay so long as you don't find out about the limited edition designs Victorinox do each year for the Classics.

:cool:

Tom A Hawk likes this.
  8. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Stay away from stuff made of copper (especially flashlights).
    There has to be something in copper that makes it worse.
    And definitely don't get into modification.
    There is no cure; I've had it since I was a kid.

9. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

GAS-Cu (Copper subcategory) is dangerously contagious, you catch it like heroin addiction so the incubation is psychological but the full soma is soon physically compulsive.

Do not, i repeat - NOT - venture into the lands of tactical pants. You buy one innocuous pair and all of a sudden you're sighing and whining if you need to wear regular jeans. The only option is to admit catching Ninjaris Mallus. You can hide it for a while but in the end you'll be no better off than people who wear sweatpants 24/7 with no shame. ;)

10. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Thus far, I've added limited edition Victorinox, SAKs, Opinels, and tactical pants to my list and have three other confirmed illnesses.

I better start looking for that second job ...

Tom A Hawk, baccar-3, 313 and 2 others like this.
  11. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Be sure to stay away from organizers and bags also.

There is a Bagaholics thread around here if you need enabl- i mean support.

Dirty Rod, Tom A Hawk and 313 like this.
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Go volunteer 4-6 hours at your local homeless shelter. Just did 5 this past weekend in a big West coast city. That should put things in perspective when you see the sight of a 5-YO wrapping her shoes in tin foil she picked-up from the trash bin to keep her toes from scrapping the pavement. I gave her a roll of duct tape.

Mumbojumboo, Silverj53 and Tom A Hawk like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

:rofl_revamped:

Just wait until you start cruising the Little Knives thread. Between that one, the traditional folders thread, and the SAK yearly limited editions, you won't have to worry about your budget. Guaranteed you'll destroy it early in the first quarter of every year! :rolleyes_revamped:

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist and 313 like this.
  14. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Oniomania. (Compulsive Buying Disorder). Pills may help if the reason behind your excessive buying is untreated depression. Cognitive and behavioral therapy seems to be the standard approach, though.

15. Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk Loaded Pockets

I'm definitely a bagaholic, 12 & counting. Knives & flashlights are approaching the support group level as well. I recently had a wallet blowout & decided to make my own. The fourth one came out great - I can't keep it full due to contracting leatherworkitis. This is a whole new level of addiction because it requires tools...I'm hopeless.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  16. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I work for a non-profit healthcare organization and I do 2-3 hours a month at the local food bank and 2 weekends a year setting up computer systems at a local school.

Definitely gives you perspective.

0dBm and Tom A Hawk like this.
  17. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

It is not a sickness! It's the cure for what is happening to modern society! (No need to go full on prepper end of the world Yada yada) but from what I've seen your average edcer could at least change a car tyre or bandage a sprain without calling an ambulance.

18. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

While working with kids with all sorts of "disorders"; I brought in some of my tools to show them; they were so interested that I was asked to start a class teaching the use of tools. The joy of theses kids was overwhelming.
    Feed hungry minds; the results are fantastic.
    EDC is the cure.

19. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

A few weeks ago back in June I bought my first copper flashlight, Lumintop Prince copper (18650 battery) with carbon fiber wrap. Now I am awaiting delivery of my second copper flashlight, Lumintop Worm in billet copper (AAA battery). Last night online I was looking at a MecArmy FFX Beta copper bead with 6 nitrite tubes to match up with my soon to arrive copper worm flashlight as they are the same diameter and would compliment each other.

The addiction begins...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

This saves me money. Cars... now, that gets expensive!