1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

IT BIT ME!! (Did you cut yourself today?)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SAKplumber, Aug 4, 2014.

1. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

Decided to strop my Buck 110 awhile ago, to bring it back up to razor sharpness. Just to verify I swiped a bald patch down the side of my leg, golly that's sharp I think to myself.

Then I notice the few hairs on the top of my feet and toes. Shwoop, there the ones on my left foot go, on to the right. Go for the right side and catch the knuckle of my big toe. I didn't think much of it till I saw the blood all over the hardwood floor a few minutes later.

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

My son gave me this little case. I think I gave it to him once, IDK. Anyway, I took this pic after cutting myself with it. These little blades are so small that when I had one open and the other reached the half stop and jerked me into the other blade. Anyway, took a bandaid and took a pic.

[​IMG]

Jedigreedo, Dorian, Nick4305 and 7 others like this.
  3. Mr.Fox

Mr.Fox Loaded Pockets

A day not getting "Bit" is a day well wasted...

GeneralGlenn, madlag, Corgi and 3 others like this.
  4. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

There are many times when I have considered posting in this thread, but I cut myself so often it's not really worth it.

I don't care what they say, a sharp Mini Tuff Lite is a dangerous Mini Tuff lite if you're not careful.

5. madlag

madlag Banned

Yeap that's pretty much where I'm at now. Had one so bad last week I had to super glue it shut. Flipping that Bali is no nonsense business.

Sent from the liberal offender

6. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

madlag bro...ever try a 1 1/2 blade? Cripes man, that's where the bites are!:frantic:
    Be safe BaliBro!

Ben Rubinstein, Corgi, madlag and 2 others like this.
  7. aliaspostmortem

aliaspostmortem Loaded Pockets

Well, I did. Cut myself that is. Not today but the other day in a kind of embarrassing way Not on a knife but on a kitchen Mandoline. Ouch, they are very sharp actually. Part of my fingertip dissappeared...

[​IMG]

Fortunate enough it wasn't too bad and it has healed.

/ J

8. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

As almost always no one ever cuts themselves as often unless it's in front of someone so you get embarrassed as much as possible.

Of course fairly messy cuts tend to happen when your alone, making it a total pain in the rear to get it taken care of and cleaned up. BTW don't use superglue since the stuff you've got probably isn't made for medical use. Well, unless you want an infection plus the regular stuff doesn't work all that well.

Payback karma happens when your spouse laughs at you getting cut and then after you've sharpened a knife, told them about it, AND left a piece of adhesive tape on the handle with these letters in it, "S H A R P" they get cut anyway. Karma is definitely not a one way street but it is another reason why there's so many ex spouses.

No pun intended (well, just one or two maybe) but here's a few tips for saving face:

Playing or training with a balisong? Put some masking/blue painters tape over the edge(s). You'll have less mess to clean up. ("Why didn't I think of that?")

Using sharp knives or a madolin/banjo/slicer in the kitchen? Go to the sporting goods store and get a Kevlar fillet glove AND USE IT. Getting cut in the kitchen with something you've used either only once or a hundred times is embarrassing, messy, and expensive. Plus your blood does not make that expensive dinner taste better unless maybe Dr. Lechter is cooking. Use the glove.

Keeping the glove from getting all gunked up is simple if you pull a nitrile glove over it. This is another one of those "why didn't I think of that?" things. Make sure to get gloves that are made for handling food. If you have trouble finding them check for a restaurant supply store. No, they're not expensive.

Can't always teach old dogs new tricks but they still know how to bite.

9. madlag

madlag Banned

Heheh I'm dangerous with any size blade lol

10. Ben Rubinstein

My wife was going to buy me one of those butchers chainmail gloves until she saw how much they cost.

11. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the chain mail gloves are expensive but they do tend to work. Kevlar gloves cost less and work as well. The only problem I've found is that people don't wear 'em. Must be they like self-sacrifices and adding special sauce to tonight's dinner.

Can't always teach old dogs new tricks but they still know how to bite.

12. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

coming from some one who worked as a butcher, the chain mail gloves reduce your dexterity far to much for what they are worth. kevlar is better and easier to clean as you can just throw them in the wash.

proper knife safety is better than any protective gear tho

13. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

:rofl: Bro I meant a Bali with 1 and a 1/2 sharpened edges!:rofl:

14. madlag

madlag Banned

Lol I know what u meant

15. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Roger that...when you said you're dangerous with any SIZE blade, I thought you took "1 1/2" as the bali blade length. (Sorry, been talking with GeneralGlenn, that's my excuse and i am sticking to it!:rofl: )
    Be safe BaliBro!

16. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

My Military said "Hi!"
    [​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

17. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

Yikes, looks like that one stung a little!

Strangely I only ever seem to get bit by my knives when I first get them. Must be a bonding learning curve? Or recurve in some cases. The worst of which was the first day I got my serrated Shenanigan. I got distracted while closing it and the serrations sliced a chunk down the side of a finger before I felt it.

18. Ben Rubinstein

Yeah it's a love bite when everything is all fresh and new.

GeneralGlenn and BobsBargains like this.
  19. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

it's not really your knife til it has tasted your blood.

for real tho, i think it has to do with each knife being slightly different to handle and until you get used to it you are just slightly more clumsy with it. the only times i have ever cut my self with a knife is when its new or I was doing something I should not have done, which is why I preach knife safety all the time.

rule 1: always be aware of your surroundings.
    rule 2: never cut towards your self. this one is usually the one I end up breaking and hurting my self
    rule 3: maintain your equipment, blades should be sharp screws should be tightened and if anything breaks the knife is no longer safe

20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I never understood this rule I must admit. When you cut an apple and guide the piece with your thumb nothing can happen and the blade will move beside your fingers, still you're cutting towards yourself. Or maybe I got something wrong?
    On job we sometimes cut foam materials with a knife towards ourself, I never saw anyone cut themselves...