1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is your watch a necessary gear item?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by DayPackDeacon, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I also feel naked without my watch on. I love my watches and don't want to be without them. That said, there were days when I take off my watch at night to realize it had stopped sometime the night before. Do I need them? Sometime! Just like the bulk of us here, we have many things around just in case.

GrayMouser and Denim_Chicken like this.
  2. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

Well, they DID introduce the wrist watch during WW1 so that we could check the time fast and easily under any circumstances. My watch can take 200 metres of sea water and a lot more punishment than a smartphone. Battery won't die in a day, and never unexpectedly. With the rotating bezel it's a decent timer/stopwatch. Analog clock face can be used as a compass. And so on and so on.

So yeah, I think it's necessary.

GrayMouser likes this.
  3. Denim_Chicken

Denim_Chicken Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I've forgotten this lil guy a few times and it felt like my whole day was off. It was such an odd feeling. I still look at my watch for time/date even if I'm holding my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howler4 and GrayMouser like this.
  4. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Everyday, all the time.
    Only pice of jewelry I wear.
    [​IMG]

As important to my edc as my wallet, keys or knife.

Sent from my LG-AS991 using Tapatalk

5. DuckySpud

DuckySpud Loaded Pockets

Got to be the most popular watch in the world the F-91W! Had one as a kid, had one as a teenager and got one now. They can take a surprising amount of punishment before they break, but when they do its cheap enough to replace them without worrying about it. An absolute classic!

6. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

I am a lost cause if I forget mine...

Froley and GrayMouser like this.
  7. Denim_Chicken

Denim_Chicken Loaded Pockets

Agreed! Had one when I was very young and never wore one until last year. Pretty sure it was my first piece of my EDC

8. countrydirt

countrydirt Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My newest (to me anyways) Casio WVQ560. Sweet watch.

UmbertoTortallini, 313 and Froley like this.
  9. rolland

rolland Loaded Pockets

For me one it is. I wear an older Pebble and it let's me to check who's calling and to answer the calls without taking the phone out (i wear a bluetooth handsfree also). also it doubles as an activity monitor with step counter and sleep monitor. And it is a convenient music remote for the phone. Waterproof also so i don't have to worry if i take it in the shower. It stays on my hand 4-5 days at the time untill needs another charge and it gets replaced only in the weekend for a nicer Citizen if i have to wear something more casual. I'd attach some pictures but i can't figure them...grrr (have a "Rolex" face for the pebble that i wanted to show it :))

10. Riverghost

Riverghost Loaded Pockets

I'm 52 years old and have been wearing a watch for 46 years. The morning of my first day of 1st grade my father hands me a Timex watch just like what he wore every day....wound up, time set, all ready to go. I knew how to tell time already and when mom took me into the classroom I was the only one out of the 15 or so kids making up the 1st and 2nd grades.....it was a small 3 room country school. The teacher asked me what time it was, I told her and then she said it was time for school to begin. Wasn't very long that most of the kids were wearing watches. Unfortunately I tried to pass on the family tradition to my kids but didn't take. One of my co-workers who has a :censored: (Bachelor of Science) degree in Civil Engineering told me that he wears a watch only because a professor told him it looks professional, but he doesn't rely on it really for telling time.

Last edited by Riverghost, Apr 29, 2016
    Froley and ran23 like this.
  11. scski44

scski44 Loaded Pockets

Started day one of basic training, have been wearing one 24/7 ever since.

Edit: G-Shock for life!

12. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I wear a fitbit so i like to have it on most of the time to record what i'm doing but i wouldn't call it necessary. I don't have it on right now, for instance, because it's charging and it's pretty uncomfortable under my motorbike kit.

I like wearing it but if for whatever reason i couldn't wear it, it doesn't bother me too much. I spend a lot of time with computers and my phone battery will last three days so i'm rarely without a timekeeping device. I have a pretty reliable internal clock anyway.

UmbertoTortallini likes this.
  13. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I wear always a watch when going out of the house. Its part of my core EDC,togeter with my pocketknife. I always need to know what time is it. Its part how i plan and come along with my day. eg. "7.30am i should hurry to catch the bus...12am,i think i should eat something..." "15PM...time to speed things up... ect".
    Thats also the reason to wear a ecodrive-quartzwatch,although as a collector i love the idea of mechanical watches.I want reliable time tools that need no maintance.

Froley likes this.
  14. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

I stopped wearing watches for a number of years when i got my first mobile phones but after a while I got back into watches and now I don't like being without one. As has been mentioned before it's faster and easier to look at a watch, it doesn't draw quite as much unwanted attention in certain areas as pulling out a shiny smart phone will, looking at it at night won't ruin your night vision, it won't die in a day and it will take much more of a beating than a phone unless it's a nokia brick :p

UmbertoTortallini, sino2 and 313 like this.
  15. FateOne

FateOne Loaded Pockets

I have to have a watch even though I stare at a screen all day with a clock in the corner. When I'm not at my desk I can quickly check the time without digging out my phone. As it is habit, I usually turn my wrist and look at my watch rather than the computer clock.

A nice watch is also a bit of a statement. I like to wear something a bit classy, not expensive, and a tool watch that I don't have to cry over a few desk diving marks. Today's mancessory is an Anstead Oceanis v2.

Sao, sino2 and dplafoll like this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yes and no. Generally I don't wear a watch around the house nor for sleeping. I do wear one when I leave the house. However, for religious reasons I do not wear a watch on Shabbat nor most Jewish holidays; as there is a prohibition on those days against carrying items ...

I have several watches several of which I wear on different occasions:
    • Casio solar model AL180AMVV-1 This is a very retro digital watch; half the face consists of a solar panel. Very lightweight, SS bracelet, reliable, but no lume. I doubt it is still available; I bought mine in 2014 from Amazon but they no longer have it.
    • Seiko 'Sports' automatic day/date. SS bracelet, gold colored accents. Bit heavier; definitely bulkier than the Casio. Keeps good time and is more dressy.
    • Vostok Europe TU-144 automatic date. Has a wheel showing hours 1 - 24; 12 - 24 in black. Their way of showing if the watch is on AM or PM. This thing is a tank. Heavy SS bracelet. Watch itself is heavy. I haven't worn it for several years. Post for bracelet kept popping and local shops don't seem to carry the proper replacement. I'd like to wear it if I could get this resolved...
    • Seiko solar day/date. Leather strap. Anxiously awaiting its arrival! IT ARRIVED! A more traditional and formal watch than the others... Reserved for dressy occasions.
    Moshe ben David

Last edited by Moshe ben David, Jul 18, 2016
    UmbertoTortallini likes this.
  17. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

I really want to be able to justify wearing a watch sometimes.
    But its a hazard to safety.
    Adds extra unnecessary weight.
    Doesn't add any extra functionality.
    I suppose if you are an office worker and the only thing you have to worry about is getting your watch stuck in a photocoppier...

18. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

I'd be very interested in hearing why it's a safety hazard. Just in case I'm doing something wrong

19. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

For employment purposes watches are often safety hazards and restricted due to entanglement dangers near moving parts and metal to electrical equipment hazards too.

20. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Yeah. I work with machinery quite often. Its simply not worth the risk. A watch will get your arm ripped off or your hand crushed....