1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is your watch a necessary gear item?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by DayPackDeacon, Oct 31, 2015.

1. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Always wear a watch. Does'nt feel right when not wearing one ! But thats just me.

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I could get by without a watch as an absolute necessity - generally between normal clocks, my phone, all the clocks on computers, televisions and other electrical items I can find the time easily enough, and the few times i am out without access to one of those I probably don't care about punctuality anyway.

At the same time, I still choose to always have a watch on my wrist - always readily to hand, more polite and easier to check, and ultimately it is just something I enjoy wearing and owning.

At this point I have worn a watch for so long it would also just feel weird not to be wearing one...

I could survive without one, but I choose to wear one anyway :)

Weej and Longbow_06 like this.
  3. CRM114FGD135

CRM114FGD135 Loaded Pockets

Which SOG is that? Are those custom scales?

Weej and Longbow_06 like this.
  4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I don't carry a cell phone and I don't normally wear a watch. There is no clock in my commuting truck either. I mostly never know what time it is unless I'm in the office or in my house.

I'm mostly unconcerned with time.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Nov 1, 2015
    Cobra 6 Actual and Weej like this.
  5. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I always wear a watch and carry a phone. I find a watch is more convenient for telling the time unless I happen to be looking at the phone at that moment. Where my behavior has changed with smart phones is that I now have almost no use for the complications on a watch. good apps do that better and cheaper

Weej likes this.
  6. Ben Rubinstein

Naked without a time piece (pocket watch is my EDC).

Weej likes this.
  7. Harrison M

Harrison M Loaded Pockets

My watch is the only EDC item that I can not leave the house with. I've worn a watch just about every day for the last decade so its become a pretty important piece of my life. Even when there is a clock on the wall or I'm looking at my phone I'll still look at my watch for the time.

Weej likes this.
  8. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

99,999% with me all the time.

Weej likes this.
  9. Hussar305

Hussar305 Loaded Pockets

I started wearing a watch about two months ago. Now it is essential 99% of the time.

Weej likes this.
  10. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't say a watch is necessary. I sit in front of a computer all day, I just have to look at the corner for the date and time. However, I got used to having a watch on my wrist, so much so, I invested some money to get quality wrist watches, so I can guarantee I will wear them. I find divers particularly useful for me. I don't dive, I can't even swim, but the rotating bezel acts as a countdown for when my meeting starts.

Weej likes this.
  11. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

Does my life depend on it? No. Are they handy, classy, and just all around cool? Yes. I don't use my phone for the time because one of my pet peeves is people who have their noses stuck to their tech all of the time. I have been wearing a watch for as long as I remember, provably since I was about 5 or 6, and I can't see myself going without one any time soon.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Tapatalk

Weej likes this.
  12. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

The only time I take my watch off is to shower. I don't need to take it off even for that but I don't want it getting soap scum on it. I'll forget my wallet before I forget my watch. When I first joined the Navy I went to SERE School and they took my watch. It was worse than being water boarded! I've worn a watch on my left wrist for the last 30 years of my life.

Weej likes this.
  13. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

I shower with my watch on and don't have that problem.

I have gotten to the point where my wrist doesn't feel right without my watch on, I can't even sleep if its off

Weej and MCPOWoller like this.
  14. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

My watch goes off when I go to bed, and back on after my shower in the morning when I dress. It's a basic clothing piece.

kennedjt, theirishboxer and Weej like this.
  15. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

What wrist do you guys wear watches on? I'm curious.

theirishboxer and Weej like this.
  16. Rudy222

Rudy222 Loaded Pockets

The wearing of a wristwatch is not only a convenience but can also show a bit of personal style. I've worn a watch daily since 1968. I wear a watch for the sheer convenience of it.

17. CloneTrooper

CloneTrooper Loaded Pockets

I find a watch to be necessary for my EDC. Although, I admit, that I'm odd about watches, and generally find myself alone among my peers as to the value I put into wearing a watch.

Firstly, my schedule can be tight, and in between meetings, driving, carrying my gear, a watch is simply more convenient than digging out my phone. I am also less prone to get distracted by checking the time on my watch, as all the smartphone distractions are absent.

Secondly, I'm into men's fashion, and I feel a watch is necessary to a completed outfit. Classier to check the time on your wrist sort of thing.

Thirdly, most watches I wear have more than timekeeping features that I find useful. Even the most basic watch can be utilized to determine a more accurate bearing than staring at the sun alone.

Fourthly, I just love watches :D

Last edited by CloneTrooper, Nov 2, 2015
    theirishboxer, microbe and Weej like this.
  18. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

Oddly, my left which happens to be my strong hand.

This, 100%

Sent from an alternate dimension using Tapatalk

CloneTrooper, theirishboxer and Weej like this.
  19. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

No. I like to wear watches and I usually do but it is not a necessary piece of gear. I like it and it is convenient but sometimes (such as today) I go without.

When I'm working I'm not wearing a wristwatch at all.

theirishboxer likes this.
  20. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

For me it is a must have item. Just yesterday I was not familiar with the pin system on how my new watch band is held together. So instead of of poking around with a 1000 dollar watch I am not familiar with I took it to my watch guy in the mall I trust. So while the wife and I are waiting with a coffee and tea a gentlemen asks me the time. I said sorry I don't know even though I had the phone in my hand never thinking of checking it. Where my wife goes straight to her phone to tell the man. While all her watches have dead batteries and just wears them as jewelry and not something to tell time with.

theirishboxer likes this.