1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is there really a point to a GPS watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by JonM1911, Jul 17, 2013.

1. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

So I've got a Casio Pathfinder. Its great, I like it...atomic, solar, fires nukes, etc. The problem is I NEVER wear it. I've been toying with the idea of buying a Suunto Core, but why? Why do I need all that stuff? Sure it looks cool and I like the features, but I've also been planning to buy a handheld GPS, so do I really need all the same stuff on my watch. Then I started looking at simple Luminox watches. Of course you look at that price and go, well I could get a Core for that and you're back to square one....So annoying. So, Luminox Recon Pointman ($250ish new on Ebay)or Suunto Core ($200 new on ebay) ....Go!

Help me wave :bye: to some money....

2. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

I've got a PAG-240 Pathfinder, and personally...it was worth every cent of the $250 I dropped on it.

And if you don't need it...don't buy it. Get a simple g-shock. The reason I have mine, I need the features on it. I'm an avid hiker and outdoorsman, and I shoot long range. So pressure, altitude, and all that jazz are important. AND its durable. The only thing It doesn't have is wind speed, but that's what my wind wizard is for.

I'd say skip the Suunto, get a nice g-shock and spend the extra on more gear :)

3. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

my boss has a gps watch, but his is used for triathalon training etc

4. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I use mine for running.

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Give me the Pathfinder you're not using...I would wear another Pathfinder. (Not at the same time, mind you, but I could use a "dressy" version:p)
    The you'll have to buy something else:D

You're welcome:p

6. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I have two Pathfinders, and I wear one of them when I'm out in the countryside camping/walking/climbing. It's interesting to see the ups and downs of your journey on the altimeter, and the barometer sometimes actually gives me useful warning of rain. The compass is useful for getting my bearings in the middle of nowhere.

So it's never been essential kit to me, but it gets used. I rarely wear mine day to day - just when I'm off on my wanders.

7. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I'd love to have a huge rainproof GPS watch I could wear while motorcycling. If it could give me a distance readout to pre-programmed coordinates it would be awesome, but even just speed would be cool.

8. nicktodorov

nicktodorov Loaded Pockets

Get Garmin Fenix - the real GPS watch. With "map", waypoints, tracks, navigation, etc.

9. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Do you need a GPS watch? It's hard to tell. Do you exercise in the outdoors regularly? Do you compete in running, cycling or other events? Do you hike or mountaineer?

I'm very happy with my Suunto Ambit and wear it frequently even when I'm not exercising, hiking, etc. But, without more information, I have no idea whether or not such a watch would make sense for you, JonM. :D

As far as which GPS watch to get ... that also depends on your intended use. I'm not aware of another GPS watch with the battery life of the Ambit. The Fenix is nice, from what I've seen, but it's more money.

Here's a very in-depth review on the Fenix: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/10/garmin-fenix-in-depth-review.html

And on the Ambit: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/04/suunto-ambit-in-depth-review.html

The Ambit 2 and 2S are now out, but I don't have any experience with either of them. DCRainmaker has reviews on them though.

10. xnyne

xnyne Loaded Pockets

I have a suunto ambit and it is awesome. I use it anytime I'm excercising (hike, run, road cycle, mountain bike) or if I'm riding mx or enduro. Great for mapping new trails etc. makes it super easy to track training progress with the movescout app.

If you're planning to buy a handheld it might not be needed...... But 2 is 1 and all that

11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depends on your need. Less is more sometimes though.

12. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

You'll also want to consider longevity into the price. One thing I can say about the Luminox Watches, they may not have a bunch of bells and whistles but they are tough! I just changed the battery in mine for the first time in 13 YEARS. The crystal is still unscratched, and the original stainless band still works like a champ. Mine has been worth every penny. I'm not sure how many other models would last that well.

13. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

If you need a GPS enabled watch by all means get one, however if you don't need one everyday why
    spend the extra money.

14. ericjohn

ericjohn Loaded Pockets

My physician uses one to play golf in his free time. Don't know much about it. If they receive the time signal from the satellites then, I would appreciate the accuracy.

15. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

Why dont you wear the casio?
    Size? Weight?

I bought mine about 10 years ago because I liked the idea of it being able to do all that stuff. My wife hated it because it was huge but it was comfortable and titanium so I didnt get the rash I normally get from most stainless and all plated watches.

10 years later I'm still wearing it and it shows a lot of 'character', this thing has proven to be incredibly durable.
    The barometer gets checked a couple times a year when we're camping and want to know if it'll rain. It/I've been accurate enough that my wife believes me when I say it will/wont. She still doesnt like the watch.
    The compass might get checked a couple times a year and I've only used the altimeter once (other than hitting the wrong button).

I've also thought about switching to a Sunto because I like the look and more functions is more.
    In the end though I doubt that I'd end up with a watch that's as durable and I like having a piece of gear where I don't need to worry about the batteries.

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Used mine this weekend to track a kayak paddle/workout on the river.