1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

IT BIT ME!! (Did you cut yourself today?)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SAKplumber, Aug 4, 2014.

1. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

so with the apple you are supposed to rotate the apple keeping your thumb below the blade so the knife will pass over it not into it if it slips

with a draw cut i keep the blade at my side so if it slips i don't stab my self in the abdomen

the one where i usually get in trouble is a piercing cut and my hand ends up on the other side of the material from the knife

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's how I do it, too. About cutting myself, I think the most times it happens during closing, meaning when I'm just playing with the knives. The last cut I got was from cardboard though, much nastier than any cut from my razor sharp knives :cool:

3. theirishboxer

yea i also want to add that a properly sharp knife is less likely to slip as it takes much less pressure to cut through the material therefor you have more control over the knife, just to emphasize rule 3

4. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

The #1 rule is that if you have to put virtually any effort into using the knife, stop and strop it or sharpen it.

As for people drawing or pulling knives toward them and saying they haven't been cut, the missing word is "yet." You're taking chances as in "I always drive 30 over the limit and I haven't wrecked (yet)." You're the one who's more likely to bleed. Just sayin'.

Can't always teach old dogs new tricks but they still know how to bite.

5. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't think cutting/peeling an apple if a fair example in cutting towards yourself. When I was a wee lad and my mum taught me how to safely use a knife by whittling a bit, that was the most memorable thing of that whole experience. I too cut myself when I'm being dumb or when I'm playing with a knife. I've seen people use a knife to cut open a box, and slip and have the box cutter jab them in the gut. Seems impossible, but it happens. Cutting away from yourself and having a sharp knife, or really just one of the other, could have prevented that.

6. aliaspostmortem

aliaspostmortem Loaded Pockets

Or even simpler...One can use the protective handle that comes with the kitchen mandolin, which I didn't! :)

/ J

7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Life's full of "Well, I've always done it that way" things but people can learn how not to hurt themselves.

Life's also full of "I've never been hurt doing it" moments. And quite a few instances of "so far."

Must be that most folks these days hate school so much they don't even want to learn from others mistakes.

If you've got parts of you in front of a blade you're doing it wrong.

See if there's a YT video of Julia Child cutting herself while cooking on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. Even she got a nasty cut. SNL had fun with it because it was a "Did even she do something that dumb?" moment. But then again Julia Child was always cool about owning up to her mistakes.

Can't always teach old dogs new tricks but they still know how to bite.

GeneralGlenn and BobsBargains like this.
  8. theirishboxer

worst cut i ever got was from a dull knife, when i was working in the butcher shop, the knifes they provided us were :censored: they would litteraly get dull after 3-4 cuts and we were not provided with any sharpening equipment other than a broken honing steel, i was de-boneing a t-bone cut so we could make strip steaks and the knife slipped and cut my left thumb all the way to the bone.

this was when i started bringing my own cutlery and sharpening equipment to work.

9. sswift

sswift Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My first sharp knife.
    [​IMG]
    Where it got me over 20 years ago.

10. BigKurtHaze
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

BigKurtHaze Loaded Pockets

Practicing left hand Spydie flicking my Bradley Air. That's what you're supposed to do with it, right? Stupid, clumsy left hand deserved it...
    [​IMG]

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Years ago watching a cooking show -- not sure which one but highly likely it was "Yan Can Cook"; guy had a habit of chopping blinding fast in a rhythm and never looking at his work but rather straight into the camera. Anyway, whichever it was, the cook/chef made a point of demonstrating NEVER to hold the food item with fingers outstretched. Rather to sort of curl them down. If you think about it, with the fingers outstretched, all fingers are different lengths and hence cuts are more likely. By curling them down, you reduced this problem significantly. I've used this approach ever since.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Definitely a good method when using larger knives or a cleaver for slicing or dicing. Basically you get used to having your hand curled almost as if you were making a fist. That allows you to safely feed material into the blade with your finger tips while dicing. Your knuckles sort of rest against the blade which almost never comes up very high off the cutting board. The tip of the chefs knife stays on the cutting board. The cutting board should be on top of a clean towel or paper towels so it doesn't move. This method is safer, more comfortable, and fast. Once you've practiced it for awhile it takes a lot of effort to cut yourself.

Sent by throwing some gizmo as hard as I can.

13. theirishboxer

its a pro chef technique, you curl your fingers and move them slightly to push the piece towards the blade while you cut, its a little awkward at first but if you do it right it is nearly impossible to get cut

14. Moshe ben David

oooh. I've learned there is this guy named Murphy, who whenever someone says something is impossible or nearly impossible, takes it as a holy mission to prove otherwise...!

:smug:

15. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I've been using that knife method for a few decades without a cut. So far.

Sent by throwing some gizmo as hard as I can.

16. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Heh, nicked myself with my new SAK just enough to draw a little blood. I guess we're friends now.

M

17. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I haven't cut myself in years and I play with my knives all the time. All my knives either hate me, or are too afraid of me and think I'll cut them back. :devil:

Actually, the last time I was cut it was by a friend/coworker's wedding band. We were practicing non-violent restraint techniques for the behavioral health field and when everybody took jewelry off he figured his simple wedding band wouldn't hurt anyone. Somehow it ended up leaving a rough cut on my finger. Go figure, my knives don't cut me but a smoothed and rounded piece of metal does.

BobsBargains and thePlumbah like this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Seriously mysterious and powerful forces embedded in those wedding bands... one of several reasons I don't wear one, even after 31+ years of being qualified to do so! (My other half doesn't wear hers either... we are definitely not normal...!)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Corgi likes this.
  19. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Yep. Today was the first time. I was cleaning it after I shaved my face with the blade(first time ever, incident free). My thumb slipped up on the blade. It was sharp (duh) and it felt like a paper cut, a bit hard to see since I forced my ol lady grab the camera and snap a picture, much to her dismay. This thread was the first thing I though of, ironically. Lesson learned.

[​IMG]

20. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

The blood in the sink can pass as abstract art. Crop it print it on canvas and you can probably sell it. Then u can buy more sharp objects and continue the vicious bloody cycle.

Sent From Another Dimension

Moshe ben David, Corgi and NelsonIII like this.