1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is your watch a necessary gear item?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by DayPackDeacon, Oct 31, 2015.

1. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

If anyone subscribes to it....I, OTOH, probably don't respect you. At all.

It's also easier to see if you're going to be late without doing the subtraction and panicking.

GrayMouser likes this.
  3. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Indeed!

4. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Just fashion I guess... looks come before everything else, and the watch is nothing more than a piece of jewellery to attracts the attention of others. If you wouldn't wear a watch otherwise (and are not used to having the time available) then keeping it to time seems pointless when actually wearing the item comes down to a whim of fashion and matching your outfit.

Being a creature of a more practical mind, it always baffles me spotting people dressed up to perfection in whatever style is currently trendy, and then ending up frozen half to death or soaked to the skin because being seen wearing certain clothing, however thin, cold or non-waterproof seems to be far more important than just sticking on a warm jacket...

I will admit to some minor form of fashion caused redundancy with watches - I have no need whatsoever to own a dive rated watch, given the deepest depth I will ever be able to take it (i.e. the bottom of the local pool) is exactly 1/100th of the depth rating. Or the compass bezel on one of my Seikos (the SARG003), designed to give you a bearing based on the position of the sun that I have no need for - should I want a rough direction I can do that bit in my head without faffing about with the inner dial anyway.
    Pointless, and both worn more because I like the way they look, so to some degree I can understand why people would go the fashion route (and I have multiple watches rather than a singe basic Casio digital to tell the time), even if I think they have gone far, far off the deep end.

Gary Gross and thatotherguy like this.
  5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Narcosynthesis
    I can understand having watches that look good or have functionality one never uses or needs- I have several watches that way. What I was trying to get at is that I don't understand why some people wear watches that no longer have any function beyond looking cool.

I don't need a dive watch. I wear a G-Shock if I'm going to be spending time in the water. But I own a diver or two, just because I like them. But they still tell the time and the dive bezels (which I do use and find myself missing when the watch I wear doesn't have one) still work. As long as the thing actually does what it's supposed to do, I completely understand having whatever complications one may wish to put on a watch (even if they aren't used). At the end of the day, it seems like we have about the same opinion on this topic :)

6. Bama87

Bama87 Loaded Pockets

I just started wearing watches "full-time" about 4 years ago. Easy to see the time and date quickly when needed without having to pull a phone out/turn it on all the time.

Like others, for the shower and bed it comes off. Other than that, its usually on 98% of the time.

7. Pangcoy

Pangcoy Loaded Pockets

Hell yeah! I even sleep with my seiko. Checking my watch is the last thing I do at night and first thing I do in the morning.

Excalseras and Froley like this.
  8. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

Yup. I hate being at dinner or a meeting and pulling out my phone to check the time just feels really rude.

Just starting to do some serious watch research too so I will enjoy my watch as well as it functioning as a very useful tool.

Also why not have a watch? I have never once been inconvenienced by wearing a watch.

9. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

This is just an opinion---

I believe non-divers wearing dive watches was based on the world prior to the G-shock revolution...which now only a few of us geezers remember.

During those times a dive watch was the G-shock of the wrist watch world--it could withstand abuse somewhat better than the standard dress or casual watch in tougher daily professions or lifestyles that may never have included diving but required the extra level, (no matter how small) of strength built into "diving" watches. This made a difference as did the bezel time keeping function when there was no such thing as multiple timers in affordable digital watches.... the larger dial faces and more legible time markings available on dive watches were a plus and unavailable in many other formats.
    I am not negating the truth that people often hold true to the old Smother Brothers song lyrics---
    "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy, if you buy an outfit you can be a cowboy too."
    but----
    There were fewer affordable or available watch options back then---which is one of the reasons that tough affordable Seiko dive watches like the 7002 series made such an impact when brought back from SE asia....
    I think in some ways this is how the diver watch caught on and remained in production as the G-shock before G-shock....although now, as mentioned the dive watch is primarily a style over function circumstance....

sungame, thatotherguy and ran23 like this.
  10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Mine is.

I don't think about it when I do go swimming, which has lead to me killing a cheap watch or two. But, I think I've used scuba equipment exactly once...in a friend's pool...because I grew up with asthma and diving much beyond 1-1.5 atm puts you at much higher risk of embolism.

My Seamaster 300M with its 300m rating and nitrogen purge valve is definitely style over function. But it's gorgeous, and I don't care.

There just aren't many watches that appeal to me anymore. I knew this one would be with me for a long time when I bought it 19 years ago. Now....there's a few other omegas (speedmaster moon watch, deville hour vision blue, new Seamaster 300) that I wouldn't mind owning eventually....but it's not a priority, especially for their current prices.

I still like my citizen chrono, which is probably almost 25 years old now, but I never wear it.

Froley likes this.
  11. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

And if you did, you wouldn't know it had been that long... ;)

12. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

I'm a 24/7 watch wearer. I'd rather go without my phone than without my watch.

Froley, Excalseras and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  13. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Functional jewelry can't resist....
    Wear mines on my right, dominant wrist since my first watch at 14. I did tried to wear watch on my left a couple times, but I kept hitting them against things.

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

To think of it another way, it isn't a watch, but a bracelet that looks like a watch.

A slightly bizarre idea to someone who wears (and uses) a watch constantly, but really no different than someone hanging a sword on their wall or any of the huge variety of other formerly useful items that have been repurposed as decoration.

thatotherguy likes this.
  15. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

No. I never wear a watch.

16. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

It's a must have for me. I've been wearing a watch since I was six and I'd be lost without it. Also a rotating bezel or a stopwatch is a must have for convenient timing for cooking, tumbling brass, etc.

I also tend to practical clothing. I'm not a "mall ninja' but that's why I'm attracted to a lot of the "tactical clothing" options that are out there now. Rugged, lots of pockets, comfortable, etc. I feel like a fish out of water on occasions where I have to dress up but on those occasions, I wear my Vostok Amphibia.

I too, would rather go without my phone than my watch.

Gary Gross and Froley like this.
  17. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I wear a watch and I love watches. Always have since I was about 5 years old, but only really got into them about 7 years ago when I found an old Hamilton for $8. I prefer mechanical, due to thinness, but I love the auto Seiko SNK805 I have. I can't help but like watches, they're status symbols, but also serve a purpose. I also HATE pulling out my phone to see the time. It cuts the ties between you and the person you're with, and just looks unsightly.

Gary Gross likes this.
  18. mn_five_oh

mn_five_oh Empty Pockets

It is for me. On or off suty, even just around the house, I've got a watch on the vast majority of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I've now been without a watch for about a week, and it's driving me crazy. I keep looking at my wrist to check the time. I think at this point it has become essential, especially after buying this GWS. The combination of Nato comfort and tritium mean I almost never take this watch off so I'm really feeling naked without it.

20. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I walk daily and use the stopwatch function to time the walks. I wear a watch whenever I leave the house, but don't wear one at home.

ran23 likes this.