1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

IT BIT ME!! (Did you cut yourself today?)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SAKplumber, Aug 4, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Jup. You were stupid...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

BLJace and That Movie Guy like this.
  2. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

But what knife or implement caused the damage?

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

BLJace and A.B. like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

A sharp one...

Moshe ben David and BLJace like this.
  4. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

So, while we all know not to try and grab a knife that is falling. Sometimes reaction takes over. I used to have a CRKT Hootenanny, very fine knife for the price for those interested. However i was opening it, i didn't have a proper grip and it slipped. I reached to grab it, not paying attention that it had partially opened and managed to catch a nice meaty part of my hand through the blade as it hit the table.

Like I said :) stupid lesson learned.

5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This happened earlier today, but it wanted to start bleeding again.
    [​IMG]

Lateck and BLJace like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@SOS24: I may be wrong, but I think you're the first one I've seen on here bitten by a SAK?

Hey, everyone deserves some sort of claim to fame! :)

L'chaim! Heal well!

Moshe ben David

BLJace and SOS24 like this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

drew some blood last week. Got a new sharpener and was better at it than I expected. When I was finished sharpening I gently wiped metal residue from the side of the blade, but it was so insanely (and unexpectedly) sharp that it was able to snag my skin from just the slightest contact with the edge.
    It was a happy sad moment. Happy to get such a great result on my first try, sad to still feel like an amateur when I had to patch up my finger.

Moshe ben David and BLJace like this.
  8. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

Complacency is a killer. Be careful.

9. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

This begs the question of which sharpener delivered these glorious if unexpected results?

Moshe ben David, BLJace and A.B. like this.
  10. aicolainen

I had to look that up. Wise words, but not an accurate description of what happened here.
    There was insufficient awareness, absolutely. However I was unaware of my success until after the fact, so my unawareness was caused by not believing I could produce such results without more training and experience, rather than being overly self-content.

BLJace likes this.
  11. aicolainen

Ha ha. Glorious. I don't know about that. Unexpected certainly.
    Before my less than stellar English and the unlimited possibility of misunderstandings that could be caused by the Internet that divides us, sends us down the road of total confusion, I should probably bring readers of this thread up to speed and make it very clear that I'm just getting into sharpening. This, for me, surprising result was produced with my newly acquired Worksharp, sharpening a traditional Norwegian knife. My only previous sharpening experience before this was just a few sessions with the Spyderco sharpmaker, which I'm still tweaking to get satisfactory results on the harder steels. The plan is really to get a KME system, but I have a few fixed blades that really sees some rough use. These all have, or could just as well get a convex grind. With the KME not being readily available around here, I wanted something suitable for these knives, that really needed more maintenance than I have been able to provide up until now. These are hard use tools that I just need to get a good working edge on without spending a lot of time to get there. So that was really what I was hoping to get with the Worksharp after some practice. I never expected hair popping, paper slicing, finger bleeding results on my first take.
    So, not to ruin the excitement, but there is no new and amazing sharpener available. The Worksharp seems to be good, and maybe better than I expected, for what I need it to do, but it leaves much to be desired as a generic knife sharpener. My folders still goes on the sharpmaker if needed, until I can get my hands on a KME that is.

12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

How about free hand sharpening on stones? Ever tried that?

BLJace likes this.
  13. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

As a KME owner i can attest. I am satisfied with my purchase although i did balk at the price a bit. After having used it and come to understand what it is and isn't capable of i would recommend it. I think A.B. is in the right direction though. Nothing compares to free hand sharpening. The KME is nice so long as you can set up and have an area to work. Being able to free hand means you just need the stone. You can do it riding a bike providing you have the balance. Good to go anywhere.

14. aicolainen

Well, I might venture into freehand territory also, it’s a nice skill to have for sure, but I do believe a sharpening system will get me better results faster. If i can find a place to buy it, that is.